TKR Bilateral TKR 25th May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faele

Country
Australia Australia
Just setting up my post-op thread. I'm on the countdown now with only four days to go to surgery! I've learned so much reading about everyone's recovery; it helps prepare those of us still on the pre-op side.

Faele, I'll go ahead and leave your post op guidelines so they'll always be on page 1 for your to look back on. :yes:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for the above information, KarriB. I've copied what I don't already have, and am adding it to my folder of information.

Hope all has gone well for you. Keep us posted Faele.

Hoping all went well and you're recovering now.

Hope it all went well. I'm nearly 12 months post Bilateral. You will get there. Be kind to yourself... xxx

Thank you for all your good wishes on my surgery and recovery! I haven't been on here for ages; first of all I was going to take the Ipad to hospital to keep in touch, but it decided to die at the last minute, and I cannot access it on my phone. Surgery went well and I spent five days in the Orthopaedic Ward, then was transferred to the Rehab Ward in the same hospital. I stayed there for about twelve days, going to physiotherapy and occupational therapy daily, except Sundays, when we got to rest!

The physio really helped, and they weren't too demanding. The physio might say to do ten of a particular exercise, but if I could do only five, she was happy that I'd tried. Sometimes I could do more with one leg than the other, depending on the exercise. The only exercise that I said no to, was when they strapped a 1 kilo weight onto each ankle, and I had to raise the leg! It really hurt both legs, and I stopped after three.

I started off using a Rollator, which is like a tall wheelie walker, then graduated to a normal wheelie walker or crutches, alternating between the two, to see which was more suitable. The physio favoured the crutches, and I was confident using them in the gym or around the ward, but quailed at the thought of using them once I came home and had to go out. So I hired a walker for a month, which I can extend if I need to. I don't need it around the house or yard, but used it for the only outing I've been on since returning home. I went to visit my G.P. so she could look after my medications. My daughter came with me and we caught a bus and did a bit of walking as well. I managed that all right.

My main problem now is fatigue. I get up and do a few things, then I'm ready for a nap again. I'm gradually reducing the stronger medication which hopefully should help. In hospital, I was attached to what they called "scuds", which massaged my lower legs, and I had an Ice Man around each knee. I would sleep, flat on my back, for a while, then become uncomfortable, so I started taking Serepax. Now I'm down to a quarter of a tablet before going to bed, but I'm still tired and foggy-brained. I think I won't take any tonight.

I haven't had to use any ice since I've been home. There is not much swelling now and the pain has dwindled to discomfort, especially if I sit on a chair for too long. Now I'm glad I had both knees done at once, as I'm not sure I would have gone back for a second go!

Now that I've found time and energy to come back on the forum, I'll have a look at other posts and see how the rest of you are getting on! All the best to all of you.

P.S. I forgot to mention another exciting thing about my surgery - my bowed legs have gone! They are now straight!

My main problem now is fatigue
Your body is taking all available resources to heal, embrace this and do a lot of nothing. Someone's got to watch that telly!

I haven't had to use any ice since I've been home
But you can anyway, if you like, it always helps swelling

my bowed legs have gone
Me too; I could stand with my heels tight together and get my fist (sideways!) between my knees. Dead straight now and 1cm taller. good innit?

I'm glad things are going well, @Faele .

That fatigue you're experiencing is part of the Energy drain for TKRs
Almost all your energy is being directed towards healing your knees. With just one knee replaced, people experience it, and with both knees done you have a double dose.
In a way, it's not a bad thing, because your knees still need you to spend much of your time resting.

If you re-read this article, Activity progression for TKRs , you'll see that you should still only be increasing your activity slowly.

Thank you @roy and @Celle for your comments. Roy, I didn't think of measuring the gap between my knees with my fists! What a good idea! I think mine would have been wider apart, maybe two fists. I did take a photo the day before surgery and now I'm surprised, and pleased, at the difference. I'm looking forward to being able to wear a skirt again once the weather gets warmer. It's winter here now.

I'm trying to ignore things like dust on furniture etc etc. It's hard when you're used to just doing it. On Monday I did two loads of washing and paid for it that afternoon, and Tuesday! I know my daughter would do it if I asked, but she is nursing a sore Achilles tendon and needs to rest it too. It's a bit of a balancing act between us. She has been doing the grocery shopping, which is great, as I don't think I'm ready to push a laden trollley around.

I did read the Activity Progression for TKRs again, and giving in to my need for rest before it gets too bad.

I have a plea on behalf of the dust bunnies on and under your furniture -
dust bunny.png

Dust bunnies are your friends - they show you have been resting well.

Remember, the dust isn't going anywhere. It's not a threat to the planet or world peace. It will still be there tomorrow should you wish to attack it. Laundry... minimize. Rest, and lots of it, is on your schedule. Home is a great place for that! :ice:

Progress!

It is nearly ten weeks since my bilateral TKR and things are happening, exciting things! I stopped using the shower seat in the shower about a month ago, but still use it to sit on after I get out, to dry my feet without having to stand on one leg. The toilet seat is now redundant, and these are soon being returned to the kind lady who let me borrow them.

I took the walker to the shopping centre last week, more for moral support than anything else (it's handy to sit on, and to put stuff into its "luggage compartment", but I don't really need it to help me walk.The walker is being returned to the company from whom I hired it. Yesterday I took my walking stick to the shopping centre, but it was more hindrance than help, and I ended up carrying it most of the time. So it can go back into the wardrobe, where it has lurked since 2012 when I used it after a hip replacement.

On Saturday night I had a BATH! It was wonderful, after being restricted to showers since my surgery. I'd been thinking about a nice warm bubble bath for weeks, but not game to try it. What if I got stuck in mid-air, or got in but couldn't get out? Anyway, I took the plunge, and, with my daughter hovering beside the tub in case I needed help, got in, and, later, out, with no trouble at all! It was really relaxing and I feel liberated. I'll still be careful, though.

Flexion is 120 for Miss Left and 110 for Miss Right. Pain is almost non-existent, except for one day when I was doing an exercise called "kick your bottom". (I can't). But Miss Right went further back than she had before, without my forcing it, and I was pleased. That didn't last long though, as a couple of hours later the knee was swollen and sore. I limped out to the garden to pick some tomatoes for lunch, but then thought I might fall over, so I had to go a few steps to the fence, and grope my way along the back and side fences until I was close enough to the house. Had a quick lunch, a strong pain tablet, elevated the leg and had a long nap. (Had no ice). By the time I woke the swelling was nearly gone, and completely gone by the next morning. I take extra care if I do that exercise again!

More news next time.

I take extra care if I do that exercise again!
Erm, don't do it again. There are zillions of stretching exercises you can do that are under your control. 'Kick your bottom' doesn't sound like a controlled exercise to me...

Ah, laying back in a nice bubble bath sounds heavenly! I am so glad you were able to get in and out of the tub!

In and out of the tub... you are a brave, brave woman! I haven't dared to try, though I think I could manage it, but I would hate to be wrong. Glad it worked for you and you got to enjoy that bubble bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom