BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[HIP INFECTION] Biofilm

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by candace, Apr 11, 2018.

1. candace

candace junior member

United States United States
    I have seen some posts related to biofilm infections. I would like more information since I have one. New orthopedic surgeon immediately diagnosed me with loose hip stem. Planned surgery to revise and replace. But he was able to pull out old hip stem with his hand and it was covered with slime. He put in spacers. Currently on IV antibiotics - invanz and daptomycin. Ceftriaxone did not work and was switched to invanz. Seems this new combo is working. This is my fourth surgery on right hip. My hip stem loosened after the previous three. Glad this doc figured it out, but bummed I'm still a work in progress.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Moderator

I'm sorry your hip became infected. We've had a fair number of members who have been treated for infection and they recovered and got back to their normal lives. Treatment is still a challenge though, as you know.

We have a few articles in the Library. Maybe you have found them already. Here's one:
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/knee-infection-what-happens-when-a-knee-becomes-infected.13171/
    I know it says it's about knees, but the information there applies to hips as well.

I gave your thread a red "HIP INFECTION" prefix. Do you see it? If you go to the list of threads and click on that, you'll get a list of threads about infection. That's probably the best way to connect with others who have experienced infection.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @candace
    Sorry to hear you're suffering with infection.
    Check out this article also as it mentions and explains Biofilm.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/
    There are several articles on infection in the Library which can be accessed under the blue header at the top of the page. I'm sure you'll find other useful information amongst the red Hip Infection pre-fixes as Alex directed you.

Wishing you complete healing and peace as you move forward.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Actually there is no such thing as a biofilm infection - biofilm is a kind of microscopic sludge that develops on almost every device that goes into our bodies. This sludge is made up of immature organisms that are not yet active. In themselves they are not active and pose no threat to us. However, should they start to mature and move out of the biofilm, they will then start to procreate and that's when the infection starts. But it's not a biofilm infection - it can't be because the organisms in the biofilm are inert.

Here are some articles about infection
    Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection
    Periprosthetic infection (Scientific Article)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Clipper

Clipper member

Wow @candace that really is unfortunate. This surgeon sounds like he has things figured out and hopefully he will get you fixed up sooner than later. Be patient and we are praying for you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@candace Just checking to see how you are doing with that infection. Hope things are easing for you!

7. candace

candace junior member

@Jaycey -- Thank you very much. The CRP levels are dropping, which is a great sign. Although the slimy substance on my right hip stem was cultured, nothing grew. I was not on antibiotics prior to the surgery, so I have no idea why nothing is growing. (A few docs asked me about whether or not I was taking antibiotics.)

My new surgeon is convinced I've had this infection since my first anterior surgery - 10/16. The right hip stem slipped not long after that surgery and I was in pain in my glutes, but they told me to go to the ER, where they discovered I had non-occlusive DVTs. Nothing like a red herring to raise its ugly head. Nothing said about glute pain but I was put on Xeralta.

Surgery for left hip was scheduled for December, but when I went in for pre-surgery visit, old surgeon discovered my hip stem had slipped. I ended up with a revision on the right and a replacement on the left. But the right femur had cracked a bit and I could not be weight bearing, so I was sent to a skilled nursing facility because I would not be able to handle my house.

I got home and improved. In February, surgeon released me. But in March, right hip felt weird. Back to surgeon where he saw hip stem slipped again, and this time it caused a spiral femur fracture.

Once again, surgery. He attached a plate and other stuff to help the femur heal. In June, surgeon released me. In August, weirdness again. My legs were a different length again. Part of the fracture had not healed. My CRP was elevated, so he did an aspiration of the synovial fluid, which was negative.

I went to PT. Nothing got better. I called surgeon. He was trying to figure out ways to increase my leg length. And then he referred me to new surgeon.

As soon as new surgeon saw me, he realized I had a loose hip stem. And surgery to do a replacement was scheduled, using the posterior approach. But when he went to remove the right hip stem, he was able to pull it out with his hands. And as I said, it was slimy.

At the initial meeting with the new surgeon, he did say that the main causes of loose hip stems was hardware failure or infection. The odd part is that except for August, 2017, none of my inflammation markers were elevated. I survived an autoinflammatory disorder whose indicators are inflammation makers. I know this stuff!! ;-)

I am hoping the infection goes away and I can get my new parts in June. I am retiring this year from teaching. The last 18 months fighting hip issues has worn me out. We had planned to retire in Mexico this summer, but that will be delayed by all this stuff.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Gosh - what a long journey for you! So sorry you are fighting all this. Fingers crossed you can get this controlled and move on to a peaceful retirement!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Layla

Hi @candace
    I'm so very sorry for your longsuffering. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.
    Prayers the infection clears soon and you're able to move forward in June.
    One step closer to realizing your retirement dreams.
    Wishing you peace as you wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. candace

candace junior member

Good news! I don't have a fungal infection!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Candace... This THR journey has taken a left turn more than once for you. I am so sorry and my heart goes out to you.
    Please keep us posted. :angel:

12. Layla

That is wonderful news, Candace :yay:
    Things are looking up :happydance:
    Hope the week continues to bring you joy!
    @candace

• Like Like x 2
  13. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Moderator

What great news! I'm really happy for you, Candace.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Clipper

Clipper member

Good news @candace! Retiring in Mexico sounds exciting. Be patient and good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:ok: great news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. candace

candace junior member

Woo hoo! My CRP decided to have a dramatic increase and infectious disease doc noted the skin had a cellultis appearance. Invanz dropped and Merem started. Still on daptomycin. I will be getting ultrasounds of the surgical area as well as a vascular one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Layla

Hi @candace
    Just stopping by to say Hi!
    Wondering how you're doing? Would love to get an update when you have time.
    Hope you're doing well. Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. candace

candace junior member

As I tell everyone I see at school, I'm living the dream. PICC line was pulled last week. CRP is still a touch elevated, but I've also had a nasty allergic reaction to the PICC dressing adhesives. I'm trying to use the cane instead of the walker. And because I am retiring with the plan of moving to Mexico, surgery to replace the spacers with permanent parts is scheduled for June 4. My teaching career ends in two weeks. Amazing.

• Like Like x 2