Bilateral THR Bilateral THR Recovery Begins

Wyn wombat

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Everybody, job done 2 1/2 hour op last job of the day they must have been in a hurry to go home.
Not much pain at the moment, starting to feel my feet but groin and hips area feels as if a tractor is parked on them in a weird sort of way.
Nurse has brought me a bottle too use, but I would like to get a bit of feeling back down below first at the moment it feels as if I’m holding someone else’s.
Glad I read up on all your comments worst bit was injections into spine and electric shock down legs but I was aware of it due to other member comments.
Speak to you all later if I can’t sleep. :elevate:

Welcome to the healing side! :welome: I hope you are able to get some sleep and your pain is well managed. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.

You’ll find our Recovery Guidelines below which contain a lot of useful info. Stop back often, we’ll be here! :wave:

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Wyn wombat

The tractor tyre feeling across my middle was a full bladder, catheter inserted didn’t feel a thing, bladder empty 1.3 litres tractor tyre sensation gone. :running:

:wave: @Wyn wombat

Happy to see you on the Healing Side!:dancy:
The first week was definitely the toughest for me, but All Temporary became my mantra so relax and just roll with it.
Glad they got the pressure off that bladder... Takes a bit for things to wake up but glad you were aware of some of the odd sensations that come with it so you didn't panic.

I had some very anxious posts and questions postop on the forum as I didn't find Bonesmart until shortly before my BTHR.
Healing mojo coming your way!

Cheers @Mojo333, by 2.00 am this morning my meds wouldn’t touch the pain pressed my buzzer reluctantly, nurse came immediately saw my predicament fetched senior nurse who decided I needed a suppository they applied it I don’t know which one it was I will find out, by 3.15 am all pain gone, that was a long hour to wait for that too kick in.
Still couldn’t sleep was seeing things don’t laugh I saw a mouse chewing my slipper and the best one of all was watching my wife planting flowers outside my hospital room weird or what or strong meds.
After breakfast my physio came in and proceeded to stand up with frame at hand, balance a bit ropey but manage to get around the room, well happy at the moment but awaiting the inevitable bombshell, speak to you soon. :treadmill:

Well, good morning nurses have actually woken me this morning day 2 of recovery, the 3 1/2 hour sleep more meds and ice and then another 2 1/2 hour kip was a godsend after the nightmare of the previous night.
More meds now with the dreaded stair challenge to follow, dreading it. :tiredwheel:

More meds now with the dreaded stair challenge to follow, dreading it

I‘ll bet it was easier than anticipated. At least I found it to be way less of a challenge than anticipated. Funny how three or four steps can look so overwhelming.
Have a good one! :)

Happy days stairs done up and down, home tomorrow as long I have bowel movement, that is the most uncomfortable part having too sit on 2 incisions for long periods, there we are got to be done or I won’t go home. :dancy:

Yay home, everyone been busy getting everything ready for me, programmed my mobile phone to go off every 6 hours for my meds which are 5 ml morphine 2 paracetamol 2 codene phosphate every 6 hours plus Dabigatran etexilate twice a day ( blood thinner ) also 2 sachets a day movicol.
Result in loo department, bruising coming out with vengeance not bad home after 3 days after initially telling me 6 days.

Good to hear you made it home safely. Hopefully any discomfort is well managed and you’re resting easier in your own space. Don‘t forget to ice, :ice: it will help with pain and swelling.

Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
@Wyn wombat

Bad, Bad night last night nearly in tears feel as if I’m not in control both legs on fire and swollen rock hard my wife check my dressings during the night my right dressing was bulging with fluid, she phoned my GP surgery and the on call GP and nurse are calling today.
Hope it’s not an infection and why wasn’t meds responding, but eased a bit this morning. Will let you know what they decide. :alarm:

Oh my stars, @Wyn wombat :sad:
So sorry you are having such a tough time. Please tell me you are keeping your legs elevated and iced up as much as possible.
The ice was almost as good as the meds for pain relief and definitely helps keep the swelling down.
I used Lots of ice as much as I could...

Also, Burning sensations aren't uncommon but I am glad you are getting it checked out.

If you are taking your meds on schedule, not when needed because often that takes too long to catch up, then you may need to see if they have a cocktail that works better.
I had some leak into my incisions too.
Better to check and get some reassurance ....please update us when you can.

Just wondering...Did your have anterior or posterior approach?
The reason I ask...the burning seems to be more of a common complaint with anterior...and I know I had some scary periods of time where it felt like something tearing.
The way those quads get stretched about, they were extremely tender and burned when I moved about.

Last edited:
Oh no, so sorry to hear you've had such a bad night. Hope it continues to ease up.

Sure can, modesty is the only prerequisite

Are you able to elevate...close as you can to *toes above nose?

Hi @Mojo333 do these pictures explain it better. Ok possibly not toes above nose all of the time.

Attachments

• F7AAA5C8-756B-4150-958E-6A46F764FE8D.jpeg
    F7AAA5C8-756B-4150-958E-6A46F764FE8D.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 31CEEC58-DE98-4004-BDE4-C3EAF887AAB7.jpeg
    31CEEC58-DE98-4004-BDE4-C3EAF887AAB7.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 268
Hi @Wyn wombat :flwrysmile:. Those poor thighs! I'm sure one of the advisors will be along soon, but I'd advise you to keep your entire legs supported, something like this:
1621859028322.png

Has anyone called to check on you yet? Hope that pain has eased up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts