Bilateral THR Bilateral THR recovery

JMM2019

Country
United States United States
Hi all,

I had BTHR on Monday, Nov. 9, so I’m on day 4 of my recovery. It’s still very painful to get up (or down) but I’m making incremental progress. The catheter gave me a UTI, so I’m on antibiotics, hopefully my new hips won’t get infected. If anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it.

This site has been invaluable and I really appreciate the time and effort of its members...thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s still very painful to get up (or down) but I’m making incremental progress.
Only day 4 - of course it is painful. You just had 2 major surgeries. Are you icing and elevating? Taking your pain meds as prescribed, around the clock?

Here are your recovery articles for reference:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Icing and elevation have helped tremendously. The pain meds don’t seem to do much good but I still take them like clockwork.

You might ask your surgeon's office for an alternate pain medication. Everyone reacts to medication differently.

Hi and congratulations on your shiny new hips. The movement will improve with time. Your hips and body need time to heal. The recovery guidelines have loads of helpful information as do all the other members here who are going through or have gone through recovery. I hope your day is a peaceful one.

JMM,

I found a balanced approach with Tylenol was a complete substitute for narcotics - 4G a day.

While everyone responds differently post op, Tylenol was an easy way to deal with varying levels - I don’t think I could take narcotics on a schedule unless I could tell they were necessary and effective.

:wave: my new Double Hippy compadre. I know these first days are rough, but All Temporary.
Sorry you have the added concern of a UTI which is an all too common complicatation after catherization.:sigh:
This isn't going to cause joint infection so please don't worry but hope the antibiotics get rid of it quickly so you can be more comfortable. Drink, drink, drink...which yes, I know, causes us to pee, pee, pee, and trips to the bathroom for us bilaterals can be journeys in themselves.:umm:
Does keep us mobile however.

I agree with Jaycey that you may be able to see if your OS would check on alternate meds if they aren't doing their job. Ice was the best pain reliever I had but I took my meds on schedule also and though they didn't completely negate all the pain, I know they had me more comfortable.
I envied the Tylenol only folks, but wouldn't have worked for me.
It will get better and we get through this tough period.
The first two weeks were the toughest for me.
Sending healing mojo your way....it gets better.:console2:

Thanks so much @Mojo333 I was really worried the uti was going to cause joint infection...so glad to hear it’s not. I finish the round of antibiotic tonight (Sunday) and my symptoms have cleared up. I still have a nagging fever that pops up daily, did you have that experience? I felt better, in general, earlier in the week, I’m not sure why. Not from a pain standpoint, I just feel sick...kinda nauseated, headache, loss of appetite. I’m going to talk to my GP tomorrow about it.

My hips/legs are definitely getting more mobile and I had my first BM in a week, so some things are definitely improving!

your DHC

:wave:Well, things are definitely "going" in the right direction ( sorry, pun intended) :whistle:

It was about day 8 before I Went, and that constipation just makes you feel awful.
My mom suggested just sitting with a magazine and relaxing.:oyvey:yeah, right.
Hard toilet riser with BTHR...no relaxing.

I also had a little off and on low grade fever the first weeks and I also had little to no appetite. I didn't have antibiotics to boot, so I can see how you feel yucky.
I tried to drink lots and kept a pile of cold grapes to nibble along with some crackers or something more substantial for having to take my medication.
Meds on an empty stomach really made me nauseated.
Maybe since you are done with the antibiotics, things will clear up.
These first weeks really are bumpy, but I could tell very soon, that my bonecrunching hip pain was gone.
Quads were super sore as was the incision site....but all will heal.
Hope tonight is an easier night. The sleep all night thing took a bit for me too.
Power napping when I could was what got me through.
Healing mojo coming your way....

I still have a nagging fever that pops up daily, did you have that experience?

A low grade fever (less than 101.5 F) during the first week after surgery is a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. After the first week if you have a fever that lingers for more than a few days, or if a fever over 101.5F begins several days after surgery, it's recommended that you contact your physician to rule out the possibility of anything serious.

Your meds could be upsetting your stomach and having a negative effect on your appetite. Make sure to stay adequately hydrated in an effort to ease the headache. It’s good you’re talking to your GP tomorrow, possibly you can get meds adjusted. Consider asking about a probiotic to replenish the good intestinal flora, since you just finished a course of antibiotics, see what your GP’s feelings are on that. I hope you have a peaceful evening and feel better soon. :console2:

Day 8, talked to my GP, he mirrored @Layla’s comments about the fever. My appetite is better today, there’s a probiotic in my multivitamin, so maybe that’s helping. Also, I noticed I have Beyoncé hips :loll:

:rotfl:You are doing well if you can manage these first weeks with your sense of humor in tact and a positive attitude.
Superheros we are and oh, the places you will go with these new hips once all is settled.
Hope the bad tummy stuff is on its way out.

No fever for 2 days and my appetite is back...yessss! I get my staples out on Tuesday and then I don’t have another appointment until I see the surgeon in Jan. Shouldn’t I have some sort of PT follow up to check my progress, make sure my gait is coming along etc? They gave me a schedule of exercises to do but it seems like I would at least have a check in.

You really don’t need PT to recover from a total hip replacement. Here’s the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines, in case you haven’t made it through the articles yet.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Use the Activity Progression for THR as a rough gauge for activity and you should do just fine. :)

I hope you have a nice weekend. You seem to be doing really well! :ok:
@JMM2019

It‘s common practice to have a 6 week check up. Once the doc clears your hip surgery thru xrays and check your walking gate then usually driving is permitted and resume normal activities slowly.
The best exercise you can do is walking. Really ! Water PT or other Pt exercises can be done but the hip heals on its own and PT in some case can be to aggressive . Water therapy and regular PT caused more issues . The anti-gravity treadmill was a godsend and the best technique I have used to help balance strength and improve walking gait. Muscles and soft tissue take time much longer to heal than bone. Listen to your body and if it hurts stop. Take time to rest and maintain a good diet and supplements to help aide healing.

Practice walking with a good gait, heel to toe and standing up straight, wearing good fitting new shoes (remember old shoes have worn to the old gait with bad hip). New shoes with good arch supports are very important. In 6 months you will suddenly find that you have forgotten all about any hip issues. life begins to resume normally within the limitations of thr and continue to build strength and flexibility. Remember take care of that new shiny hip it will last for years .

Last edited:
Thanks so much @Layla and @Hippielife for the great information. I think I’ve already developed some bad habits walking with the walker, like not standing up straight or walking heel to toe, but I’ll work on it. I am so thankful for this site, not only for the guidance but having peeps to go through this weird journey with me...I am forever grateful.

Thanks for the kind words in regard to BoneSmart. As member‘s we’ve all been there, or are in the process, so we understand as we appreciated the camaraderie also. I know I did. Words of comfort, encouragement and reassurance from those who went before us probably saved many a surgeon’s office phone calls in regard to minor concerns.
Stop by often, we‘ll be here for support / encouragement and advise to the best of our ability.

Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@JMM2019

Ten days out ...from major surgery X 2...:ok:, my double hippy friend.
I think this was about the time my arms and shoulders were getting super sore as I realized I had been so hesitant early days to "trust" my new hips that I was almost 'levitating' as I used my walker to keep pressure off my hips. I had to relax and concentrate on using the walker for mostly balance.
Baby steps were the norm for a while longer as was one at a time steps until some more healing could happen in the soft tissue realm.
Slow will win this race, so keep keeping on.

Thanks @Mojo333 I took off the bandages and my incisions look good, no signs of infection. I did have the night sweats last night, not sure what that’s about. No fevers in the last 3-4 days though.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scaredtodeath
Recent bookmarks