MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

Cannot leave this forum to much info and good advice bein offered.....had my staples out last 2 days and having my first shower in ages today..bagged up and wit my wife.in attendance...lookin forward to it...my meds are under control during the day...but nightime well as u can see that's another story..as for my exercises well I have done 50% of them, as I do realize that I have to do. Some.

Off to the eye doctor on Monday..not really lookin forward to gettin in to the car.......I hasten to add as passenger not driver!!... and in the meantime. I have to posture to stop any more liquid escaping from my eye...well that's it for now fellow nightowls and in the words of the late great Dave Allen..May your God go with you xxxxxxxxx

@billywhizz666

I'm so glad you decided to stick around. :):yes!:

We're here to help in any way we can.

Be kind to yourself and make sure everyone is kind to your knee.

Very best wishes for your eye surgery.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
@billywhizz666. I'm now 5 months post op & just beginning to feel back to my old self! I also just realised that I haven't taken any medication for the last 3 days!

I can still remember all the confusion that you feel, we get shipped home from the hospital in the uk with not a lot of guidance. My PT only came to see me twice which I now see was probably a good thing. I rested & elevated a lot & iced all the time including night ( I bought a cryo cuff online & it was the best thing that I have ever bought) even through the night. I did my exercises 4 times a day gently for 8 weeks & then gradually reduced.

As soon as I could I took short walks around the garden (sometimes gently forced by my hubbie!) & then as soon as I felt able tried to walk round my village till I was doing half a mile most days. I am personally convinced that walking helps a lot with recovery. I can now walk over 2 miles comfortably. I never thought I would be able to do it without sticks but don't even think of them now. I still hobble/limp a little sometimes.

Now I use my exercise bike (this took a while to do) & cross trainer as part of a weekly schedule I have made.
I still ice in the evenings!! I still get some soreness & stinging but my surgeon told me that it would take 6 months to start feeling more human & it looks like he was spot on. My knee still bothers me but I feel that is because it is still healing& can't wait to see how it feels in another 6 months!

Crying must be normal as everybody seems to do it. As is lack of sleep. At about 4 months I started to sleep properly again.

At the end of the day I found that you have to listen to what everyone has to say & then apply some or all of it to yourself. Josephine gave me good advice when I felt lost with nowhere to turn.

You will feel better but it is a long road & much patience is required especially by your family.

I was not happy sitting in a car as passenger for 2 months so I feel for you having to go to hospital so soon. Good luck with your eye.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
18th march 2014

@billywhizz666 I wish you the best, you have really had a tough time! I wouldn't wish your experiences off on my worse enemy! Hang in there and continue to ice and elevate when you can. Take care of your self! Maybe the eye doctor can give you some better pain meds after that surgery! He/she might even recommend you cut back on some of your exercises! Wouldn't hurt to ask him/her.

@billywhizz666 Hi Jimmy I was reading that you were going to leave and now so happy you are not going to please stay know you will find as I did that this will be that best way you have of coming through all of this so much easily. I did not find bone smart until the third week after my surgery. Your story sounds so much like mine did so much more pain then I have ever had ever and wondering why I could not stop crying usually calm. I have a very support husband always looked out for me and never made me feel like I was not handling it wrong so lucky that way. Most people no matter how much they think they understand and try to understand do not have any idea what this surgery involves unless they have been through it . I had no idea until I had mine. Your pt sound like she feels threatened not all people are suited for this type of job some are probably great but not all are trained to deal with not only the pt but the ability to deal with people who are in pain and need encouragement.

My experience with pt was also very difficult the expectations were beyond what my leg would do I really tried did all I was told pushed past what I should have let them do. You sound very positive and so was I told that if I did not push and do what they said I would never walk again and it would be my fault.

My leg was so swollen nothing helped the medications prescribed just did not work.Actually when I came home from the hospital my pain was not that bad difficult to get comfortable but things were going ok managed to do the stairs outside our house and then 14 more to go upstairs. It was not until the first day that pt came to our home that the swelling became unbelievable and the crying started I think most of the anxiety was worried what they would say or what would happen the next time they camr around.

I found Bonesmart through advice from a friend and this was the time when things turned around for me. They advised just what was needed the gentle approach , gentle exercizes, keeping on top of the pain and do not let anyone hurt you I will go into my next surgery with this wise advice and know it will make the recovery time so much better.

I have talked to my surgeon about the method for the next surgery as I am on the waiting list for replacement of my left knee. He understands how much I went through with the first and says he knows I had a rough time he told me that he will not let this happen again he realized that the pt for me did more harm then good he will is asking me to start arrangements with the massage therapist that helped so much last time both mentally relaxing me and physically helping with movement. There as he said will be no aggressive pt next time pt doesn't work for all of us. Massages and gentle walking will be my movement instead of aggressive pt next time around which helped me start on the kinder recovery route. You may be surprised at your surgeons reaction if she did tell him he will be very disappointed that you have been put through this torture and her bullying tactics and threats will most likely be very frowned upon.

After talking to my surgeon realizing that his methods are based the same way as bones mart keeping pain taken care of he said do not let is get ahead of you take medications on time or it will be very hard to catch up. Pain control and rest and asking when you need help is also important I did not get as much time to ask questions last time. My flex after leaving the hospital was something he was pleased about and did not expect any complications. It started to decrease due to the pt and this was when the massages began. It is now however not as high as reached by some and this is possibly due to the aggressive manner that it was treated with during the first months. I managed great even so and pain is gone in this knee now. my surgeon was actually the one that discontinued my pt so he knew it was damaging.

Maybe you should see if you can talk to your surgeon you will most likely be surprised that he will be on your side and concerned that after his performing this expensive surgery you were placed in the hands of someone who is not trained or respectful of its need to be treated with kindness and care. I hope you keep writing you are in good hand here lots of experienced people Josephine is a nurse who dealt with this up close and knows her stuff and will steer you in the right direction and the advisors and moderators as well.
and of course all of your friends here who have been through the surgery and know how you are feeling. I hope this is not too long a post but hoping it makes you feel a little more comfortable in the ways you are feelings . Do not let them hurt you. Best wishes to you . Holly

Hi Jimmy! You might be interested to know your surgeon was just a locum so it's highly unlikely he'd be the least bit interested in anything the physio had to say to him about you! He certainly wouldn't be mad that you 'abused a £5.5k operation' as it's also unlikely he has any idea what they cost! Most likely he's moved on by now anyway! All empty threats! :wink: :)

Hi all...thanks for your replies...respect to you holly ..you got there in the end... Josephine I've read all you have fold me too and I've quoted u so much to my family and friends they now think your my guru !! Don't understand about ...your surgeon is just a locum ????....my surgeon done my hip 10 months ago and n o w my knee....the diffrence between the 2 ops is massive hardly any pain to speak of at all wit hip....well I'm off the morphine now as my wife was told by the nurse who took my staples out..that it's highly addictive and to wean him off it asap....which is perhaps why I'm lying here tapping away and not asleep....I'm not to upset about that as I did feel sick and woosey after it...cannot take tramadol so only on co codamol and ibuprofen now...starting to read some of the other threads now and my admiration for some of you is sky high...take care good nite Jimmy x x x

@billywhizz666 welcome. I've just started reading your thread. I've been away lately, due to my problems. I guess you've had a bit of pain. I hope you are managing your pain better...many things can crop of following the knee,and lots of things can happen. I personally had a heart attack, followed by A-fib, then by a stroke, which I'm in a hospital again for, then back to rehab when I leave here. I have not been doing all the PT I should do on my left knee because I had so much illness. It is really important to follow up with the PT on your knee, and it is important to take care of your body. I hope you can stay out of pain with your meds, and keep up on you PT.

Billy, you're a grown man, you are mentally competent and that means this is YOUR surgery/recovery. You don't need your wife or kids for recovery, just rides. I've been disturbed by a few of your posts where you sound like others are controlling your destiny, but your last post where you tell us you're off morph again and so quickly because the nurse said soemthing to your wife about addiction was enough make me finally stop biting my lip and say something. I was on morph for 8 months with my back and didn't get addicted. The GP ( not nurse) determined the weaning off schedule. I was pushed to the point of pain at rehab and refused to continue doing it and the world did not rumble to a stop. My rehab is continuing at my pace without drama and I will get my life back soon enogh.

Also remember these people you have hired and are paying for their service ( doctors, surgeons, nurses, GP, physio's) are there to HELP you, LISTEN to YOU, and keep your health (mental & physical) their top priority. Not your family's schedule, yours. If you 'fall off the clinical pathway' (the average persons response to this surgery), that is not YOUR fault, and they actually have to do something to get you back onto it. THEY have to do something and it doesn't mean YOU have to do more exercise or less drugs. It needs to be made right for you. That's what you pay for. These are your rights. Don't let them get away with poor treatment / service.

If they don't provide you with adequate medication, if they bully you, hurt you or treat you with disrespect you have recourse through the Quality Assurance programs and professional registration boards. Complain. Ask at your next appointment what the grievance procedure is and how they handle complaints.

I'm sorry to hear you're going to have to deal with two medical conditions at once now. You're on the right path. Get support and be educated about the procedures. Know your rights and insist on being trated with dignity. I'm off my soapbox now. You just hang tough and believe in yourself, okay?

@billywhizz666 I am sorry about your eye!! Be sure to let your eye doctor know about your knee - and ask him/her for specific guidelines for physical activity to support getting your eye healthy! I agree with Jo - you'll have to be extra gentle now that you are treating an eye issue, too. No Biting Pillows in Pain!!

And I agree with @dovemck about your pain meds. You need them still. You will not become an addict. I was on dilaudid (hydromorphone) every 4-6 hours for 10 weeks and tapered off easily. I can't imagine having to handle the pain earlier with less medication!! I know your wife has your best needs at heart, but she isn't feeling the pain and discomfort you are. Tell her so lovingly :loveshwr:, but be sure you are getting the pain well managed. It will make your recovery better and faster. The longer you hurt, the longer it will take to heal!!

I am so happy that you come visit us now and then!! :yes!:

I agree. You will taper off naturally as you need the pain meds less. Unless you have had a substance abuse problem in the past the chances of becoming addicted are very slim. Remember we're not taking them for fun, we have real pain which needs to be treated to aid our recovery.

Just read through your story @billywhizz666 - what a horrible start you've had, and really sorry to hear about your eye. It must be very very hard getting such opposing advice, but remember all of us on here have actually been in your position - probably understand more than your family, or PT.
Although I am going through a tough phase at the moment (due more to my own frustration), I was so lucky that my physio constantly told me that until my knee settled from surgery trauma, there is only so much we can do. I did very little exercises initially, and no one ever 'hurt' me. I'm in Aus, so the surgeons and physio's here (well where I live anyway), don't do anywhere near the numbers of TKR's as other places, but are very well respected in their profession, and they choice of help for many many professional athletes. I'm 3 months out now of a bilateral knee replacement, and starting to get my life back to normal. If what you were told earlier were true about not moving your knee - I would still not be walking!!! In fact the more i do now still, the stiffer I feel and the less I can do for days after. Less is better, it just is! Josephine is right in her advice, and many very experienced and knowledgeable surgeons and PT's agree. This approach seems to get you back on track quicker.
I don't understand how it even seems sensible to people to overwork an inflamed area. My physio explained to me that there is tissue around my joint that should be as thin as glad wrap - but at the moment is as thick as my woollen jumper. This needs to reduce of its own accord over time and healing - overdoing exercise will only increase the time it takes for this to happen.
Best of luck, and I really hope you manage to find a happy medium between the advice here, and what you feel you must do. Ice is such a fantastic pain reliever, to not use it almost seems criminal!!! You can't get addicted to it, and you can increase the dose as much as you like!!!

Good luck, and try to stay with us here. We're in it together, and you will get support when you need it. This is SOOO important.

A locum is a doctor who stands in for another who is off sick, on leave or otherwise absent. Or he might be taken on to fill a vacancy they can't fill which I believe often happens in Wales and the West country. It's my epxerinece that locums have a 'couldn't care less' attitude to some things. Perhaps he's different! :skep:

As for being your guru - not sure I fit the stereotype! :loll:

guru-horz.jpg

Hi I am a Yorkshire man now living in West Sussex 10 months down the line from tkr on right knee, any questions you have get in touch, your meds need altering, mal west Sussex, at your stage 2 am was pain o clock all the best..

Hi Jimmy,
@billywhizz666

Hope that your eye appointment provides the info you need about your detached retina and a good treatment plan.

Take care,
Cathie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker