MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Oh Billy please forgive Nanny 'nana

It's your MUA not PT durrghh :flabber: good luck with your op tomorrow.

We will be awaiting your return and catch up on how things go.

Sending you a virtual hug...love Nana moon 27 xoxox

Hello good people..had the MUA.yesterday...it never hurt it v was according to my consultant a complete success..an there keeping me in here till Monday..
I'm on one of those cpn machines 24/7. You know the one that keeps Bending your knee.
My physio typically set it to maximum so I felt my knee was gonna pop. But I've now adjusted the bend so it's stretching me but only to wot I'm comfy wit..learnt that from on here!!
They really do want me to work it 24/7 but there's no way on gods earth I can sleep with it running, so I switched it off at 2230 an put it on at 7 this morning.
My consultant told me he got my knee to : 95 on the table and got it lying flat he actually fist pumped me....yay down wit the kids....
Thank you for bein interested. Xxxxxxxxx. Jimmy xxxxxxxxx

Hi @billywhizz666

Congratulations on a successful MUA. I was very pleased to read that you adjusted the machine to suit you. Just do everything they ask you to within reason. Uncomfortable is different to aaaaaarrrgghhhh! So there may be discomfort but not unbearable pain!

Just ensure that you take your medication as scheduled on time. I know it's horrible being stuck in hospital, mind you it sounds like you slept ok last night.

You're in good, safe hands and this is your way forward, back to life.

Take care now

Love Nana moon 27 x

Hi @billywhizz666 Am 6 weeks out now after TKR in Manchester on the Choose and Book thingy, so got a private hospital and " The Knee Doc" a Prof. Jari. Good bloke. Physio had me on the CPM (too high!) and I would wait till she'd gone then put it down till it was stretching me but not painful. When I got home I did the leg raises and sliding foot up the bed exercise regularly. In fact quute alot really. ...but never so it hurt. Went back for a couple of physio appts but had a good bend so they were not too bothered. Need to build up muscle strength now.

Last time I went she had me doing step-ups which really hurt so had to stop it. Couldn't weight bear for a week after that! So just doing my own thing now. I have bought a big exercise ball from Amazon and slide up and down the wall for quad exercise. A small pedal exerciser I use for 15 mins at a time. Lying on my tum with leg dangling over the end of the bed to help it straighten.

I walk with no crutches and no limp and NO PAIN. (I know your recovery will be different because of your torn leg muscle and detached retina .....but am just reinforcing what others have said about what can be achieved the gentle way. And dare I say it - the Bonesmart way). The elevate and ice stuff of course I now walk round the block every day too, a bit further every day. Can't do stairs properly yet but am improving and can do the odd one but taking it easy and not worried! The Bonesmart guys and girls have given me the confidence to set my own pace!

I now only need co-codamol during the day and keep the morph for night! So basically keep it all moving but as gently as possible. Take as much pain relief as you need. Research knee replacements, medication, ice, exercises and what they achieve, etc till you're blue in the face. Arm yourself with knowledge my son!!!!! Knowledge is power. Don't take any notice of wife, kids, cousins, second cousins, district nurse, physio, Great Aunt Fanny, UNLESS THEY'VE HAD A NEW KNEE TOO!!!!!! Your body. Your knee. Your pain.

You're not going to get addicted to morphine/codeine/opiates just because you need them for pain - you will need less and less as you improve, you just won't feel the need for it eventually and you'll suddenly realise you've missed a dose because the pain has lessened. BUT if you need it, take it. Take whatever works for you.

So here endeth the lesson ..... keep the Bonesmart faith! "Nice and easy does it every time")There are 16,000 members on this site I believe. From all over the world. We can't all be wrong!!!!

All the best
Mel (from Barrow in Furness)

@billywhizz666 I may be out of sync with your recovery etc reading our posts 3am one of "those" nights, so forgive me if I'm not up to date with where you are!!! I do this all the tine! Getting old.....:heehee:

Hi @billywhizz666

That's a decent range of movement, the surgeon got for you there. Mine now is 120/0.

95/0 That is quite a positive result for you. I know you probably don't like the idea of staying until Monday but sometimes it's better esp with that type of machine they've got you hooked up to. You would not get that at home. It's even better that you have control of it x this way relaxing in hospital with that machine working your leg has to be a winner!

My knee remained bent and would not get 0 when "straightened". I paid for private physio and despite his best efforts he could not get it right. He suspected something might be wrong but could not say what. I could barely walk. I finally ended up with a revision last September and I've not looked back since x x

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox

Last edited by a moderator:
@billywhizz666 Thinking about you and wondering how your surgery went. Sure hope the surgeon didn't break your leg like he warned you he might. You have a great outlook on life! Now, let's get on to a good, speedy, recovery for you!

Best regards,

MotownGirl aka Robyn (originally from Detroit).

Annoying now...I've had 3 to 4 different physios now and I set the machine to. 80/90 an each one has set it higher like u won't get Better if your not in agony...the last one has actually replaced the Velcro straps wit bandages an tied. My leg in.....now I have to say 50 shades came out today here so maybe there usin me for practise. U ladies ave a lot to answer for!!!!!!
He's a big lad tho and he has worked the lesions in my knee wonderfully but painfully...still I can't complain gotta go my grandson Brodie has just arrived....luv him to bits 11 months old now!!!!

Is it my imagination or does it appear that the "worst" physios ie the ones who seem to want it to hurt, seem to be mostly female? Where does the "no pain no gain" ideology come from? Hmmmmmmm I think it's time for a quick Google......

Hi @billywhizz666

I'm sorry you're in pain. If you get bored you can always click on the link, under my signature at the bottom of the page and that will direct you to my thread. You are most welcome to read, comment, whatever. Please take care now
I hope Brodie enjoys his visit to see his grandad. I'm sure seeing him will take your mind off your pain and you'll love it x

Trouble is Billy they grow up too fast. My grandkids are 19,18,14,9 & 8 yrs old. Don't know where the time went. Seriously I don't.

Take care
Nana moon 27 x

Billy sounds like you are coming along slowly but surely. I bet you are glad that's over. I need to get to PT too. I really need to get over this cold first. :froggies:

Txt u Marty...know wot u mean about gettin rid of cold!!!!!just got out of hosp yest..and I was in there for 4 days with a barking cough annoying everyone..an yet not once did a doctor or nurse comment even wen...Lord forgive me..I coughed all over them as I cannot control the bloody thing...
Started a new routine this mornin in the local pool at 7 am and its packed with recycled teenagers..honestly it was like an audition for cocoon 4. Pensioners as far as the eye could see God luv em...
Still I walked an ran an exercised with the best of them ...now I'm in physio this afternoon but..my knee is still swollen from the op and all bruised. An as there bein very aggressive with it I cannot see the brusin and swelling subsiding
I'm very confident now that I'm gonna straighten my knee out...twice in the last 2 days it's got to 90, now when u consider it's been at 65 max for last 6 months it's gotta be good...
Txt u for takin the time to mull on the rubbish I'm spouting.....God bless

I have to admit that being aggressive with a bruised and swollen knee does not make any sense to me. My doc made me take things easy until the swelling disappeared. I think you are smart to turn down the CPM--how I hated that stupid machine---plus I had to climb over it to get to the bathroom!! I turned mine off whenever they left!!!

Keep icing your poor knee until the swelling goes down.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

@Josephine feel like crying I really do..I went the pool this morning done over an above wot I should of done.
Went home relaxed with ice on it till 1300 hours then went to hosp...quite a journey too.saw the female physio I had on the ward but wot a difference..."we only have 30 mins Jimmy" then spent ten of them form filling
Then got the plastic thing out to measure my knee...gave me the command to bend..and was horrified that with all my effort we were back to 65,,
After the obligatory omg it's gone backwards she turned me onto my tummy and done these exercises which left my leg suspended in the air whilst she pinched an inch by further bending it every time I relaxed..I did my best I sweated I'm not a wimpy guy I'm a sports type..my wife was Sitting there to learn the technique..she saw my effort 70''

She went away to get me the cpn is it??? To use at home...permission was refused so I've been packed off with a load of exercises to do with a real extreme...u have to hammer it Jimmy...message
Truth is the back of my knee is bruised badly an it's gettin bigger daily..she acknowledged my swollen knee by tellin me to counteract it wit ice.
I'm home now I've just done some exercises but I felt like sh##
Before began my muscles are spasming and I can feel. The lesions inside my knee...were oh were do I go from here

You are doing way too much for you and your tender knee. You need elevation and ice, and gentle heel slides.
As long as your knee has increased bruising and you have increased swelling your ROM is going no where.
Time for a second opinion and a new recovery team, Josephine can advise when she comes along.

I know you are disappointed, but don't despair yet. I think when the swelling goes down you will be able to move the knee again. Right now I would elevate, rest and contact another hospital for a second opinion.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back