bilateral TKR recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwoodw1853

I am five weeks from surgery and still need pain pills. I am going to PT three times a week and in addition do a pool work out twice a week. I really thought that I would not need the pain pills but really can't do without them. My ROM is 115 and 110. Any thoughts. thanks

Welcome Woody. Here is the deal, if you need them, take them. Seriously, there is no reason to not take them; if fact, if you are in pain you cannot do as well with the recovery. Everyone recovers and the pain lessens at different rates, so there is no timetable for when you should be off the pain meds. Your Dr. will stop giving them to you whenever he thinks you have had enough.

Woody,
Tomorrow,I'll be nine weeks post TKR. I still take the pills. There are good days and bad days.. When I went in for my 8 wk. check up, and I asked for a refill, the Dr. said he would be surprised if I didn't need a refill. Just go with the flow. I had been able to cut the pills in half and take a half when I first wake up. With these darn weather fronts, I had to go for a whole pill these last two days.

same here at 9 weeks: my OS gave me one Rx and said the next visit he will give me another. He remarked if we were at 6 months he would be concerned about the "bad days" but we have a lot of "insulted tissue and tendons and muscles that take 4-6 months to stop hurting. A quality recovery is the issue and the only issue.

Hello Hello to you all. My name is Sheri and I'm really glad to have found this site. I have been reading a lot of the posts and they've made me feel a bit better. I had bi-lateral TKN on 1/2/08. I don't know where I got the idea that I would be "all better" at 3 months, but I did. I'm at, ahhhhh, well, I think 11 weeks (?) and have been feeling really down because of the continued pain, stiffness and swelling. I was hoping to be able to drive from Colorado to Wisconsin to spend some time with my mom in April and am now questioning whether thats a good idea or not. Some days I feel some energy and can move around without too much pain...... then the next day I'm hurting like the dickens. Today is a "dickens" day. Every bone in my body feels like I was beaten up ( my hubby swears he didn't do it :) ). Even my hands hurt. I'm coming up on 66 in May and have always been pretty active. We moved to Colorado a year ago to hike and spend time in the mountains. So far I'm in the passenger seat since the surgery. Am I expecting too much too soon? I know I'm not ready for active climbing, but does the pain continue for................... how long?????? I got off the Perc after 6 weeks since I'm a recovery alcoholic (over 30 years) but still don't like the idea of playing with narcotics. Have been trying to keep going with Darvocet and ibuprofen. Not doing real well, but........... I talked with a sports doctor yesterday and he said get off the ibuprofen and get some tylenol. So far haven't noticed any major difference. In this pop-pop-fizz-fizz world....... my patience is not always the best. Any ideas? Again, I'm so glad to have found you all. Thanks for any thoughts. Sheri

"insulted tissue and tendons and muscles that take 4-6 months to stop hurting".

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_thumbsup.jpg

Nice quote - have to remember that!!

I'll be 12 weeks post op tomorrow and been back at work for 2 weeks; can't say when all the pain will be gone yet but it does get better. I can't help you with much else. Sorry, God bless you.

I'm 10 weeks Post Op....still shakin'...um...i mean taking meds....not nearly as many, though.......been back at work for SIX(Gat...WHO's ya daddy???....tell me....tell me now!) weeks!!!! I AM the woMAN!!!!!

ohhhhhh....I kind of changed mine around and left you in the cold with the stoop thing....BUT, me likey!

Sheri -
I'm at 3 months and yes I thought the same thing. I'll be leaping buildings in a single bound by 3 months. Well like you it ain't happening. I share your pain. The swelling and stiffness is still there. The Dr. says expect it and it will probably be around for 12 months. Question for everyone regarding PT. I was only given 5 weeks of PT, but I continue to do the exercise twice a day. But I find that new muscles are beginning to hurt also they do not take up much of my time. I mean within 10 minutes I'm done. Am I not doing enough? My PT never mentioned a bike or anything and I'm worried I might have been short changed.

I had a bilateral done on November 8th---I was still taking pain pills PRN) inot part of January...Take 'em before PT and if you are having a bad day with pain. Things will get better, I promise. Remember, your knees did not get this bad overnight, and it will take work---lots of it---to get your knees---and your life---back to where you want it. I saw my Ortho today and we were talking about how quickly the quad muscles weaken, and how LONG it takes to strengthen them.

I can tell you I have three more PT sessions---I had one last night and the legs were sort of "On strike" this AM. They feel much better now, though. Ride your bike and ride the wave---the wave of life. DO not worry about tomorrw, it will take care of itself. Work on gettin' through today.

Tim C.

Lee, for me the bike is one of the most exercises we can do. Look at riding it from more than one dimension though. Start the seat High and every 5 mins. lower it one level. Warm up for 5 or 10 mins and do intervals. I change it around. I may crank down on resistance and pedal hard for 3mins then lighten it up and cool down for 1. My Dr. stresses the bike.
I'm at 9 weeks post op.
Still take pills. Have great days, good days, and bad days. Today is bad. My whole body hurts. I've managed to strain my good knee. So I sit here and watch stupid t.v. programs, check this site 20 times and pretty much growl at people......Only when she can't hear me though.

dw,
stoop comes from the John Boy and Billy radio show. One hilarious redneck and the other a techno geek. stoop is short for stupid.

Hello Sheri,

Welcome to this crazy group! We've all "been there- done that" which is what makes this such a unique forum. I totally admire the strength and determination of you BTKR folks. I can't even imagine doing both at once.

I am at 12 weeks with "only" a PKR and am still stiff and sore on some days. Some more than others.... I personally wouldn't be up for that long of a drive in April, but if you decide to do it--- be sure to stop frequently and get out and walk around and let those knees move around. Take a cooler with ice and try to elevate when you can! You aren't planning to be the
driver for this trip are you? That would be really rough! I just turned down front row tickets to a Seattle Mariner's baseball game in April because I just think it is too far of a drive(ride) and too cold outside at a baseball game for 3 hours. But that is me--- maybe you are tougher than I am!

We have talked about good days and bad-- we all still have them. Even the weather seems to affect our new knees.

We have all decided around here that our OSs weren't real up-front with us about what this KR recover was REALLY going to be like and how long it would take. Some have actually admitted if they were forthcoming about it we may have decided not to go through with it..... and few of THEM have actually gone through the process themselves so what do they know anyway?

One last thought--- on the switch from ibuprofen to tylenol. Ibu is a NSAID and helps with both pain and inflammation(but has its own downsides--- see Josephine's previous post on another thread). Tylenol will assist with pain only. Since you say you are having pain in other body parts (hands, etc.) inflammation may be an issue for you and the IBU would help more with that..... you should check with your doc on that.

Good luck and hang in there!

Hello Hello to you all. My name is Sheri and I'm really glad to have found this site. I have been reading a lot of the posts and they've made me feel a bit better. I had bi-lateral TKN on 1/2/08. I don't know where I got the idea that I would be "all better" at 3 months, but I did. I'm at, ahhhhh, well, I think 11 weeks (?) and have been feeling really down because of the continued pain, stiffness and swelling. I was hoping to be able to drive from Colorado to Wisconsin to spend some time with my mom in April and am now questioning whether thats a good idea or not. Some days I feel some energy and can move around without too much pain...... then the next day I'm hurting like the dickens. Today is a "dickens" day. Every bone in my body feels like I was beaten up ( my hubby swears he didn't do it :) ). Even my hands hurt. I'm coming up on 66 in May and have always been pretty active. We moved to Colorado a year ago to hike and spend time in the mountains. So far I'm in the passenger seat since the surgery. Am I expecting too much too soon? I know I'm not ready for active climbing, but does the pain continue for................... how long?????? I got off the Perc after 6 weeks since I'm a recovery alcoholic (over 30 years) but still don't like the idea of playing with narcotics. Have been trying to keep going with Darvocet and ibuprofen. Not doing real well, but........... I talked with a sports doctor yesterday and he said get off the ibuprofen and get some tylenol. So far haven't noticed any major difference. In this pop-pop-fizz-fizz world....... my patience is not always the best. Any ideas? Again, I'm so glad to have found you all. Thanks for any thoughts. Sheri

If you get a 120 degree ROM, Ref might eat some grits...Come on and go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks