Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR Blister on the wound

Fauvel

Country
Canada Canada
Had TKR january 2019. (Still walking with a cane but scar healed well).
I now have a blister (1/2 inch long) on the scar right in the middle of KneeCap.
It is reddish but not red around the blister.
Should i worry. I dont want to go back to surgery.
Is this an emergency? I sent email to secretary of surgeon but friday PM
i dont expect answer until Monday.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Fauvel - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Let's not call it a knee infection until we know a bit more about it. OK?
If it is an infection, it's more likely to be a superficial infection, rather than an infection of the knee joint.

Have you been doing anything that might account for the blister? Is the rest of you knee swollen or painful? Is the redness showing any signs of spreading?

It would be helpful if you can post a picture of your scar and the blister.

If your knee gets worse over the weekend, go to the Emergency Department. If it doesn't, but the blister is still present, phone your surgeon's office on Monday morning and keep phoning until you get a response. Failing that, see your own doctor.

If the blister should burst, cover it with a dry, sterile dressing.

OP
OP
F

Fauvel

Country
Canada Canada
Hello @Fauvel - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Let's not call it a knee infection until we know a bit more about it. OK?
If it is an infection, it's more likely to be a superficial infection, rather than an infection of the knee joint.

Have you been doing anything that might account for the blister? Is the rest of you knee swollen or painful? Is the redness showing any signs of spreading?

It would be helpful if you can post a picture of your scar and the blister.

If your knee gets worse over the weekend, go tot eh Emergency Department. If it doesn't, but the blister is still present, phone your surgeon's office on Monday morning and keep phoning until you get a response. Failing that, see your own doctor.

If the blister should burst, cover it with a dry, sterile dressing.
Well, i sent an e-mail to the Orthopedist's secretary Friday, got an answer Sunday.
I am passing Blood test today and seeing the Orthopedist Tuesday afternoon.
Surgery was TKR left knee January 25, 2019 (2 1/2 year) so the scar was well
healed. I am quite sure it is a superficial blister and there is no serious infection yet
but i want to see if antibiotics might be necessary (the orthopedist will know).
The blister is small (1/2 inch) but I am sure if it has leaked a bit already. It is reddish
but not extending past the blister area. It directly on the knee-cap, close to the metal joint.

The knee is not swollen. I rode my bicycle Friday ( 1 x 1hour) slowly though. I am sure it was there before but smaller. Maybe cycling made ot worse.

I have had a blister before but lower on the leg, away from the artificial knee joint.

Blister-B-IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yes, it looks superficial, but the wisest thing is to get it seen by your surgeon or, failing him/her, your own doctor/PCP.

Since you previously had a similar blister, it would be a good idea to have some of the blister fluid sent away for culture, to exclude any nasty "bugs"..

OP
OP
F

Fauvel

Country
Canada Canada
It looks better. Saw the Surgeon today and he is optimist. just have to be very careful protecting the blister so it heals without infection.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ant69
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom