TKR Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<

I’m sure things will start to improve. Hospitals are a tough place to sleep anyhow. You just about fall asleep and they wake you up to take your temp :gaah: Sending well wishes your way. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Just letting you now that I am thinking of you. Hope you have been able to get some rest today. x

I slept very little the first few weeks. I'd sleep a few minutes then wake up for an hour or so. This went on around the clock. As long as you sleep sometime, all that adds up to the 24 hour day. Take as many naps as you need.

Got up yesterday and came over very faint. Had to go back to bed with oxygen :-(
Thinks are better today, apart from me not eating now, physio have just 'done' stairs with me and are very pleased so I am being discharged this afternoon.
This knee op isn't for the faint hearted though.

This knee op isn't for the faint hearted though.
:console2:
I had low blood pressure the day after surgery, I think they told me it could be due to either the anesthesia or the pain medication, I don’t remember which. It didn’t last long.

That’s great that you managed the steps and you’ll be discharged today. There’s no place like home.

Glad your doing well. Hope your doing well at home your first day. Looking forward to follow your journey.

Hi, thinking of you and hope the pain meds are working. Do blog your recovery as I will find it very useful.... hope your appetite recovers !

Rougher stuff than hips, pain wise?
That's how it appeared to me as my father had knee replacement a week after I had my hip surgeries.
Thinking of you and glad you will be going home soon.
Hugs, @Bionic :angel:

I had issues with low blood pressure for a couple of days, passed out 3 times, not had it with other surgeries so not sure why this time unless to do with nerve block instead of GA, but don't know why that would happen. Oramorph put me off food too until they halved the dose. I've had a few operations in the past, but this has to be the most painful. It does get easier though. How do you feel now you're home?

Got home yesterday. Managed the 16 stairs to the bedroom ok.
Had a better nights sleep than I was expecting. Set the alarm for pain meds at midnight and 6am. Paracetamol and codeine. They sent me home with oral morphine but haven't needed to use it yet.
I plan to go downstairs to the lounge later where I can sit in the recliner and practise some knee bends. Not looking forward to that.

Welcome home @Bionic, you're on the road to recovery now. Get comfy in that recliner, then elevate, ice and nap! Gently does it with the knee bends, they'll get easier as the swelling goes down.

@Bionic glad your home and doing ok. Setting your alarm for meds is a good idea. Hope the coming days are not bad. Prayers for your recovery. I'm close behind on Thursday.

@Jaycey
I am with you on not using force. My Os popped into the hospital yesterday and said I have to get my leg mobile but not to force anything. So at least we are all in agreement.
I have a cryo cuff and ice which I will be using in the recliner when I get up.

I'm happy for you that you are home although I do like the positioning options of a hospital bed :) That's quite the stair climb you have so go safe! I have heard from people that have had both knee and hip replacements that the knee is much harder pain wise than the hip. Of course when one is in the middle of any pain all of it is unbearable but I sure hope my knees hold out! Rest well in that recliner.
:flwrysmile:

Forgot to give the good news.
The TED's were making marks on my legs. I had 2 different sizes on, the larger to accommodate the swelling.
The OS surgeon popped in to have a look yesterday morning and told the nurse to take the TED's off, and providing I keep wiggling my toes, the don't have to be put back on. Result :)
Have just had some soup and a sandwich so my appetite seems to be coming back.
Now resting, elevating and icing.

Today's update -
I had a fairly good night again. It helped that I can find a place on my side where I can get comfortable although I am mindful that physio said I should spend much of the night with the knee straight.

I am still unable to get the leg on and off the bed on my own which means I need to get my husband up to help me during the night if I want to go to the bathroom. I hate doing this as he is suffering with a cough and cold but doesn't complain.

I'm also not able to do much when it comes to bending the knee. Trying the heel slides I have a fair way to go to get to 90 degrees. I feel I should be able to do more, not much more, but just a bit would be encouraging.

Have been resting, icing and elevating this afternoon.

You are doing fine. I couldn’t lift my leg myself for a couple of weeks, and my husband was very helpful with no complaints.

You can have a slight bend to the knee, it doesn’t have to be perfectly straight. Too straight can be painful.

Don’t worry about your bend, it’s only been a couple of days. Don’t even start the “I should” syndrome. :console2:It will all be fine in due time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back