Bilateral THR Bilateral THR July 11

cold_brew

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone - long time lurker, first time poster!

It's finally coming up on go time. After a journey thru PT, cortisone, and PRP injections over the last couple years it's finally time to fix my osteoarthritis for real. I'm all set up for a bilateral hip replacement on July 11! Feeling pretty energized about finally doing this thing that's been in the future for a long time. Except for the wrapping things up at work part...that'll be no fun next week :).

Appreciate all the sharing everyone before me has done and I hope I can do the same.

OP
OP
cold_brew

cold_brew

Country
Going shopping for a recliner today since I don't currently have a good place to park my recovering self for days at a time...the living room couch is too fashionable :)

It looks like there are a few guides posted here on the recliner topic but interested to hear if anyone has thoughts/recommendations.

djklaugh

Staff member since December 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@cold_brew Welcome to BoneSmart and upcoming Bilateral club! Looks like you have read threads around here - but do ask any questions you might have and feel free to read other threads too ( link to my old one is in my signature).

What I did when getting my BTHR 10.5 years ago was to rent a hospital bed. I set it up in my front room - closer to kitchen and bathroom - and covered the big picture window for privacy. I kept it for about 3 months - total cost (back then) was $225. It was a very comfortable way to elevate legs and bet some good sleep. I tried my recliner but being of the very short persuasion that did not work well for me - just could not get comfortable enough to sleep.

If you do opt for a recliner you want one that you can close the foot rest part with either a lever or electric button. Closing one with your legs will be a big No No after surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Ocean

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m currently scheduled for the same day as you, left THR. I haven’t bought a recliner, there’s just no room for one in our small living room. I have changed one of our chairs for an orthopaedic straight back chair. I hope it’ll all work out ok with that and whatever else is already here.

OP
OP
cold_brew

cold_brew

Country
Back from recliner shopping at the local La-Z-Boy dealer and my cushy new best friend arrives on Weds.

A couple of key takeaways:

From one of the other threads I read that we wanted to make sure a) didn't require muscle power to put the footrest down, b) reclining action allowed sitting more or less upright with legs straight, for sitting/reading etc. We ended up picking a power one where the back & legs are independently adjustable for the most flexibility. Pricey but hopefully we can sell it "slightly used" when we're done.

1. By mostly luck we walked into the big July 4 sale...nice. I suppose if your surgery is a few months out, you'd be smart to see if any big sales are coming up on the calendar before pulling the trigger on a recliner.

2. If you're picky about colors and options you could be in for a long wait - it was either buy what's in stock, or expect a wait of ~4 months (!!), in 2022 COVID supply-chain world. So plan your furniture shopping well ahead...!

3. Power recliners these days have battery backup so when the power goes out you don't end up in an "I'm reclining and I can't get up!" situation. Glad someone thought of that :)

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
@cold_brew Thanks for the very informative post on buying a recliner. Some good information. Sounds like you made a good choice. I'm sure the recliner will be a great tool for you during your recovery. And who knows - maybe a keeper for you.

Eman85

supremo
Country
The battery back-up can be important. I have an electric recliner and I used it during recovery and it doesn't have battery back-up. Luckily during recovery I never had the situation arise but afterwards it has happened where I was reclined when the power went out.

wander03

Country
I wish I had seen your thread sooner. I bought a Pride lift chair before my right THR as suggested by a member of this forum. It, too, was quite pricey, but I consider it worth every penny. I have no plans to sell it, since I think I will continue to use and enjoy it long after my recovery. I have been so grateful that I have it. I have been comfortably sleeping in it for several months with it reclined to a virtually flat position. It has a 45-minute battery backup, which gives me peace of mind because power outages do occur in this area.

The recliner I have requires using ones legs to push to recline. I used It during my recovery from a right TKR last year. I think having to push down with my legs may have been a negative factor in my recovery. I’m glad you got a power recliner in which the back and legs are independently adjustable. With my Pride lift chair, I can adjust the leg rest, back, lumbar support, and head rest independently, so I know that the flexibility in your recliner will make a difference in your enjoyment of it.

I’m glad that you discovered this forum. The information and the advice given by the generous members has made a great deal of difference in my pre-op and my recovery.

Good luck!

OP
OP
cold_brew

cold_brew

Country
All the pieces are falling into place... Just got confirmation that the ice machine ('GameReady') recommended by my Dr is shipping and arriving Thursday. Not covered by insurance, $350 rental for 2 weeks.

It's gonna feel good to take it for a spin even *before* the surgery...

OP
OP
cold_brew

cold_brew

Country
Recliner arrived today! Seems even cushier than the well-worn showroom floor model we tested out this weekend.

The 'Hip Cave' is taking shape and is now suffused with that New Recliner Smell, love it

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Break that puppy in for your return home to your recovery nest.
Only days away now, wishing you comfort as you wait and will look forward to seeing you on the bright side next week! :SUNsmile:
@cold_brew

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
:hi: @cold_brew
I see you are set to join the Bilateral Hippy Club very soon.

At 5 years post-op, I cannot even fathom where I would be without this life-renewing surgery.
Finding out both my hips were toast at age 53 (and likely were so for many years prior as I struggled to get a diagnosis from terrible lower back pain) was a real shock to me.
Since I've always been very active and energetic, the years proceding my BTHR were wearing down my "soldier on " spirit.
I think my nervousness about my surgery was quashed a bit by the prospect of a cure for the pain, lack of sleep, and ever dwindling range of motion and stamina.
I am ever so grateful for now hips and will be cheering for you.
New hips rock:chuckmarch:

OP
OP
cold_brew

cold_brew

Country
Thanks for the thoughts y’all. Winding down the last hours until it’s time to do this!

In other news they just delivered my ‘GameReady’ cold/compression sleeve machine with two hip wraps. That thing is amazing, wish I’d had it for the last year for those tough days. But I guess it’s like $3k and rx-only so, sadly, I’ll have to send it back after the rental period is over…

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
Ice gel packs will work well when you need to return the Game Ready. Buy several and rotate them throughout the day.

Sounds like you ready for your big day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom