Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR Preop

beachjunkie

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,
I am now having my bilateral knee replacement surgery on June 14, 2023 and not on May 30th as originally scheduled. I changed my date because upon further introspection/reading and research I have opted not to go with robotic surgery and go with traditional. I don’t want the femur/tibia pins/incisions on my legs, as it may reduce my risk of infection and fracture. Also robotic surgery takes more time, which would require me to be under anesthesia longer and I am having both knees done at the same time and will be under anesthesia for a long time already. It seems that those that get robotic surgery have a better outcome and shorter recovery, but I believe if you have a good surgeon and do everything you are supposed to post op, the long term outcome is the same. It’s not an easy decision either way, as both robotic/traditional have their pros and cons, I just hope I am making the right one.

@beachjunkie, I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread. That thread is reserved for surgery date information. Having this monthly team thread allows members to see who else has surgery in the same month as they did. All other comments and discussions should take place in a pre-op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with and learning from others who are on the same journey as you are, here in this thread.

If you would like another title for your thread, just let us know. We'll be glad to change it for you.

Oh, I did not know. In reference to the title, maybe change to ‘Bilateral TKR Preop' to the title, thank you @sistersinhim:)

Last edited:
Hi, @beachjunkie, and :welome:

I think you will find these articles helpful:

If you need additional help, let us know.

@benne68 thank you. . . after the surgery do I create a new thread on the knee recovery forum with a new title or does this one get moved and retitled?

Last edited:
Yes, you should create a new thread in the Knee Recovery Forum when you feel up to post-op. After that, keep all your posts in that single thread so you -- and we -- have a record of your recovery. If you have difficult getting it started, just let us know and one of the admins will help you.
Not long to wait! :flwrysmile:

Preop today, 10am, May 30, 2023
BP 136/84
Weight 143.3
EKG, all good except 59 BPM, Doc said bpm not a problem within one point of normal
Blood Work - BMP & CBC, all within normal range
Cleared for Surgery June 14, 2023, time tbd, day before surgery

@benne68 Yes indeedy, I can’t wait for it to be over. Not looking forward for the excrutiating recovery, but I am in good spirits and hopeful for a positive outcome. The nurse that assisted doctor in my preop clearance yesterday had a knee replacement just 6 months ago in the same hospital, hence reassured me they had one of the best orthopedic surgical teams and care post op.:) :-) (::fingersx:

Good luck! It sounds like you’re ready to go. Do you have an ice machine or two, ice packs, stool softener (Smooth Move tea moved me lol)? Can you either get your post op meds prior to surgery or pick them up at the hospital before discharge?

Marie

Thank you! @InkedMarie I have two ice packs and an aircast cryo cuff. I also have colace, going to look into smooth move tea now, just in case, lol. I had a followup appointment with surgeon today, I didn’t think to ask how will I receive meds, will email nurse.

Followup with Surgeon today (he only does knees):
- He will be doing both knees himself but someone else will be closing incision, no staples
- I am getting a cementless implant as I seem to have good bone density, but that could change intraoperatively
- Does not anticipate patella resurfacing, that could also change interoperatively
- Removing only ACL at this time, could also change intraoperatively
- He does not cut Quads
- Spinal anethesia with sedation and nerve block
- Surgery will last 2 hours
- I will get antibiotics and pain medication
- 1 night stay in hospital, PT to start next day

Great that you were able to get all of this info. Sounds like you are ready to go!

Good luck with your surgery this week. All the best and we are here to help you along through the recovery phase.

Definitely try and line up your meds prior to discharge. My pharmacy was not only backed up but out of stock on some of mine and I finally got all of them two days after I came home. Not much help when some of them were five day prescriptions. Best of luck on your surgery!

- 1 night stay in hospital, PT to start next day
Wow. My surgery was awhile ago now (2011) I wonder have things changed so much? I was more or less immobile for 24 hours, in hospital for 5 days, moving only slowly and carefully, with a walker, to and from the bathroom 6 feet away. They only let me go when I could, slowly and painfully, climb a short flight of stairs.

I had two nights in hospital last year.
I was fairly late on the afternoon list and would have struggled to be discharged after one night. I had to walk up and downstairs with crutches before I was discharged.

My bilateral is tomorrow, I am ready:yes:. I have read your journeys, the joys and the sorrows and I can’t even begin to thank each and everyone for sharing your experiences and help along the way.
:thankyou:
I will log in as soon as I am able to and share my journey on the other side, cheers!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom