TKR Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<

I lifted my leg with either a therapy band or the handle of my cane until I could do it without. As for the heel slides, I managed about 2" to begin with. It will come, give it time. It's very early days, don't try to run before you can walk. Your knee obviously doesn't feel ready to tackle too much after all it's been through.

:hi:Just wishing you a good day!

@Bionic Glad to see you're doing so well... will be following you along with both our recoveries.... :friends:

...hope you continue to improve and wishing you a speedy and full recovery...:beer:

I've managed to crack getting on and off the bed on my own. I slide the good leg under the bad and am able to take the weight of the bad leg on my good leg and slide both legs off together :)

The next good thing today is that bathroom gate is over. It took 7 days but I got there in the end.

I decided to stop codeine from tea time this evening but if I can't sleep I might take the midnight one. Have to wait to see what happens.

I am still on 2 paracetamol 4 times a day but no other pain killers.

I hope all my other knee and hip buddies are doing well.

Off to get a wound check and change of dressing in the morning.

Goodnight everyone

The next good thing today is that bathroom gate is over. It took 7 days but I got there in the end.
:yay:Thank goodness and what a relief!
I had that problem after hip surgery...horrible.:blackcloud:
You have to feel better dealing with this new knee without that issue!
Hope today is an easy day @Bionic :friends:

@Mojo333
Despite having pumpkin puree, prunes, veg soup, grapes, senna tablets and dulcolax nothing had worked. I remembered that previously when I had the problem the Dr' gave me some sachets on prescription that I never used. So got them out yesterday and it only took 2 sachets and it wasnt difficult. :spin::dancy:
They are called Laxido if anyone is interested.

Went to the nurse to have the wound looked at today and she said everything looks very good.

I was threatened with a suppository in hospital. The threat worked wonders :rotfl:

I was threatened with a cath reinsertion if I didn't urinate.
I begged for more time and the last time, I decided I was NOT getting up from the toilet until something came out , because I was NOT going to be re-catheterized!!! :yikes:

Went to physio this morning for the first time since the op. I was a bit worried as I haven't been able to do much in the way of exercise due to the swelling and bruising.

Physio in the UK, generally, seems to be quite different to elsewhere. I didn't get any hands on, which I wasn't complaining about, as I was afraid of being hurt.

He said my ROM was 60. Whilst I wasn't surprised I was disappointed but PT said it was due to the bruising and the fact that my staples are still in. Although very reluctant to compare patients he said I was about 'average' for this stage.

I was told to continue with the exercises I was already doing which should feel easier after the staples are removed on Friday. He will see me again 2 weeks today and will give me some strengthening exercises.

I asked about using a stationary bike and he said that as soon as my knee is able to bend enough to do a rotation then do them without any resistance.

As I haven't been sleeping well I have come to the conclusion that I have started reducing my meds too quickly. Apart from 8 paracetamol which I have been taking 4 times a day, I am able to take 8 codeine at the same time but I had cut the codeine down to just 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. So have now decided to have 1 codeine each time I take the paracetamol and see how I get on.

This forum system does not like large photos, you will have to resize it.

Go very easy on the exercises, you really only need some movement this early, not reps of exercises. Don’t do any of them that hurt right now. Remember, less pain equals more gain.

Less pain of exercises might also equal less need for pain medication, to some extent. You knee will hurt enough without adding painful exercises.

I think it was at about 4 or 5 weeks I got my first decent night's sleep regardless of painkillers. Try not to stress over it and just grab some sleep when you can. Glad the physio went ok.

@Bionic Congrats on the positive update with physio! I would not worry at all about a ROM of 60... it will come with time and right now it's VERY early in the process.

I hope you find a way to get into a good sleep pattern. I think that will help you tremendously.

Hang in there and best of luck moving forward!:friends:

@Jockette
Luckily the physio agrees with you about taking things easy. Rules are don't try to do them all at once.
Just do a few small movements at a time and then rest, elevate and ice.

He said that once the staples are out and the bruising has gone I will be able to do more but not to stress myself out trying to do too much now.

This is the picture I was trying to post yesterday

Attachments

• 15524669802312138831070.jpg
    15524669802312138831070.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 196
Ouch. That looks sore. It sounds like you are doing well. I hope sleep comes soon. I elevate and ice in bed through the day, close the curtains and manage to snooze. Keep going, you can do it x

That's some bruising. I'm amazed still that I never had any bruising, but put it down to having a wound catheter. I bruise very easily usually - maybe that's why they put the catheter in? I hope things improve once those staples are out.

Thanks @Lindylee
My bruising is quite pretty, looks a bit like leopard skin. I didn't bruise much with the hip replacements. This is something else.
Yes, rollon Friday when the staples come out. nurse has told me to take an extra pain killer as it might be sore.

That's quite the surgery souvenir.... :wow:

My brother had similar bruising and I've seen that quite common with other TKR surgeries. I had no significant bruising at all. I believe this bruising is due to use of a tourniquet during surgery.

Great to hear your staples come out in a couple days.... another day toward complete recovery... best of luck!:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom