Revision THR gavinmac’s long and winding road

Hello and a Happy Easter!
Thankfully surgery is now behind you. Good to hear your pain is less than it was back in November. I hope the next 6 weeks flies for you.
Be safe, stay well and have a good week!
@gavinmac

I am now 3 weeks and 2 days post op. (And 17weeks post op). So what is the significance of today you may ask? My staples came out!! So happy about that. The first surgery the wound bled and bled, this one is healing very nicely. November’s surgery I had 61 staples March’s surgery had 66! I thought the incision was longer. My two post op visits so far have been tele-health. My next one in 2 weeks we will take the road trip to actually see the OS and get X-rays. Only 5 more weeks of non weight bearing! Stay home, stay strong! :)

Awesome news! It always feels so much better when the staples are gone. You're coming along nicely. :happydance:

Yay! Glad you got those scary staples out. I didn‘t have them and was soooo happy!
They freak me out for some reason. Kind of Frankenstein-ish :yikes:
I’m sure it feels much better without them. You’ll have to update after your visit with the surgeon in two weeks. I hope the next five weeks of non weight bearing fly by for you.
Things are looking up, may it long continue! :)
@gavinmac

Happy Saturday and a Happy One Month Anniversary!
A flower for you on this special day. :flwrysmile:
Have a great weekend and please update after your upcoming appointment. We’d love to hear how you handle the drive and all the good stuff you hear at you appt! :)
@gavinmac

I saw the doctor Wednesday. He was pleased so far. He states we won’t Know for sure how it’s healing for a couple months but so far so good. I am now allowed to increase the 8 pounds of weight bearing to 50. That is so great because I’ve probably been doing closer to 25 than 8 pounds. So basically I’m going to just keep it how I have been until I see him the end of May. I am having some groin pain that seemed a little concerning to him. Hope it’s nothing. Still not supposed to lift to the side at all. But that’s ok, I have a leg lifter. :)

Hi...Happy Thursday!
Great news your surgeon is pleased with your progress so far. You’re inching your way to full weight bearing, woohoo! Consider icing in an effort to reduce the groin pain. It may help.

Thanks for updating. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@gavinmac

I saw my OS on Tuesday. The 2nd surgery was 9 weeks ago, the first 26 weeks ago.(Really [HASH=346]#3&4[/HASH]) He seemed fairly pleased with my progress. On X-ray he could see that the bone still hasn’t healed. It is in the right place at least and the plate, wires and hip joint are in the right place So the good news is the pain I’m having is still healing pain and should improve as the bone heals I go back in 6 weeks. He thinks in 6-8 weeks I should be doing better and in 5-6 months I should be pretty happy with where I am. He did reiterate that I most likely will need the plate removed in a year. So I’m not done but I’m getting there. I am allowed to walk with the walker, instead if being minimal weight bearing, and may start some light strengthening exercises at home. All in all I think good news.

@gavinmac nice update, sounds like you're getting there. Awesome news about being able to use the walker and weight bear now! Keep us posted!

Hey, Hey Liz :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and the pain has eased. Looks like you have an appointment coming up. Please leave us an update as time allows. We’d love to hear how you’re doing.
Until then...all the best to you! :)
@gavinmac

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and you continue to enjoy progress and the Summer.
Be safe and stay well!
@gavinmac

This update is a little late. Saw my OS on July7th. He says the bone is healing nicely. The problem is a couple weeks before seeing him I started having shooting pain down the outer side of the thigh. I’m was thinking ‘Great the bone isn’t healing, now what?’ So the bone is healing and that is FANTASTIC! However, I’m still having this new pain. He tells me it is the plate he put in rubbing on the IT band. This means the plate needs to come out, but not until next March. So until then, pain. I’m so sick of pain. I know most of you understand. I just have to say it again. I am so sick of pain!! I feel like the pain is running my life. I hurt sitting, walking, laying down, but changing positions is the worse. I’m trying to stay positive but oh my gosh sometimes it’s hard. On the upside I was allowed to start PT after months of doing almost nothing. My therapist said that PT may help some with the pain. I am so weak. I still can not lift my operative leg. I can walk pretty well with a walker and am starting to do little bits with a cane. So it’s not all bad. Thanks for letting me vent. At home around the hubby I try really hard to not complain. I know I do, but at least keep it to a minimal amount.

Oh boy, that is a real shame about the need to another surgery to remove the plate and it is very understandable that you are sick of being in pain. I'm sure you are ready to scream "enough is enough!"
I am thinking gentle PT may help, too. Glad that is now an option for you- wondering if some hands on work might help lessen the tension in the IT Band.
The good news is that your bone is healing! I'm sure that gives you some relief, just hearing that.

Thanks for letting me vent. At home around the hubby I try really hard to not complain. I know I do, but at least keep it to a minimal amount.

Of course you want to vent! This is a safe place to do so. We understand. :SUNsmile:

Wonderful news that the bone is healing. I hope PT can help you a bit and especially if they work on the IT band area. Just remember to go slow and do not do anything that hurts more. I am so sorry you have such a long wait to have plate removed and have increased pain. Sending calming vibes your way.

@gavinmac I've just read your story. You are so full of strength! I know how it is to be ruled by pain, and it just makes the whole world miserable.

I like the updates on this most recent surgery, even though you still need the plate removed. The bone is healing, excellent!! I'm really hoping the PT can help you with the IT band pain. Just wanted to say, I'm rooting for you!

Hey, we don’t mind late. We just like hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to update! I’m so sorry you’re still dealing with pain and that the plan is to wait another eight months before the plate can be removed. My heart goes out to you as I’m sure March feels like an eternity away at this point. Pain is such a drain. It sucks the energy right out of us. I hope you find relief through some gentle PT, but if the pain escalates, even minimally, please stop.

Come here and vent whenever you need to, we’re here for you, we understand and we care.

Sending a hug your way and wishes for a good week!
@gavinmac

Well it’s been a long time but here is my latest update. This is my 1year anniversary of the second (4th) hip surgery.
I ‘finished’ PT December 17 after more than a full year. The OS actually wanted me to continue with water therapy but where I was going doesn’t have that, and with COVID getting worse, at that time, I really didn’t want to go somewhere new. I still can’t lift my leg to the side while laying down but can when standing. I’ve gotten to where I can walk a mile without too much discomfort. The pain from the IT band has lessened greatly. Originally the OS said the plate would probably need to come out after a year due to pain, this month is a year. I told him it didn’t hurt enough to want it removed. He was pretty happy with my progress. So we are finally able to address my knee. It has been bone on bone for at least 18 years. Lots of injection and one arthroscopic surgery. But since my hip was thought to be infected I couldn’t have it replaced. Well, my hip is not great, but still improving. So I’m getting a knee replacement! I am really very excited for this. I don’t have a date yet. The type he is doing requires a CT scan then they make a 3D version of my knee and make a replacement that is just for my knee. So probably later April to early May.

Thanks for updating, Liz. It’s nice to hear from you. It’s good to read that your pain has lessened, hopefully it continues to ease with each passing month. Thankfully you’ll soon have your knee replaced. Bone on bone for eighteen years is a mighty long time! It won’t be long now and you’ll finally have relief from the pain and discomfort of an arthritic knee. Please let us know once you have a date so we can follow your journey. Until then, all the best!
@gavinmac

Hello Liz. :wave:
Congrats on your surgery and welcome to recovery! In an effort to gain the attention support and encouragement you deserve, it would be to your benefit to start a thread on the knee side engaging with those going through the same healing process as you.
Once you start a thread on the Knee Recovery side we can leave you the BoneSmart guidelines for healing. Lots of great info I’m sure you’ll find beneficial. Please let us know if you need help starting that thread. Hope to see you over there soon.
Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin healing.
@gavinmac

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks