TKR Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<

Went to physio this morning and was worried that he might hurt me as my bend is not what it should be. He said they don't do things like that. Their's is more in an advisory capacity, letting patients know what they should and shouldn't be doing.
Anyway, he told me to continue heel slides and trying to straighten the knee and to add a few shallow squats and leg lifts. He confirmed that walking is very good but not to go to extremes. After all exercise he said it's ok to be sore for an hour afterwards but not for 2 hours or more as that is a sign that you have done too much.
The general swelling down the leg has gone but the knee still has swelling although the scar looks good.

I think I need to do a few more reps of my exercises so have just printed an hourly scheduler so I can monitor how much I am doing.
 
It's an American product but available on Amazon Gladwrap
That's not quite the same as we get in New Zealand. Here, it's Glad Cling Wrap, not Glad Press n' Seal.
[Bonesmart.org] Bionic's final op - fingers crossed<
 
he told me to continue heel slides and trying to straighten the knee and to add a few shallow squats and leg lifts
I disagree with that. Heel slides are not productive for flexion, not in any way at all. Nor are squats and leg lifts.
After all exercise he said it's ok to be sore for an hour afterwards but not for 2 hours or more as that is a sign that you have done too much.
I disagree with this too. There should be NO pain after any activity.
I think I need to do a few more reps of my exercises so have just printed an hourly scheduler so I can monitor how much I am doing.
No, please don't do that. It will cause you more harm than good.
 
@Josephine
Now I really am confused. I am taking things very slowly and don't overdo anything. I am really just trying to use the knee normally but it is so stiff.
 
@Bionic … wishing you all the best in your continued recovery... you will get there in time...
 
Went to physio this morning and was worried that he might hurt me as my bend is not what it should be. He said they don't do things like that.
Don't worry about your flexion (bend). It's still very early days and it will come as your knee heals .
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I think I need to do a few more reps of my exercises so have just printed an hourly scheduler so I can monitor how much I am doing.
Once a day is more than enough for exercises. Walking is the best exercise of all for your new knee, and you'll be doing that every time you move around the house.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Now I really am confused. I am taking things very slowly and don't overdo anything. I am really just trying to use the knee normally but it is so stiff.
Confused by my previous post? It's clear enough - don't do the exercises. Any stiffness you are experiencing is likely to be due to that. Does that help any?
 
It's still less than a month since you had this major surgery. It's normal for your knee to feel stiff at this stage. It's wounded and it's trying to heal and the stiffness is a protection, to stop it from being more mobile than it is ready to be.
 
I am really just trying to use the knee normally but it is so stiff.
It's normal to be stiff for several months. Exercises will just make it swell more which is the cause of your stiffness. Even if you don't see a lot of swelling outside, the inside of your knee is full of fluid. Can you easily bend a water hose that's full of water with the nozzle cut off? Nope. Your knee is the same way. Get that fluid out of there and the ROM will come naturally.
 
@sistersinhim
To be fair the physio said exactly that. He gently felt the knee and said whilst most of the external swelling has gone there is still swelling inside that is stopping the bend.
So yesterday, forgot the exercises but went for a nice walk along the flat seafront instead. Then stopped for an ice cream and the dog got a doggy ice cream.too :-)
 
That sounds like the perfect day @Bionic. You are so lucky to be by the sea. I can’t wait to head down to Cornwall for Easter as my mood always lifts when I can see the sea x
 
@Bionic I live in Warwickshire so beautiful countryside but couldn’t be further from the sea!
 
I am lucky to live close by the sea.... I'm feeling pretty good and headed down to the marina this weekend to check on the boat.... will send up some shore pics for all to enjoy!... :thumb:
 
@JDinCT
I hope the weather there is good. Have a great weekend and we look forward to,the pictures.
 
Doesn't a nice walk in the sunshine and a break from exercises do the world of good? We went out for one this morning.We're in a fairly built up part of suburbia 30 mins either way between London and countryside, but we are lucky to have several Royal Parks and lovely riverside walks nearby and just over an hour from the coast. I envy you looking out at the lambs though.:flwrysmile:
 
How peaceful and serene looking. We had a beautiful day down here in Va, too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom