TKR Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<

Jockette posted bertschb's ROM history.

Here's one from Campervan, whose ROM also developed slowly - but look where she ended up at 6 years post-op!
Your ROM can continue to improve for a very long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "

@Bionic I've found using my office chair quite useful. I plant my foot and very slowly roll the chair forward just to the edge of discomfort. I sit that way for a couple of minutes then I can usually roll a little farther forward, hold it again and I can generally get at least one more. I know I'm bending further than I get in PT and without any pain.

I never had anyone bend my knee nor did I bend it to try and increase my bend. I just used it normally as much as it allowed at the stage of recovery I was in.

@Bionic , my PT is working on my flexion in a similar way. When I hit the point of slight discomfort, I tell him to stop and he holds it there for a few seconds. He can feel when it’s getting to its limits, too. I work on this 3 times each day at home, too. There are times when I skip it, especially when I know my knee has some swelling. I know this method is frowned upon, but it works for me. I rehabbed my left knee in this manner, too. He calls it ‘chipping away a little at a time.’ He has me warm up with one of those big huge exercise balls. I lay on my back with my heels up on the ball and I slowly roll the ball back and forth for a few minutes. I do this at home, too. And my OS recommends taking a pain med prior to PT. For me, it makes me more relaxed so that I don’t fight against the stretching. Like I said, I know many frown upon this, but I am okay with it and it works well for me. I totally trust my PT and know he wouldn’t hurt me. I am in charge of how far the stretch goes. That trust makes all the difference. We’ll get there :friends:

@FCBayern
That's a good idea about the office chair. I'm going to try that.

@Irish471
My physio keeps telling me to relax too and that's what the oramorph is to help with. Maybe my post sounded like the physio is being harsh but both of them stop when I ask and just hold the position for a few seconds.
The amazing thing is that I always leave the physio without pain.

The huge exercise ball (we call them Swiss balls here) sounds like a good idea. I have one of those here too so will give that a go later.

Thanks

@Bionic , my knee feels much better after physical therapy, too! Less stuif and moves much better. For the ball, he has me go in three stages on each ball roll; first roll is just a small one, followed by a second roll going a little further and on the last roll, take it as far as you can. This cycle is repeated for several minutes and then we work on flexion for a bit. Hope that makes sense :)

It was physio day again today.
This time she gave me a good massage. She could feel the quads were very tight and spent a while trying to loosen them up. While she was doing all of that she had her leg against mine and was gently pushing back as we talked.
Result 90 ROM and very little pain :thumb:

She told me to go home, and whilst the muscles are loose, to do some more exercises and then ice.

@Bionic that’s great news. I find after physio I can move much better. The next day is difficult. I have been discharged now so need to make sure I do carry in with my exercises to strengthen this knee a bit more.

YESSSSS.....
Physio today and I got 90% ROM and it wasn't too difficult.

Although I am having physio next week I won't see this physio again for 2 weeks. He has set me a challenge. He wants me to be able to climb stairs one foot after the other by the time I see him next. Luckily the stairs outside the physio office are fairly shallow so don't think that will be a problem.

He was pleased with my progress today and will be seeing my OS this afternoon so will tell hi the good news

@Bionic Congrats on the ROM milestone... :thumb: Glad to hear you are progressing well... :yahoo:

Had to pop over and see how you were faring with your knee recovery.
Happy to see all getting well.
So much you have had to get through over this past year but you have faced these challenges head-on with positivity and grace.
Do pat yourself on the back!:tada:
(As I can't reach you.):) :-) (:

Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all doing well. I have had a very busy weekend. A birthday party on Friday evening, film club get together on Saturday and my brother in laws birthday tomorrow.

I have had to take food to each event so thought you might like to see a couple of pictures. A pavlova from Friday and the birthday cake for tomorrow. I have gold candles to go on it when I get there. Its a 4.5 hour drive (I'm not driving) so I hope the cake makes it there ok.

Wow, very nice!!

Looks like you are an amazing baker!

@Bionic - I'm very sorry, but there was a glitch with your photos of the cakes. Please can you re-post them, preferably in a slightly smaller size?

As per Celle's post, here is a smaller pic of the cake I made for my brother in laws birthday party last Monday. Birthday guests were very impressed and one even asked if I am a professional baker :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 194
Looks lovely AND yummy!
Hope all is well with you, @Bionic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties