BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Bilateral TKR Specific Information

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Atlas_aus, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:23 PM.

1. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    Hi all,

I have done a lot of reading on here and other areas of the web but there does not seem to be a lot of specific information for bilateral TKR.

Clearly there is some advantage to having one good leg whilst the other is recovering, but what if you don't ? I read things like "using your good leg".....

What I would really like to know from those that have had a bilateral TKR is how it went, what was needed and what 'hurdles' you faced and how you overcame them.

One of my biggest 'worries' is sleep. I have always slept on my side, usually starting on my left and finishing up on my right, have never been able t sleep on my back unless very intoxicated ! And with 2 bung knees I am not thinking that is an option ! :heehee:

Thanks in advance.

2. Cjackso21

Cjackso21 junior member

United States United States
    If both of my knees had been bad at the same time I would have done bilateral. Mainly all of the other issues, like pain management, taking off work, anesthesia, etc. These are all done at once. I hate to say it but sleeping will be an issue even with one knee, but it eventually gets better. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

As you can see, I have moved your threads into the pre op area. In pre op you are allowed multiple threads, while in post op, we ask our posters to maintain one recovery thread. Since your surgery is not until May, I have placed your posts into the pre op area.

If you go to the lists of threads and click on a label for "bilateral replacement" you will see the other folks who have had bilaterals, and you can then post to them for information.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well I would have thought it wouldn't take much common sense to interpret that as 'using your best leg' as an alternative?
    Everyone gets that problem. However, it's usual that the overall effects of post surgery and post anaesthetic would render the individual so 'schlumped' they wouldn't worry too much about it. I never did. Plus the sedative effects of the pain killers.

6. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    Thank you, very handy. I will figure this board out yet ! :heehee:

Having a BTKR I am not sure I will have a good leg, but here's hoping :loll:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I haven’t had a bilateral but from what I understand, most members who do, have one leg better than the other.

@maryo52 recently shared one reason why that is. She can tell you better, but she observed this surgery and the surgeon did more on the first leg, testing the implant, checking different things, so that this first knee was handled more, so had more to recover from. The surgeon didn’t have to do all that in the second knee.

I thought it was really interesting to know that.

8. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    OMG !! observed this surgery

My worst nightmare waking up during it ! It makes sense with what is said, all except the "watching" part :yikes::loll: