TKR Birdwatcher's recovery thread

So... The day before yesterday, it was my 3 months anniversary! Can't believe it's only been 3 month. Feels like much longer.

When I was at 2 month, I wrote:
ROM 120
Started to ride my bike outside and it was going really well.
I was full of optimism, but also scared because I could not walk very far. 1-2 km
Knee still swollen occasionally (almost daily)
Took painkiller every day
Did PT every day

Today:
Well, though I didn't felt there were much improvement since 2 month anniv., I can see that there actually is.
ROM: around 130
Walking 6-7 km (3-4 miles) every day with walking poles
Bike ride outside 12-15 miles 2-3 times pr. week
I have days were I don't need painkillers, and days were I hardly recognises my knee because it's not swollen at all. One day I looked at it, and there were a strange bump on it... I touched it, and it was hard. Then I realized, it was my Patella. Hello again, Patella. I have not seen you in a long time :D Not as defined, anyway. I mean, I knew it was there, but there were so much swelling around it. I also have noticed that my knee is not so round anymore, it's beginning to look "knee-shaped". Far from perfect yet, but it's getting there. It's not extremely important to me, how my knee looks, BUT I am beginning to see that it is healing. I am getting myself back. And that is an amazing feeling :happydance:

I also have days were I feel there is so little progress that I will never be myself again, and were my mood is very low. Summer is here, and I just want to get out there, I want to walk 10-15 miles with backpack on, I want to travel... live and see the world. But hey... Covid is still active around the world, we can not travel outside our country. Our pilgrimage must wait until next year, - I am just so impatient sometimes, and feel everything is slow and boring.
And there is days with pain, not many days and not that BIG pain I felt before. But still, pain. I think it is normal. In the situation, in these days, I just get frustrated sometimes. Which also is quite normal, I guess.

I find things to be happy about. Yesterday I saw a big White Taled Eagle, it is a big, big eagle and we are so lucky that this eagle species is growing in number in our country. It's a new couple in our area, and we hope they will move in permanently.
I also saw Red Kite again.

Most of all I am grateful for my family and beloved, crazy, lazy Shih Tzu.

1591009828779.png

Screenshot_20200607-114444_MotionPhoto Viewer.jpg

Screenshot_20200602-224226_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
It normally takes a year for full recovery, which is 365 minor daily improvements (except for an odd day, when we go backwards)

Your patella!!! I love it... and totally get it. One day, you pause and realize things are getting back to a normal state. Your updates are great!

@Birdwatcher...I love your updates. My recovery is a week behind yours, and you’re able to do more than I can at this point, but isn’t it grand when you can look back and appreciate your progress? Yesterday, I met my sister for a picnic lunch in a lovely, secluded little park. I left my cane in the car (rarely use it; just a form of emotional security) and sat at the picnic table for over an hour just like a normal person. Last night, my husband and I had dinner on the patio of a favorite neighborhood restaurant, We parked blocks away so I could do a bit more walking, and it was all easy for me. I had some pesky stiffness and swelling last night and a bit of an achy knee before bed, but I’ve gradually learned that it’s all part of this process. Continued best wishes to you!

@Birdwatcher...I love your updates. My recovery is a week behind yours, and you’re able to do more than I can at this point, but isn’t it grand when you can look back and appreciate your progress? Yesterday, I met my sister for a picnic lunch in a lovely, secluded little park. I left my cane in the car (rarely use it; just a form of emotional security) and sat at the picnic table for over an hour just like a normal person. Last night, my husband and I had dinner on the patio of a favorite neighborhood restaurant, We parked blocks away so I could do a bit more walking, and it was all easy for me. I had some pesky stiffness and swelling last night and a bit of an achy knee before bed, but I’ve gradually learned that it’s all part of this process. Continued best wishes to you!

Wau, that sounds great too! Normal life...oh I love it.
Thank you, and the same to you.

It normally takes a year for full recovery, which is 365 minor daily improvements (except for an odd day, when we go backwards)

Odd days indeed, - and scary too.
A year... it's a crazy long time, when you think about it.

When it's all over, it seems like it never happened, and we ask ourselves "what was that all about". Time is a great healer. Thank goodness!!
I like that. Nice to have that to look forward to, hopefully :fingersx:

Hi everyone!
Question: My knee suddenly makes a squishy sound.
Could it be fluid?
Little bit of pain last night.
Now its mostly a feeling of tightness.
20200608_090833.jpg

Highly likely
Please stop analysing! It's just one of the multitude of things which come and go.
I'd just use a knee support or bandage, which will help it go away

Highly likely
Please stop analysing! It's just one of the multitude of things which come and go.
I'd just use a knee support or bandage, which will help it go away

Thanks

Yep, that fluid will come and go. It's nothing to worry about. Just part of the process of recovering.

So...today it's friday, and I am feeling like **** today, mentally. Recovery feels a million light years away.
Trying to respect my knee recovery-pace, but it is like I am going fast forward, but the knee has paused it self - or even rewinded a bit some days. I do know what I am doing wrong, and many days I also do it right, but - man...I am just so tired of taking care, resting, be patient, etc.
Really battling with mood swings. I can't remember it has been this bad, for many years now.
Also battling with the uncertainty of my future, and the instability of the knee's recovery. It is like a roller coaster... some days I feel like I have been good, but my knee react negative anyway. And to what? I do not always know. So I am just guessing or/and trying to remember what I did yesterday, that was bad for the knee.
Today it's just driving me crazy, and I am fed up with all this knee-nonsens. Also sad, that we won't get to travel this year. I am really missing our normal life, - as most of you probably are. Covid-19 blues, maybe.

Sorry...just needed to get it out. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.
:umm::mute:

I agree with you about this recovery being a rollercoaster. Just remember that it's a rollercoaster for everyone, not just you. I missed my whole first summer of fun because of my replacement, but the next year I made up for it and it was worth the wait. Yours will be, too!

I agree with you about this recovery being a rollercoaster. Just remember that it's a rollercoaster for everyone, not just you. I missed my whole first summer of fun because of my replacement, but the next year I made up for it and it was worth the wait. Yours will be, too!

Unfortunately recovery doesn't happen in a straight line. Coupled with all this virus chaos things are very complicated. Be good to yourself today.

So, today it is week 16.
Recovery is going well, I think. I am so happy today, because we decided to get me a E-bike. Today I did 41 km on my bike, in beautiful sunshine and nature. Loved every moment.

I don't take painkillers at the moment.
I can walk without walking poles. I am walking well. My husband say I am walking more natural. I think he is right, I have a better feeling of my leg, it is not a complete alien anymore. I use to feel like it was somebody elses leg, they had sewed on to me, but that feeling is starting to go away, - pfeeew, what a relief.
Tonight, in like half an hour, it is midsummer fest, and there will be bonfire and gathering at the beach nearby. Have no idea if I am spelling it correctly, but it is such a nice summer weather, 25 degrees celcius, blue sky. Because of Covid-19, it is not an official party, kind of crazy... they call it "burning of garden trash, and you are welcome to come and watch." We laughed a lot when we got the invitation. It's not a party, because we are not allowed,.... but let's make it a party anyway...but remember to keep distance please!

Grateful for my knee's recovery and for my new bike.
Hope you are all doing well and enjoying the summer.

We told you so!
Well done for hanging in there!

With feeling better comes the urge to do too much, so increase your activity steadily. Most of us don't.

So happy to have found this forum. ❤
Regarding the e-bike:...it is doing wonders for my knee! I can really recommend it.
I have already done 185 km and my knee likes it. Feels like the swelling is nearly completely gone, and ROM actually improving!? It's clear that cycling is better than walking. But I love walking, so I will keep on walking my rather short walks. (3-4 km without walking poles)
Saturday we are visiting a lady who has a dog trailer for sale, used. In good condition and to a great price. Can't wait to bike trips with our dog Albert, long days in the saddle without stressing about him being alone at home.
IMG_20200623_164354_091.jpg

20200623_125515.jpg

20200623_110334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties