TKR Blue skies and a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news Shelly - you did it girl! Woo hoo!

I had the spinal and femoral block - and the itching! They told me it is a reaction to the spinal and like you I had IV Benadryl, second bag finally gave me relief. Hope it does for you too.

I'm so glad you're resting comfortably, isn't it wonderful to be on "the other side"?

Heidi

Hope you are feeling better today and the itching has subsided a little. Hope your blue skies and new knee are improving. Take care

I was told I would get Fentanyl and Buvipacaine and that one of them might cause itching. Could it be one of those?

My two friends who had itching, had a morphine pump. But, let's ask Jo is she knows what might be causing the intching.Josephine. She is a nurse. Your nurse should have done this by now!

All the best for Tuesday @ImcMichael your the day after me! I'm sure you have those knots in your stomach like me. Just feels so close now. I was trying to find your thread to wish you well but couldn't see one! :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Morphine is the most common culprit for itching. Get someone to provide you with the where-with-all for cold compresses - paper towels, bowl of chilled/iced water - that should sooth it.

Congratulations Shelly! Glad to hear things went so well and you are now on the road to a great recovery. Hope each day gets better and better! Here's to your new knee! :cheers:

hi everyone, thanks for all the thoughts and good wishes. surgery went very well, I opted to
have a spinal with a femoral block and the nite nite med. I woke up fully alert, no pain. 4 hrs
post-op now, had a light supper and lots of water to drink. have cpm machine going and quite
comfy. only issue is holy cow itching. IV benadryl did not even touch it. Going quite well so far!
well done shelly i hope you are doing ok well we did it girl so very proud of us all i was also very itchy it was the side effect from the morhine that did it for me i thought at first i caught fleas or some think from theatre ha ha , :flwrysmile: marie .

I have made it to the middle of my third night in the hospital. I did have morphine in the spinal and something else (can't remember) in the femoral block. Morning after surgery atarax with a benadryl chaser was the magic combo. I was still pain free and numb late day 1, walked 30 steps. That night the pain hit I8 hhas of getting it under control were bad. Now OK enough to get to commode, do ankle pumps. Pain med kicking in now,will catch up with everyone tomorrow. Hugs xx

Hi Shelly:flwrysmile: , so sorry you had pain,:yikes: hopefully well under control now, I'm really starting to panic now, only 3 sleeps to go.:gaah:
Lee

Hi Shelly, Good to hear from you but so very sorry to hear about the pain. After your 3rd night in hospital, I do hope you won't have any more pain and are on the upswing. We're all thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better! Hugs!

Great to hear your post op report!

With my first tkr, the nurse did not explain to me that I should be taking oral Percoset even though I had no pain so that when the Pain Buster Ball wore out, I would have an adequate supply of oral meds.

With my second surgery, I asked for and took the oral meds from the minute I woke up after surgery---I did not have that day of getting the pain under control because the oral meds were already on board. Kelly

Shelly,
So sorry you had that painful night, it just seems like it shouldn't happen in the hospital...but sadly it often does! I had the same thing my second night, laid there trying to get the nurse to answer the call button and staring at placards posted in my room that said "Pain? Tell your nurse!" You can imagine what type of expletive laden thoughts were rolling through my brain :hissy:

Hope things are under control and you're resting comfortable. It really does start to get better every day!

Heidi

Hi Shelly How are you going? Make sure you ask for your pain meds when they are due right them down and ask the nurse when you can next have some more. Makes a big difference if you have that managed. Take care I hope all is going well for you :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Hi Shelly Hope they got your pain meds under control. Glad all the waiting is over and you are with us on the other side.

Hey Shelly girl, hope this finds you doing great! Just wanted to check in and see about you. Take care and post when you can. Hugs:yay:

Hi Shelly - how are you doing, girlfriend? :friends: I was thinking about you, and hoping and praying all went well. I know it's hard to focus on posting, esp. when in pain, and the meds affect thinking and vision. Hope the hospital is treating you well, I had a negative experience, that I I have mostly tried to push out of my memory, but in the back of my mind, I think I'm going to post about it later on, just to have it on record. I was surprised, to say the least, this hospital had such a great reputation, but there are obvious things going on behind the mantel of "care".

All the best to you for a smooth recovery, and can't wait to see you checking in to let us know what's been going on.

Big hugs to you!! :console2:

Hi everyone!! I have thought about all of you every single day, but just have not had energy to get the computer and put thought into words. Seems like overnight that changed!
The second night in the hospital when the blocks wore off and the pain was HOLY COW bad, I would get it beat back a bit and it would come roaring back. Only had less than 24 hours of that. On Saturday morning about 8 am when my doc stopped in I was huddled under a warm blanked shivering and he asked about pain, and I said about 8 to 10 for 12 hrs straight now. And I also said I didn't understand how everyone is so concerned with you pain level and so forth, and then the morning nurse says "I am with someone now doing morning meds, I will be with you soon". He pushed my call button and said to get someone in with pain meds for me NOW!! About 6 hrs later pain was back to 2-3 and stayed that way.
I had a bit of a problem standing up and taking steps, I would get dizzy and feel a bit woozy and sweaty. BP would drop and that kept up for a day and a half. I honestly felt ok other than that. I could get to bedside commode and would always sit up there for 20 or so minutes and was fine. I did stay one extra day in the hospital due to the BP issue, but that was it. And...I only vomited ONCE!!! The nurse who was chastised about my pain meds gave me IV dilaudid, plus two 10 mg percocet tabs. My wonderful room-mate got me my basin and that was the only sick time I had. I always made sure I asked and understood what I was getting every dose of everything. I just could not take two percocet 10 at the same time, but one every 2 hrs was good.
I have thought about all of you, and will try to visit everyone to see how you are doing. Thanks for your warm wishes and virtual hugs. I felt your presence every day.
I will be back to continue the saga, I have to laugh how things get planned around a trip to the bathroom!! All in all, I have no real complaints at this time. Gratitude and blessings.

:flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member