Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR what supplies do I need?

Forgot to add one thing ........... fresh batteries in the remote as you will be using it a lot in the first few weeks :)

Forgot to add one thing ........... fresh batteries in the remote as you will be using it a lot in the first few weeks :)
Thank you!! I appreciate it and will add to the list! :)

know attitude is half the battle, so I will remain positive
It is important to try to remain positive, but even so, many of us do struggle at times, so if that happens, try not to worry.

Here are Bonesmart’s recovery guidelines for you to look over this week. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi KC Kitty,
The thought of surgery and recovery does cause anxiety for the majority of us, so we understand. After surgery most wonder why they put surgery off for so long. I tried to focus on how much fuller my life would be after early recovery each time the anxiety ramped up. You're extremely brave to me to agree to bilateral surgery. You're young, but not too young for joint replacement these days, but I feel that is in your favor.
I'm betting you'll do great and we'll be here to support and encourage you when you need it.

After joint replacement, many purchase a new comfortable, but supportive pair of shoes to avoid the wear pattern in your most worn old shoes. So you many want to consider that if you haven't already.

Extra bed pillows were key for me. Not only were they useful for propping limbs, but I took comfort in surrounding myself with them. An inexpensive body pillow from Target quickly became one of my faves.

I am sure you've pretty much checked off all you think you'll need from the Recovery Aids list. So a couple more items not on the list - Lip Balm, I had really chapped lips after surgery, especially post op. A decent sized water bottle is also nice so you don't constantly need a refill. Hydration is very important post op for many reasons, one being it assists your body in getting rid of the toxins of anesthesia. A long shoe horn will come in handy at some point also. Lastly, meal prep. Having easy to prep or even frozen meals on hand initially as well as healthy grab and go snacks will make your early recovery easier. One last thing that I found beneficial was a large garbage bag on the car seat for the drive home from my surgery site. I was able to slowly swivel (windshield facing) with ease.

I did mention the following earlier in this thread, but it may ease any pre-op jitters to keep this in mind -
Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

Wishing you all the best along with lots of comfort and peace of mind as you await the 9th. :)
@KC Kitty

I know attitude is half the battle, so I will remain positive

I didn’t have a bilateral but I knew mentally it was going to be really hard on me with 3 surgeries in 2 years. I was really afraid of the post op blues. So one thing that helped sooo much was I bought a wall calendar (a pretty one, with rainbows!) and before the surgery, I scheduled visits with friends at my house, the first one a few days after surgery and then one visit a week for the first month or two. I wrote them on the calendar so I could see it from my bed. When I was feeling down, I could look over at my calendar and think, “tomorrow I’ll see Nancy!” It really helped me to see people and get out of my own head, and the visual reminder gave me something to look forward to. You are right that the mental part can be a big part of the challenge. I wish you the best of luck and happy healing!

Last edited:
Hi KC Kitty,
The thought of surgery and recovery does cause anxiety for the majority of us, so we understand. After surgery most wonder why they put surgery off for so long. I tried to focus on how much fuller my life would be after early recovery each time the anxiety ramped up. You're extremely brave to me to agree to bilateral surgery. You're young, but not too young for joint replacement these days, but I feel that is in your favor.
I'm betting you'll do great and we'll be here to support and encourage you when you need it.

After joint replacement, many purchase a new comfortable, but supportive pair of shoes to avoid the wear pattern in your most worn old shoes. So you many want to consider that if you haven't already.

Extra bed pillows were key for me. Not only were they useful for propping limbs, but I took comfort in surrounding myself with them. An inexpensive body pillow from Target quickly became one of my faves.

I am sure you've pretty much checked off all you think you'll need from the Recovery Aids list. So a couple more items not on the list - Lip Balm, I had really chapped lips after surgery, especially post op. A decent sized water bottle is also nice so you don't constantly need a refill. Hydration is very important post op for many reasons, one being it assists your body in getting rid of the toxins of anesthesia. A long shoe horn will come in handy at some point also. Lastly, meal prep. Having easy to prep or even frozen meals on hand initially as well as healthy grab and go snacks will make your early recovery easier. One last thing that I found beneficial was a large garbage bag on the car seat for the drive home from my surgery site. I was able to slowly swivel (windshield facing) with ease.

I did mention the following earlier in this thread, but it may ease any pre-op jitters to keep this in mind -
Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

Wishing you all the best along with lots of comfort and peace of mind as you await the 9th. :)
@KC Kitty
Layla, you are the best! I really needed to hear your words this morning. I so appreciate all the support and guidance you have given me. I need to keep my eye on the prize. I am sure it will all be fine but I have a much better idea of what to expect and how to manage my expectations. Thank you for everything!!

I know attitude is half the battle, so I will remain positive

I didn’t have a bilateral but I knew mentally it was going to be really hard on me with 3 surgeries in 2 years. I was really afraid of the post op blues. So one thing that helped sooo much was I bought a wall calendar (a pretty one, with rainbows!) and before the surgery, I scheduled visits with friends at my house, the first one a few days after surgery and then one visit a week for the first month or two. I wrote them on the calendar so I could see it from my bed. When I was feeling down, I could look over at my calendar and think, “tomorrow I’ll see Nancy!” It really helped me to see people and get out of my own head, and the visual reminder gave me something to look forward to. You are right that the mental part can be a big part of the challenge. I wish you the best of luck and happy healing!
Thank you for the suggestion! A calendar is a GREAT idea! We recently moved to a new city so I will just have to schedule "Phone Visits" with my friends from KC! :)

Only just caught this thread; I had BTKR just over 10 years ago, very successful. See my BILATERAL TKR Recovery Diary

Living on one level is good, if you can.

A supportive partner is a gift from God. You will feel pretty compromised for a couple of weeks.

I am 100% for BTKR. 1 surgery, 1 recovery, recoveries of both knees in parallel, not in series.

Only just caught this thread; I had BTKR just over 10 years ago, very successful. See my BILATERAL TKR Recovery Diary

Living on one level is good, if you can.

A supportive partner is a gift from God. You will feel pretty compromised for a couple of weeks.

I am 100% for BTKR. 1 surgery, 1 recovery, recoveries of both knees in parallel, not in series.
Hi Roy, THANK YOU! It is so nice to hear from you. I so appreciate the reassurance. I have a wonderful husband who I know will support me thru this. I will owe him big time!!! :) I really do appreciate the encouraging words!

Wow, KC Kitty, that clock is ticking down! I am in awe of anyone who does bi-lateral (also, I'm more than 20 years older than you and live alone - maybe that's partly why it seems SO daunting!) But just wanted to wish you well…and hope you'll keep us posted on 'All Things Recover.' Cheers!

Wow, KC Kitty, that clock is ticking down! I am in awe of anyone who does bi-lateral (also, I'm more than 20 years older than you and live alone - maybe that's partly why it seems SO daunting!) But just wanted to wish you well…and hope you'll keep us posted on 'All Things Recover.' Cheers!
Thank you Arjay! Having never been through it, I am sure I don't know what I am in for and it seems daunting to me, but trusting my surgeon. Thank you for the warm wishes. I so appreciate it and I promise to keep you posted!! I hope you have a wonderful 2023!! :)

Best Wishes for tomorrow! Will look forward to following your healing journey on the flip side.
Hope to see you soon! :)
@KC Kitty

Hi Beach and Lyla- Great news! Surgery went well on Monday. Tonight is my first night at home. Sometimes I am having issues getting comfortable but all and all things are going okay! I am scooting around with the walker, using the ice machine and the lounger. I had an hour long car ride home and I didn't have much pain at all. Sleep is another thing but thru this forum I know what to expect and I will just go with it.
All the nurses, PT at the hospital and the surgeon said that I was "rocking it." I pray that continues but I am taking it one day at a time. THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

@KC Kitty
That's great news! Glad you are home and getting along ok.
I had my right tkr yesterday and came home same day. So far, so good here.
When you're up to it, please start a recovery thread in the post op forum so we can keep up with your recovery.
Congrats!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom