Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR what supplies do I need?

KC Kitty

Country
United States United States
Hi there,

I am brand new to this forum and I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before. I just had an appt with the OS and he said my kneecaps were trashed and I need a bilateral TKR. I haven't scheduled the surgery yet because I am so scared. I am an active 57 year old and have had trouble with my knees my entire adult life.

I noticed some have referenced ice machines and some sort of elevation. Do you know where I could find more info on that? I so appreciate finding this site and thank you in advance for any information. :)

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I‘m sorry you’re in need of joint replacement. Scheduling surgery can be an anxious time, I remember it well. I scheduled mine, with the escape clause in mind that I could cancel if I changed my mind. I knew I wouldn’t, only to go through the same anxiety at a later date and was also exhausted from the discomfort and inconvenience of a deteriorating joint. You’re as young as you’ll ever be and it will make such a positive difference in your life.
Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

I will leave some pre-op reading and if you have any questions, we’re here to advise when we’re able and offer support when you need it.
Wishing you all the best!

KNEE
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi @KC Kitty! You said bilateral; in the world of joint replacements, that means getting both done at the same time. Is this what you’re planning on doing?

I have the Aircast Cryo Cuff motorized. I like the compression. I also,have a Lounge Doctor that I use to elevate.

Ask your questions and we will be happy to answer!

Marie

1670373853629.png

@KC Kitty, you have been added to the January surgery list! You are now officially a January Jackpot.

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
Thank you so much! January 9 is the date for Bilateral TKR. My pre-op is Dec. 19. I am starting to get super nervous and question whether my knees are really that bad!! (Maybe I am just trying to weasel out of it!) This forum is such a wealth of information and I so appreciate everyone's support and stories. THANK YOU!

We all get very nervous, the closer we get to our surgery date. I was so scared I wanted to cancel, but couldn’t face my friends and tell them I chickened out, so I went through with it! :heehee:

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

@KC Kitty
You can search the recovery threads for members who have had successful bilateral replacements. I remember @SusieShoes and @twoatatime or @2atatime from 4ish yrs ago.
An admin will be more helpful in helping you with those links. I think one of the admins is a "bilateral warrior", also.
There are great threads by members who have had TKR done 1 at a time, but within 30 days or so.

The best thing you've done is join Bonesmart.

As far as recovery aids..these were invaluable to me....
.The lounge doctor was and is my bff. You can get a wider one to accommodate both legs.
.Ice water machine was other bff. You can get a connector that lets you ice both knees at the same time.
.Toilet seat riser with arms. Even if your toilet is newer and higher (17"?) a riser makes it so much easier.

Keep posting and asking questions.

@KC Kitty Of course you are nervous. No one likes to face surgery. But you are certainly doing this the right way. One surgery, one recovery.

Have a read in the knee recovery area. You will find lots of tips and information from our members. You will also be added to the January surgery group. It's nice to connect with others going through the same journey.

My colleague @Roy Gardiner had BTKR. He is an avid cyclist!

@KC Kitty
You can search the recovery threads for members who have had successful bilateral replacements. I remember @SusieShoes and @twoatatime or @2atatime from 4ish yrs ago.
An admin will be more helpful in helping you with those links. I think one of the admins is a "bilateral warrior", also.
There are great threads by members who have had TKR done 1 at a time, but within 30 days or so.

The best thing you've done is join Bonesmart.

As far as recovery aids..these were invaluable to me....
.The lounge doctor was and is my bff. You can get a wider one to accommodate both legs.
.Ice water machine was other bff. You can get a connector that lets you ice both knees at the same time.
.Toilet seat riser with arms. Even if your toilet is newer and higher (17"?) a riser makes it so much easier.

Keep posting and asking questions.
Thank you for the encouragement. I will definitely order the wider lounge doctor and the riser for the toilet. I so appreciate this site and to you for responding. Trying to keep a positive attitude!

You're very welcome! Everyone here helps each other.

Hi there,

I am brand new to this forum and I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before. I just had an appt with the OS and he said my kneecaps were trashed and I need a bilateral TKR. I haven't scheduled the surgery yet because I am so scared. I am an active 57 year old and have had trouble with my knees my entire adult life.

I noticed some have referenced ice machines and some sort of elevation. Do you know where I could find more info on that? I so appreciate finding this site and thank you in advance for any information. :)
Hi Kitty,
I had bi-lateral tkr end of January this year and I’d like to reassure you - there is a rainbow at the end. So first, understandable it’s scary but best thing I ever did getting both done together. I’d be a liar if I said it was easy BUT it was what I expected. What’s important now, is that you prepare yourself by getting as fit and healthy as possible. I’m 66yrs and cycled, swam, yoga and took good vitamins right up to my day of surgery. So I went in at my best physical self. The surgery itself took 6.5 hours but one knee was particularly difficult. Recovery three days in intensive care (which I don’t remember too much of) one week in the wards and 1 week in rehab. I choose this as I wanted to be walking reasonable well by the time I went home. The most important thing post surgery is to take the medication at the correct time to stay on top of the pain. I mucked up a couple of times and paid for it until the meds worked so I can’t stress enough- the importance of being on top of this. Ice machines!!! Cryo- cuff was ok but messy where I brought (in Australia) RES3, not cheap but worth the money. Two gel ice packs and one wrap. Fantastic product, easy to use, not mucking about. Ice is imperative on both of your knees post op. I iced constantly and also through the night initially until things settled down. To date I am 10 months post op, can walk for ever and I’m amazed each day to have no pain anymore. I know it’s a difficult decision but you will not regret it. Happy to be asked any questions you need. All the best for January!!! It’s a great month for knees.

Hi Atlas, Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. Your encouragement means more than you know! I love the advice and I will make sure I follow it! I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. I too am active and want to stay that way! Thank you again and have a wonderful holiday season!!

My pleasure. Keep yourself mentally and physically focused ah!!! All the very best for your surgery ahead.

Hi KC Kitty
I had bilateral TKR on Mar 16, 2020 & it changed my life! My very favorite item for recovery was my 2 ice machines - 1 for each knee. That worked the best for pain relief & swelling& i think it made a huge difference for me. I also loved my recliner & my raised toilet seat. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

@KC Kitty Exactly what pamsknees said except I only had one ice machine but 2 (not required) but would have been nice.

I rented a power recliner for a month so I could stay in the living room throughout the day.

Raised toilet seat and toilet handles so you can brace yourself for sitting and push yourself upright. This is a must as you will not have a good leg to do all the work.

@KC Kitty Exactly what pamsknees said except I only had one ice machine but 2 (not required) but would have been nice.

I rented a power recliner for a month so I could stay in the living room throughout the day.

Raised toilet seat and toilet handles so you can brace yourself for sitting and push yourself upright. This is a must as you will not have a good leg to do all the work.
Thank you so much for reaching out. I have all of those things and we just bought some new furniture that fully recline. I am getting very nervous as the surgery is a week from tomorrow. I know attitude is half the battle, so I will remain positive but this site has been so informative and I now have a better understanding of what to expect. THANK YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom