TKR Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<

Bionic

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well, my LTKR is being done tomorrow. I have to be there at 7am so I am assuming I will be first down which will be a good thing.
I have 6 pre-op drinks to take, 4 this evening before midnight and 2 before 5am tomorrow so I will set the alarm for 4.30am.
@Tricialen is having her TKR tomorrow too and @lotusbuds and @GrannyC are both having hips done.
@SurreyGirl this will be my recovery thread

So, best wishes to all of us.
See you on the other side.

Best of luck as you say see you on the other side.

:hi: My double Hippy Friend!
You showed us how patient and strong you could be through your THR recoveries...so I'm sure you will do well with this new knee.
Healing Hugs in advance.:roseshwr:

What are these pre-op drinks you have to take? I have had Cancer, TKR and 2 THR ops in the past 5 years and another looming but have never had to have a pre-op drink. Just curious.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

@Izabel
They were new to me too when I had my hip replacements. They are called Nutricia pre-op and are supposed to give an enhanced recovery. They are a clear, lemon tasting, carbohydrate drink. I was given these with my private ops and now again on the NHS. Its the same OS for all 3 ops and apparently he is the only one that uses them at this hospital.
I asked him why they are used and he said that usually before an op we are starved and that can't help the healing process. So he believes that these drinks help us to be fighting fit for whats to come.
I have no idea if they do what they are supposed to but I haven't had a bad recovery with the last 2 ops so who am I to complain.

Wishing a successful operation and recovery to all of you having surgery tomorrow. :fingersx:

All the best tomorrow @Bionic ! See you here soon. I'll leave your recovery guidelines here in case you need a reminder.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Jaycey thanks for all the information. It will give me something to read over the next couple of days

Well, I am back in the land of the living. Spinal hasn't worn off yet so it's bliss.
OS popped by and said once the spinal has worn off I can move the knee about in bed as much as I want but not to force anything.
Just ordered dinner, prawn cocktail, chicken tikka masala and chocolate sponge and custard. Mmm can't wait.

I had great food in the hospital! I do remember chocolate cake for dessert after dinner.

Just ordered dinner, prawn cocktail, chicken tikka masala and chocolate sponge and custard.

Are you sure you are in the hospital?
You Brits eat well!
They give us dry chicken breast, unsalted broccoli and Jello.:umm:

Good to see your post.:wave:

Dinner was good but it's 4.30am now and I am struggling to sleep. I'm not exactly in pain, just uncomfortable and can't find a good sleeping position.

That definitely goes with the territory you just have to do the best you can and try to be patient. Glad you are on the other side!!

I’m glad your pain is well controlled. Have you been up yet? I’m jealous of your menu. I work in the nhs and we definitely don’t provide 3 course meals!

That first night is the worst. I hardly got any sleep. I was so uncomfortable. It didn't help that I couldn't sleep in my usual position. TKR and lack of sleep go hand in hand I'm afraid. Don't stress over it, just nap when you can. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom