BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Bilateral TKR due 2/7/19

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by walshr47, Jan 18, 2019.

1. walshr47

walshr47 new member

United States United States
    I'm getting a little nervous as the date gets closer. I'm a little concerned because I have a foot drop on my left leg which I've had for years and wear a brace.

Does anyone have a encouragement or suggestions?

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @walshr47 - and :welome:

The foot drop is something that should be discussed with your surgeon and the physical therapists will also need to be aware of it.
    It's possible that some time in a rehab unit might help, after your Bilateral TKRs.

Which leg has the foot drop, and is the brace a type that you could wear over a dressing on your knee?

Here is some information to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

3. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Renee, What is the cause of your foot drop? I was worried because of have peripheral neuropathy (no foot drop though). I did find that the surgery stirred it up a bit but not bad and everything actually has gone quite smoothly. Plus, I think this is the perfect time of year to have TKR because the days are getting longer, and before you know it, you'll see signs of Spring. I did feel VERY nervous leading up to surgery, and you know what I fixated on? That first drug that goes into the IV, versed/midazolam. I call it "happy juice." I turned and watched it go in, leaned back and felt the effect, went through the double doors into OR and the next thing I knew, I woke up in recovery with the surgical team chatting and showing me the X-rays of my new knee. Try to focus on positive images, whatever they are for you. And, yes, raise your questions about foot drop.

4. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope your surgery went well. We look forward to hearing how things are going.