MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Gosh, they really have no idea, Jimmy. I don't know what to say except that neither your exercises nor she, should hurt you. If you don't stand up to them and say no, it will never get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband never did a blasted thing when I had knee surgery---why is your wife doing the PT's work? She should find herself a hobby and you should do your exercises until discomfort not to pain. this is a horror story. Your knee is bruised and swollen---yet you don't seem able to rest and let it recover from another assault on it. No one should be moving the knee into a painful position.

I have never had one minute of pain during my recovery---and my rom is very good. Jo has done almost no exercises and her rom is 130. You are pushing and pulling this poor, bruised knee---and have been doing so since the beginning. What was it that Albert Einstein said? "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Last edited by a moderator:
While the knee is swollen, the knee won't bend. Do lots of ice and elevation and gentle movements.
No need for lots of pain and "cranking on the leg" as my PT said.
My home pt had me relax my muscles (easier said than done) and applied very light pressure. I guess the theory is that you can tense up your muscles and that can make it harder to bend. But again, this was not to the point of pain--more discomfort.
But I'd say 99% of the time all the bending etc. was under my own power.

Poor billywhiz! Poor knee! It's injured and swollen and it's not going to do any better while all these people keep hurting it and you.

It's physically impossible for your knee to bend well while it is swollen and all this forcing and hurting is just going to keep it swollen.

For goodness' sake tell all these torturers to back off and get the heck out of Dodge! All your knee needs is gentle exercise, done under your own steam.

Hello good people. It's been awhile since I last posted as I took a path - the wrong path with the wrong people and now it's all come tumbling down on my head.

To recap in Aug2014, I had a TKR which subsequently went wrong resulting in an MUA a few months ago. That worked up to a point and after hydro and physio I actually got a bend of 80 which with hard work. I twice got to 90 - do not poo that as that took some doing!

My old friends, and the redoubtable Josephine, will recall I also had a massive lump in my groin a lipoma which needed to come out.

Now for the up-date bit which I need help and advice with much more than sympathy. Be warned it's an even more horrible nightmare.

Two weeks ago after tests and on site examinations of my left leg I was given an admittance date to hospital in Birmingham to have my lump removed. To my delight the doctors also agreed, without me asking, to do a further MUA on my still stiff and painful knee. I went in on Wed 4th Nov had both ops on the 5th Nov. I was put on a CPM machine and attached to my own epidural pack keeping my lower half numb. I was taken off the machine by two night male nurses to give my leg a rest. To cut a long story short, the next 4 days I was tended by nurses and people trying to get me to bend my knee. I howled in pain for 2 days frightening the whole ward and scaring off any one trying to help. I'd try to stand up, I did try to bend my knee but I was in so much pain they decided to xray my knee again as wouldn't let anyone touch it.

My surgeon, who had told me it was a complete success, was puzzled and worried. I had reservations about him as he was very very young and bizarrely fist-pumped me after I'd come to in post op room.

The xray showed not one but two fractures in my knee, which at least reassured the staff that I was a patient in agony and not a bullying oaf.

When he came to tell me my knee had 2 broken bones in it, he revealed that as I'd told him my old surgeon got me to 100 degrees during MUA, he had managed to get me to 115. He hugged me and began to cry as I was howling because I'd thought I had cancer inside my knee I was promptly taken to the plaster room where I was encased in a full cast on my leg. They knocked me out for this but on awakening the new doctor told me he thinks I was lucky as he managed to align all the bones during this time and there's a good chance in 6 weeks when the cast is removed that'll be good to bend.

The professor in charge of my case who examined me has given me two options:
Option one, the cast comes off in 6 weeks. If it's fine everything has worked and you will be great.
Option two, the cast comes off it hasn't worked. I bring you back in open your knee put a bigger knee in and see what happens????

Needless to say I'm furious and beyond sad last 14 months rehab hydro, physio and everything is all gone and means nothing. I'm desolate. What do I do now, my friends and how do I do it? I so wanna take action about my knee. I feel now I'm crippled for life.

Sorry, Billywhiz that I don't have experience or knowledge about fractures after MUA or the UK system to offer much more than sympathy. I understand your concern that immobilizing for that long will make it more difficult to get ROM back. In US, even as an inpatient, you can get a second opinion from another OS on the same hospital staff...if that is an option for you? @Josephine or other more knowledgable members should be along soon.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you, @billywhizz666 . :console2:
Josephine will be back to talk to you, for sure.

I hope that your leg heals well. If it doesn't, I don't think you should allow any of the people who have damaged your knee get anywhere near it again. You are entitled to a second opinion and you should get that for sure. I'd get it even before the 6 weeks are up.

Oh @billywhizz666 - your update is heart breaking! How horrid for you! I agree with Celle, don't let anyone who contributed to this disaster near you again! You need someone very experienced handling this. And if it were me, I would be on to PALS in the hospital making a formal complaint! Hang in there. Fingers cross this heals correctly.

BillyWhizz666,
What a nightmare this has been for you. I agree you need to seek out a new surgeon and team for your knee. They have already botched it badly and have proven they are unable to appropriately address your complex recovery. Josephine will be able to advise.
A fist pump, unbelievable.

Oh that's horrible! So now we see that this "theoretical" complication of MUA can and does happen. No advice, but I hope you heal well from this and come out better in the end.

OMG what a horrible tale. We will wait for JO--as I am sure she will advise you as to your next step. I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this. Which bones were broken???

Oh my dear, dear, Billy. I could cry for you. But instead I'll try and give you some options.

But I need to clarify something: I seem to remember that at some point soon after surgery, it was declared that you had torn the quads tendon off the knee cap and the muscle gathered up and was causing the lump in your groin. Now it seems that the lump was a fatty lump and has been surgically removed. Is that correct?

But back to the fractures: the professor is right - 6 weeks in a cast should show if it's healing or not. Though personally, I'd sooner they waited 8-10 weeks as you're over 60 and the healing process is likely to be a sluggish.

During this period you need to get copies of all your hospital notes and xrays. These notes should go right back to the beginning and include that first abusive physio you saw in your first week after surgery - I'm sure you remember her! - even including all the posts from this forum to give precise details your experience. And then you take them to a medical solicitor to see what compensation you might be entitled to.

I think you should also spend some time seeing who else you could go to in order to get things fixed if it becomes necessary. I can help you with this if you like. Just say the word.

@billywhizz666 I have read your thread and I can't believe what you have been through. I had an MUA at the end of October and it's no bed of roses. At the moment my rom is 45 degrees which is less than it was before the MUA. I hope you can regain your rom when the cast is removed. Good luck.

Dear josephine and friends thank you with all my heart for your concern...
I've been sleeping a lot as you can imagine sorry for such a delay....yes @ Josephine the fatty lump was removed same day they did the MUA..I'm not sure which bones they have broken but he did tell me one was at the back of my knee and I'm guessing there both femur bones..that's all that is tho a guess..
I've instructed a team of lawyers from " injury lawyers .com " and they were horrified by my story and promptly fired off a very detailed letter of complaint which I signed and forwarded..
One of the questions they asked which I agreed with was....why did you not x Ray Mr K's knee after the operation instead of putting him on a machine for 3 days....
Do not get me wrong I'm not looking to get rich with a flimsey claim ...I need answers and assurances about my knee and its future.....my meds are better this time I'm on slow release morphine..oral morphine.tablets to combat the itchiness of morphine...paracetamol..some stomach injection I have to do myself daily.... I will continue to post if some kind soul can remind me of the protocol and whatever I'm doing wrong...thank you Josephine if you want to advise me by phone I will gladly give you my number...take care Jimmy xxxxxx
D

@billywhizz666
As far as posting goes, you're doing just fine. Do keep posting here, because we're all cheering you on and wanting to know how things are going.

If you can, get hold of a copy of your X-Rays and your theatre notes. I'm sure Josephine will want to see the X-Rays and your lawyer will want copies and as much information as possible, if you have to go ahead with a complaint or claim.

To protect your privacy, it's probably better if you don't put your name in your posts here, so I've shortened it in your post.

How are you feeling now?

PS: If you want to send Josephine a Personal Message, go to the top right of the page. You'll see three small boxes. The first one says your user name; the second says Inbox, and the third says Alerts. Select the Inbox and follow the link that will help you to start a PM. Sending a PM means that what you write there will not be on public view, but will just be for Josephine.

Billywhizz666,
I agree with Celle, you are doing great with your posts.
Thanks for the update,

Billy - you sound so much calmer and in control this time around!
If YOU want me to phone and talk to you about anything, just pm me your phone number - that will do.
But I'd love to talk to you anyway. Though you'll have to leave it a week or so as I've had a really bad cold and now have laryngitis so no voice! You have no idea how hard it is for me not to be able to use the phone!

:tantrum: :tantrum2::censored:

Well friends when you think you have reached Rock bottom,it's hard to realise there's still a basement..... cryptic but true. On the16th Dec just gone I woke up with chest pains, they escalated to the point we're I was rushed into hospital with a suspected clot on my leg. I didn't believe it, I thought I'd had all my bad luck but no.... due to the cast on my leg being so heavy and not given anything to thin my blood I did indeed develop a clot.
It went to my heart and settled on my lungs.

I was put in scanner and told I had 2 clots on one lung and one on the other. For 2 days I was in intensive care and my family never left my side. God people, I'm not moaning but the pain was intense. Gradually I spat out in horrible lumps all the clots in my lungs,my breathing got better and they let me home on Christmas Eve 3pm.

I'm now on warfarin for at least 3 months. They took the cast off my leg and I start physio all over again on the 11th Jan. My leg is so painful, my knee is big and shiny. My ankle is swollen but I'm getting stronger every day i.e., my lungs are getting better.

I've escalated my claim now as I've reached the full depths of my patience and understanding. As you can imagine, I'm quite angry now and my family are walking round me on tiptoe like I'm gonna kick the bucket any day.

I had so many intentions to talk to Josephine and take her advice and if it's still on offer I need it now more than ever.

Take care good people. Take nothing for granted, be at peace with your family cos it could be too late to say sorry

Jimmy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks