BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Bilateral THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cadaval, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Cadaval

Cadaval New Member

Portugal Portugal
    Hello this is my first time posting. I am having both hips replaced on 28 April, just wondering if anyone has any good tips swelling, getting in out bed etc. Thanks

Tags:
  2. djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

United States United States
    @Cadaval Welcome to BoneSmart! :wave:And congratulations on your upcoming bilateral hip replacement! You will find this awkward for a while - one has to really think carefully about practically every movement especially if your surgeon gives you hip precautions to follow (ie not bending more than 90degrees, not crossing legs, etc). But those precautions are only in effect for 6-8 weeks. One of our wonderful moderators will be along soon to give you some articles to read about the Bone Smart mantra - Ice, Elevate, Rest, Medications. As for getting into and out of bed .... well slowly and carefully at first - the nurses and physical therapists at the hospital will probably be able to show you the best techniques for those maneuvers.

If you go over to the recover side, you will see tags in front of some of the threads - click on any green Bilateral tag and that will give you a list of all Bilateral threads here. Please feel free to read any and all of the threads to see how others have managed. And you can get to my thread (now 5 1/2 years old) through the link in my signature.

After the initial awkwardness I think you will be very pleased with the results and will be glad you did both hips at one time.

Best wishes to you :flwrysmile:

3. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome. Am tagging @Irish Joe - who I'm sure will be in touch.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

4. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Boa Noite Cadaval.
    I just love Portugal and its people. My wife and I holiday there for many years. Praia Pescadores and Falesia are beautiful.
    Enough about all that and very best wishes with your Bi-Lateral surgery on 28th.
    If you have any particular question please ask anything at anytime. I am really happy with the results of my surgery and you will be also. The earlier part of your recovery can be a little more difficult at first but the payoff is that you are finished in one go.
    I'm going to pop a tag off to @Jaycey and she will send you some important reading material about dealing with your upcoming surgery.
    Relax, try to eat well and count down the days to new life on the 29th.
    Once again feel free to as me anything at any time.
    Joe........

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Cadaval

Cadaval New Member

Portugal Portugal
    Thanks for your answer. We stay in Portugal 6 months of the year, I had intended to go back to UK for op but things changed quickly so could not make the journey back. It makes everything more scary as it is a system I don't know everyone seems very helpful at the hospital do fingers crossed

6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@Cadaval There is a wealth of information in our Library but I will give you the official reading list for members in recovery. The articles may answer your questions about swelling and moving around. Give us a shout if you need more information!
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cadaval

Cadaval New Member

Portugal Portugal
    Hi thanks for replies. I am worried about when the surgeon turns me to replace the second hip, I thought you could not lie on operated side and it will be for a while!

8. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Very short reply.
    Don't worry about it.
    He's done it loads of times.
    Chill out.
    Not long now so empty the mind a little
    See you soon and all will be done.
    Joe.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Cadaval.
    Apologies. I thought your surgery was today because you posted this in the post-op section.
    No worries the same answer applies its just I thought you were in a bed in hospital panicking.
    I didn't and still don't know which one they did first.
    Joe.......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

11. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

That's only when you are at home but during this you will be under medical supervision! Plus, if you are having an anterior or lateral incision, then you will be on your back throughout so it won't be an issue!