Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR in January - I have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to sleep on my side for short periods, with a pillow between my knees, from about Day 3. The nurses would put me on my side, for a change of position. I only had one knee done, though, and I lay on my non-operated side.

It would be a good idea to ask your surgeon.
 
I'm a side sleeper. Sleeping in my recliner made sleeping on my back easier. I noticed when my body was more ready (as in my knee had healed enough), I grew more restless in the recliner. At that point, I decided to climb the stairs at night to try sleeping in my bedroom. I used a pillow between my knees and kept them slightly offset from one another. I was able to sleep for short periods like this. I normally turn from one side to the other all night. Your mileage may vary, but the timeframe for me on this was around three to four weeks.

I can't help you with the stomach sleeping position. That's one position I can't imagine trying to sleep in.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Kathi, Hi! I had staged 1 month TKRs in June and July so I'm 5½ and 6½ months out. I'm also 58 and had 8 years of running/playing basketball/fishing/dancing (I don't dance but it was my youngest son's wedding) walking. I can tell you that that I had the biggest trouble trying not to overdo and had a one-month setback due to a calf tendon strain/tear from overdoing it 2 weeks after TKR #2, that was more terrifying than either TKR for me.

I just swam my first mile and hiked partway up a small mountain today with lots of snow (Maine) and have skied (cross country) half a dozen times in the last two weeks and really feel like I'm finally at a tipping point where I'm really glad I did the TKRs. This takes time and I've worked darned hard at PT. To repeat another's comment, you will measure improvement in months, not days or even weeks if you're like me.

I ride a tall (I am short) adventure bike (650 Suzuki) and was riding well this fall by 4/5 months out. Awesome that I had zero knee pain and didn't need dumb highway pegs silly on an adventure bike) any more.

I didn't start sleeping side/front until 4 months, you'll have no problems because just being able to sleep big issue, not position.

I took oxy, two 5 mg per night for 6 weeks due to the staged nature and found constipation to be a large issue. Doubled up on stool softness/Metamucil/milk of magnesia, tough to find the sweet spot. Glad I had no drug dependency as some of my buddies had withdrawal issues.

Best of luck. I wish my doc did bilateral.....

Ted
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This takes time and I've worked darned hard at PT.
You don't have to work hard at PT. In fact, working too hard can slow down your recovery.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.
 
@tpellerin thank you. i want to be riding by May. it would break my heart if i could not enjoy my summer activities. i am hoping by having good range of motion now it will make life easier . working hard at PT? not the first month though? i understand it takes time for swelling to go down?


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had about a half dozen home PT visits for each knee, but I did no PT otherwise. Just went about my daily life. I am recovering just fine and without a lot of pain from doing PT. The PT I did have was pain free and gentle - except for one hospital PT who pushed on my knee to the point it made me cry in pain and set me back in the recovery of that knee. Don't let anyone do that to you.
 
working hard at PT? not the first month though? i understand it takes time for swelling to go down?
You're correct about the swelling. It can last longer for longer than a month, though.

Never work hard at PT for your recovery. It's counter-productive, because doing that inflames your wounded tissues, making them more inclined to swell. tpellerin is the exception here, not the norm. Most people who work their wounded knee too hard end up complaining of constant pain and a decreased ROM (Range of Motion).
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
 
Now I know where all the snow is. We have about a foot of icy crud. Will get out to hike anyway.. new trails beckon. 12 weeks out.
From the get go I slept anyway I wanted.. L side R side back.. tried stomach but when I do that I tend to draw my operated knee way up which I couldn't do initially.
I guess we are getting dumped on Thurs so break out the snowshoes.. for a test shoe.
 
ok one more question! say you get bladder or uti infections occasionally .. will that be a problem with the new knees? i heard someone say that infection can travel to your new joint from a bad tooth... is this true of any type of infection now? thanks in advance. just something i was curious about since menopause it seems i have had a few UTIs


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that depends on how bad it is. They say if you drink enough water and maintain good levels of vitamin C you should not get them or at the very least greatly reduce them. I have found the fastest way to nip them in bud, is to drink water with fresh lemon. The fresh lemon provides vitamin C and the water helps to flush out the Urinary Tract.
 
i heard someone say that infection can travel to your new joint from a bad tooth... is this true of any type of infection now? thanks in advance. just something i was curious about since menopause it seems i have had a few UTIs
You do need to be careful to have any infection treated - but that applies before your knee replacement, as well.
Get all your necessary dental work done before surgery.
 
@polarbear that's an interesting thing you said about as your body was more ready that you grew restless in the recliner. I'm a side sleeper also. Last night was my first night home and I was worried about being able to sleep in the recliner and was going back and forth about whether to try the bed or recliner. I elected the recliner and I slept from 11-5 and then fell back asleep from 6-7:15. I feel much less uneasy about sleeping now and think I will know when it's time to go back to the bed.
 
@Celle had my 6 months cleaning and check up this week. i am good in the dental area. no sign of UTI here but it does happen. will drink the lemon with water.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone got a clue at the weight lifting restrictions? curious. i regularly tote fetch carry everything for the household. need an idea on what i won't be able to life so i can finish laying in supplies. thanks in advance.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get someone to help you carry in groceries? I'm assuming that's what you meant by "everything for the household." If that's difficult, you'll need to stock up on necessities because you will probably not be carrying anything more than a cup of coffee or a plate of food for several weeks. You're going to be using a cane or walker possibly for up to 6 weeks or more.
 
@Jamie i fetch carry... 50lb dog food, tote cases of water, gallons of tea, food, cat litter, you name it... laundry, shopping, feeding dogs, scooping poop, i have a busy life because I work from home. hub is spoiled. plain simple. i simplified life a bit by getting a porta pot for downstairs, ( my bed is up as is my bathroom) but just curious how long will i have weight restrictions? i guess i can boohoo and have him do it, but used to doing and getting things done, oh and we burn wood, so probably won't be able to go in the basement and lift logs? ha you get the idea... just wondered how long must i watch how much weight I lift? I am sure there is some rules on this?


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-op, I stocked up a three month supply of dog food, cat food, cat litter, bird food, dry goods, Diet Coke and paper products. I think 3 months will be about right.

My OS only has two restrictions. No running, no jumping. He said when I felt safe doing it (lifting things, riding my horse, hot yoga etc) to go ahead with them. His only request was "listen to what your new knees are telling you, if it hurts STOP, just listen"

If you have railings on both sides you could probably stoke the fire but I would get the hubby programmed to do that. The porta pot is a good idea for the first weeks. I was very happy to have bilateral hand railings on all of my staircases.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My doc gave me no restrictions on lifting or anything else (other than no running or jumping). He basically told me if it hurt, don't do it.

A lot will really depend on how stable your knees feel and when you can walk unassisted. At 3 weeks, I was unable to pick up a 50lb bag of dog food to pour it into the storage bin because I still needed to use my walker. However, I was able to use a bowl to transfer most of it, then pick up the remaining bag at 15 lbs. Once I could walk unassisted, I could carry a laundry basket. Before that, I just balanced it on my walker or made several smaller trips by stuffing the laundry in the basket on my walker.
 
It'll be a while before you can comfortably carry/tote such heavy items unless they fit in a basket attached to your walker. Since your hubby is able, he's going to have to take up quite a few of your responsibilities for a few months. You may be able to stock up, but have you looked at the activity progression chart? I didn't know about BoneSmart during my recovery, but my recovery followed the chart pretty closely. Have your husband take a look at it so he realizes just how much you won't be able to do for a while.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
I fetch carry... 50lb dog food, tote cases of water, gallons of tea, food, cat litter, you name it... laundry, shopping, feeding dogs, scooping poop, i have a busy life because I work from home. hub is spoiled. plain simple.
Once you have recovered properly, I see no reason why you won't be able to carry all those things again. However, this recovery takes a long time.

As for your hubby - it's time for a wake-up call to both of you. You will need help for several weeks - lots of it - and he is the one who will need to give it to you. You've been spoiling him all these years and now it's time for him to return the favour. If you both try to carry on with you doing most of the work around the house, you could compromise your recovery.
You both need to read these articles:
Activity progression for TKRs
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom