MUA billywhizz666 - the saga continues

I cried by myself..first time in years felt like a right wuss.

Billy, I know men aren't supposed to cry (especially men from Swansea:heehee:), but I doubt there is one of us here who did not cry in the early days. Its a combination of drugs, sleeplessness, pain and worry.

How are you managing to get about - walking stick, frame, crutches? Have you got any physiotherapy sessions lined up? Carol

Once again overwhelmed wit the amount of help and advice.....to celle 're paragraphs the honest truth is this is my kindle not my laptop so unless you tell me how to do paragraph s then I don't know how to....wot an awful world it is,,,but hey I'm good to my kids........still in a lot of pain which somehow escalates near bedtime as I anticipate not sleeping well
Managed a sort of paragraph but cannot recall how!!!! Annoying as I do want go be grammatically correct!! Got to go meds calling....love this site now it's more interesting than my Terry Pritchard book...Carol gettin about???? You mean my 2trips upstairs for a wee?? On crutches with her who must be obeyed directing all the action

@billywhizz666 Despite your pain you sound like you have a great attitude. I think what you need is patience, don't expect this to go away anytime soon. Take one day at a time and follow the doctors direction. You are so early in your recovery just rest and relax. Try to drink plenty of water too. I forget to do that and the last time (other knee) I ended up with a urinary tract infection. I think I was trying to limit the water to limit the trips to the bathroom.

All the best to you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there --you've gotten lots of good advice. Having been through it twice myself I can tell you it will get better. :console2:

In general health terms, Jo, I'm quite shocked and upset with myself as I'm not doing that good.
Billy, you're still an invalid. Only 10 days out from a very major operation so you should expect to not being doing so good. You have a lot of recovering to do. 12 weeks worth!
Only been elevating 20 mins at time with ice on. Will now change to hour on hour off. During the hour off should I still elevate?? This confuses me a wee bit as it means my leg didn't go to flat position all day.
During the hour off is when you get about the house a bit. Maybe 5 mins here and there. Don't sit all the time. And let your foot down on the floor. It will do it good to have a change of position.
My wife has just informed me that cyclizine is just to stop me itching from the morphine. So basically I'm on co-codamol, ibuprofen and liquid morphine for my pain.
If you are itching from the morphine, I suggest you ask your GP very sweetly if s/he will change you onto Tramadol instead. It's a much more effective medication than morphine anyway.
Also what if I want to tell you something in private. How do I do that?
You can use the Private Messages. Look at the top of the page beside your name - you'll see it says "inbox". That's a bit like your email system. But really, we talk about everything on here, so don't be shy!

As for finding your thread here, I need to talk with you about that. So I will send you a private message. Watch for the little red number "1" at the top of the page.

@billywhizz666 I can so understand your emotional state. In my first two - three weeks, I don't think there was a day that I didn't either cry or want to!! I felt pitiful and tired and overwhelmed. It gets better, each day just a bit. My biggest worry for you is your pain. I've managed mine (lucky, I think) but did have a couple melt downs when I get off my schedule. Once you get on the right dose and STICK TO IT day and night, the emotions will also calm. I took dilaudid (hydromorphone) and it was perfect for me. But I had to take it every four hours the first three -four weeks. Every four hours - I set my alarm so to get up at night and take my meds. Truth be told, I was awake about every three hours or so those flirts few weeks. Slept a lot during the day - naps are the best thing!!

And don't get out from under the ice except for the bathroom!! Once I figured out that I could ice continuously, all day long, I really started to feel even better. At night it is harder, but I'd wrap ice around my knee when I went to bed, and then replace it when I woke up later. . . And I always woke up. Didn't sleep through the night until about the fourth week.

Keep on after it - the folks here at the forum are a Golden!!

Well people I'm very sorry but I have to leave the group. Please don't judge me too easily. Here's what's happened .... my pt has been today and I thought I was prepared and ready to show her my posts and more importantly your posts. The actual visit was horrendous. She squeezed my kneecap and moved it from side to side. I told her it was hot and she felt it and agreed it was burning but did nothing about it.....

She made me do exercises I did not want to do but my daughter aged 20 was present and my wife so I was forced to man up, so to speak. I am not joking it was murder bending my knee back and making me bite a pillow, forcing my knee. It really hurt. I was almost crying ..

She was very unhappy at me for being on this site and read some posts I'd saved. And laughed out loud calling you nutters and freaks. I know what you're all saying now, well tell her to vanish and carry on. But you see some of what she said so made sense...i.e. if you don't move it, my knee, it will seize up. My wife and daughter totally agreed with her but my friends, the killer was she threatened to tell all this to Mr Shabilidis, my surgeon and told me he would go mad with me for abusing a £5,500 operation which I had on the NHS...

I reluctantly agreed to do my exercises. 4 sets of ten reps immediately. Perhaps that's why at almost one in the morning I'm tapping away at this sorry explanation and not sleeping. To you all especially Cathie and Jo, I thank you from the bottom of my cowardly Liverpool behind. Good night. God bless

@billywizz666,
Come back and let us know how you are getting on.
Please remember to take care of yourself first.

Hi @billywhizz666 ... I am so, so sorry you were treated like that by someone that is supposed to be helping you rehab your knee. I am afraid that it is not this group that you should leave, but the PT person. What she did to you almost borders on assault. I hope you see this because I am going to tag in @Orthodoc and @Josephine if the they are around, as they have the experience and hopefully they can explain things so that your wife and daughter will believe. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I have questioned some of the things said on the forum, but mostly I have been proven incorrect. Surely there are way too many success stories on here from following the Bonesmart methods for you to disbelieve them.
I am really so angry right now. Ask your PT how many knee replacements she has had and what the best way she found was to rehab them. Your knee doesn't need strengthening YET - it needs gentle massage, gentle exercises to the point of discomfort NEVER PAIN and certainly should never be bad enough to have you chowing down on a pillow. And it needs elevation and icing. Arrggghhhhhhhhh ... I really hadn't realised I felt so strongly about the Bonesmart method. I think it is the picture in my head of this big manly man ripping at a pillow because he couldn't bring himself to scream or cry and tell the PT to STOP.
Please don't leave the site - you really need it and your daughter and wife need it too. Have they seen a video of a knee replacement? There is one on the site. It may help them to understand the trauma your knee has been through.
Whatever you do, and I hope you decide to stay with us, I wish you all the best. Aussie Hugs ... Ellen

@billywhizz666 I hope you still lurk around the forum - and that you can get your wife and daughter to trust some of the folks here. I am also mad enough to chew nails that a healthcare professional would treat a patient like that. Yes, you need to move but gently and NEVER with pain. And you have to be able to tell them No, stop - and you have to say it!

As long as it hurts and is swollen, what is the point of making it worse? Have your wife and daughter think it like this: imagine you had a broken leg - they wouldn't tell you to get tough and walk, run, and jump on it? A therapist wouldn't take your broken leg and bend it and twist it?

I had to let my partner read some of the articles before she understood better what I was going through and how best to heal and get better. And the video of a surgery? Heck, I can't even watch the whole thing!!

Even if you don't post anymore, keep reading - we all care about your recovery and want you to heal well! We do care!

Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014

I bought 8 pkgs of frozen peas to use 4 at a time around the knee held in place with a wide elastic bandage,wrap.
I bought two long body pillows or if you can't find get King sized ones. I slept with , still do at 4 months on opposite side with pillow between knees and one under arm hugging it and one behind back to keep from tilting over.

Sleep? I am back to my job and only get 3-5 hrs if lucky at 4 months. We are all different.

tramadol and Percocet were given to me at discharge And at 3 weeks I realized I was having Hallucinations and stopped cold turkey with Tylenol. Went into severe drug withdrawals for 6 days +

We literally all do, or have felt your pain. My family, boss...nobody understands. So only others who have lived it do.

All the best and keep posting. See you in the can't sleep social room at nite when you are up in pain.

Big Hug if it helps. Tell your wife it may be her some day......better be good to you lol.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Dear @billywhizz666

I'm really sorry you feel you have to leave BoneSmart because of what a bullying, threatening and ill-informed physiotherapist said. She's censoring your internet activity now, as well as demanding that you allow her to hurt you?

It's your choice of course, but do remember that it is also your knee and your life. And it's probably also your money that has paid for your operation (whether it was done privately or you paid for it in tax).

Remember also that these people work for you, not the other way round. They can give advice, but you can choose whether or not to follow it.

Best wishes anyway. I hope that your knee recovers OK, but you are going to have a more painful recovery than you need to.

Do come back and let us know how you are getting on.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Billy, I stand by what I said back in post 3 - 'I'd rather go through childbirth three times in a row'. Your PT, wife and daughter have no idea what you are going through and by effectively taking away one of the best forms of support you can get (this forum) are doing you no favours at all. I followed the BS way and have made an excellent recovery from my TKR in January. I had group PT sessions in a London hospital and private sessions with a PT as I wanted some 1:1 but they all agreed with the BS way. I wish you all the best for a good, pain free and speedy recovery.

:good-bad:Hi @billywhizz666 sorry you are struggling with pain so much, its dreadful just never gives you a respite particularly in the first few weeks and everything is so scary regarding your new knee, even going for a wee is a mammoth task and lets just hope you don't have to deal with constipation!!!!
anyhow it does slowly get better but please read the word slowly as that is what takes getting use too. enjoy small successes and acknowledge the bad days but remember tomorrow is a new day, I am 5 weeks in and have had lots of recovery issues but I do see a little light at the end of this TKR tunnel
good luck with your recovery

@billywhizz666
Hello Jimmy,

It must have been very hard for you yesterday at your at home PT session.

And even harder to send your post to the forum last night, you must have had many hours of thinking between the PT session and when you sent the post @ 12:44 am- part of a long and sleepless night.

I am not going to give you any advice, as you have to do what you feel is right for you.

Your wife and daughter saw how much effort that you put into your PT session yesterday and they know how painful the recovery has been,

The BoneSmart site will always be available for you to dip in and out of, if you feel you need to.

Please do know that those of us who have gotten to know you on this site will keep warm and positive thoughts going out to you.

It is a long and painful recovery and for each of us it affects us differently.

Wishing you only warm thoughts for your recovery.
Cathie

Dear @billywhizz666

I do feel for you, being torn both ways by different opinions and in pain all the time!

I know that sometimes it's hard to speak up against firm opposition, and that it is often difficult to argue with the medical "experts".

It's not necessary for your knee to be hurt for it to recover. It won't set like concrete if you don't do lots of exercise and forcing.

You won't convince your physiotherapist (or your wife and daughter) that she is wrong by arguing with her.

If you want a less painful recovery, just summon up your courage and tell her "I will not allow you to hurt me. I believe it is not necessary. Do not do it again."

If you can't do that, we will still be here for you.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I know how you feel Billy. I was about 5 weeks out when I stumbled across bonesmart one sleepless night when I was at my lowest . I thought I'd never walk again. It was so comforting to find people who knew exactly how I was feeling. My son, however, thought I was mad, listening to people who may not be what/who they said they were on an online site. I did keep coming back and received lots if help and information from friendly people who had been through it themselves. You will be feeling very low at the moment, tired, weepy, in pain with no light at the end of the tunnel. You will get there, be kinder to yourself. I wish you a good recovery

My dear chap - I could cry for you, I really could. You went into this with such a positive attitude and got knocked down most cruelly. I should like to come face to face with that physio and give her what for!
But you see some of what she said so made sense...i.e. if you don't move it, my knee, it will seize up.
Well you'd not be 'not moving' the knee. That's daft! You'd be walking and doing some exercises but other that that, she got it all completely wrong. What we're saying is you shouldn't hurt doing these exercises. To the point of discomfort is fine but never into pain.

And my dear friend, the only thing you have to do is tell her she cannot hurt you. That's your right in law. Just as you can't go up to a person in a pub and punch him in the face, she cannot and should not cause you pain. That's assault and provided you tell her a big loud NO, if she persists, you could report her to the hospital.
the killer was she threatened to tell all this to Mr Shabilidis my surgeon and told me he would go mad with me for abusing a £5,500 operation which I had on the NHS.
So what? I am quite sure Mr Shabilidis would be far more likely to go mad at her for causing you such pain because it's not in your best interests. Besides which, at the end of the day, it's still YOUR knee and YOUR choice. Please don't let her get away with this. You can't even treat a dog like that - it's illegal!

@billywhizz666 I was reading your posts and most disappointed you've decided to leave the forum. I do hope you continue to check in now and then so we can know how you're doing. I, too, felt conflicted about how to handle recovery. While gentle exercise is good, it just makes sense that doing too much will cause more inflammation and pain.
I am surprised that your PT is such a bully. Usually in the UK there is a better understanding of how to treat people. I think you got a very bad one and should switch to one who will actually help you.
You have already learned some good things from Bonesmart. Please use them to your advantage. Also, I think your pain meds need review. There are other alternatives to tramadol since you have problems with it.
I just wanted to send prayers to you and let you know someone is always here for you. God Bless, Christie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back