Bilateral Robotic assisted THR

Yogigirl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i am currently booked for a bilateral on 28th May although after reading some of the bilateral recovery threads I may get my right done first then my left as it becomes more problematic. It looks so so much harder than one at a time?!
I’ve an added complication of a drop foot on my left after spinal surgery in Nov 2016. I’ve a genetic neurological pressure palsy which wa# only discovered after I came around from the spinal fusion with only one working leg (although over time I’m just left with a drop foot). My surgeon suggested a bilateral as it would be hard to rehab using the left leg and they both need doing although only the right is really painful.
So I know I can manage pain and only one working leg! I’m also a yoga teacher so pretty fit and healthy although obviously restricted by my dis ability and my right hip pain/ restriction.
I’m a weird combination of scared and excited at the thought of a life without pain.

@Yogigirl Welcome to BoneSmart! If I were in your situation I would have both hips done at the same time. One procedure and one recovery.

The first days post op are tough no matter if it is one or two hips replaced. But once you get that pain management cocktail just right you are good to go. You gain mobility using crutches or a walker. Ice and elevate to reduce any swelling.

Since you are already pretty fit I would agree with your surgeon - you are a good candidate for BTHR.

I'm going to tag my colleague @Mojo333 who had BTHR and hasn't looked back. It all sounds very daunting while you are waiting for surgery. But I can confirm you won't regret this amazing procedure.

Hi @Yogigirl and welcome to Bonesmart:wave:
Thank goodness by months end, you will be on the road to recovery and will not have that horrid hip pain to contend with. You will be the best judge since you have the added complications you mentioned, but honestly I was so glad to be one and done (well, maybe after the first two or three weeks:umm:)
The hip pain was gone, and I would say that my pain was so bad prior to surgery, that after the first few days...I already knew that the incision pain and sore thighs were temporary struggles...and that it would all be getting Well very soon.
You sound like your surgeon has confidence in you being a good candidate for a bilateral hippy and I think you can do this.
Ask all the questions you want, and you can bet there is lots of great advice and encouragement here:ok:

Thank you
My poor husband just says what he thinks I want to hear in that moment as I keep changing my mind!! I’m seeing my consultant on Thursday so plan to ask lots of questions.
It’s so good to hear that the pain & restriction could soon be gone...or at least moving in a positive direction.
I don’t even know if my surgeon goes in anterior or posterior at the moment so lots to ask!

I’m a weird combination of scared and excited at the thought of a life without pain
This is a good thing! It is scary to think of having our hips replaced! As my surgery date approached...I was able to replace most of the anxiety by being excited about this being the thing that would give me my life back.
Wishing you peace about whatever choice you make...but I have never regretted this life changing surgery.:egypdance:

@Yogigirl Hi, my surgery is May 28. Left side. I've done yoga since I was 25. I won't be doing it after surgery tho. There is a possibility that I over did it through the years as the seated full forward bend started irritating my back and the sun salutation backwards lunge really irritated my left hip. I had to give up my headstand and wheel because of a shoulder injury 6 years ago, not related to the poses. Anyway I still have love for meditation and my meditation music, southwestern, like Arizona. I have a flute like the ones the Indians played, except it is really a nice one. The only tattoo on my body is the OHM sign on my ankle. Hope your surgery goes well and welcome to bonesmart...

Not long now for you. Get all those questions down on paper and take the list to your appointment. You're going to get back to doing all that you love very soon.

Thank you and @Cecropia my yoga style is a bit gentler than yours sounds. I’ve had two spinal surgeries so wheel and head stand have never been feasible options. My style is more about core strength and meditative breathing.
Same day surgery though so let’s hope our yogi strength makes it easier
See you on the other side x

Last edited:
Can I ask about anaesthetic preferences. My surgeon told me on Thursday that he’d use an epidural? I’d assumed I’d be under general.
Is there a benefit to epidural? Isn’t it more complicated if my spine has been fused at L4/5?!? There must be a lot of scar tissue around where they’d want to go in.
Plus I’m happy to admit I’d rather be asleep

Hi Yogigirl. I wonder if you are getting spinal anaesthesia vs. epidural.
There are easily confused but there is an article in our library that explains the difference.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/anaesthetics-spinals-femoral-blocks-gas-and-everything-else.5579/
I had general anaesthesia (my surgeon's preference) but some folks here who have experienced both swear that spinal with sedation (they do usually include sedation to keep you asleep) is the way to go. Many say it provides better pain relief for the immediate time after surgery, less side effects like nausea and "hung over" feeling, etc.
Please address the concerns about your spine with your OS office, and let them know you do not want to be awake.
I didn't want to "participate" in my surgery either!:nah:

Thank you
The surgeon actually said epidural with sedation ...but to bring headphones and music to listen to....which surprised me & implied I’m
Going to be awake ish
I am now more nervous about that than the rehab

I'm having spinal, I don't really understand, I just keep reading it's a good thing and that's what my surgeon said I would have. I asked about music, headphones to my stepson who works in OS, although won't be in on my surgery, he looked at me like I was crazy, lol, and said I would be under anesthesia, but not general. Make sure and tell them if you don't want to be awake with the spinal.. or epidural. Are you still doing bilateral? I'm still feeling pretty calm, just wondering when the ball is going to drop and I get uncalm... Been trying to rely on deep breathing and focusing on relaxation. BUT, I never planned on this.....
Good luck Tuesday, we will make it....yoga friend.

Last edited:
If you don't want to be awake @Yogigirl make sure to communicate that and the anesthesiologist will keep you asleep. Wishing you comfort as you await Tuesday. Not long to go now. You're going to love the result. :yes:

Hoping all is well with you and I see you have many recovery friends on the 28th.
I tried to be as prepared as I could, but I did have to send hubby got some stool softeners and a old vegetable laxative to deal with constipation which was NOT fun. Sending him to review the 9000 different products and calling me three times when I had brain fog...also not fun.
Get what you need ahead of time.
I also fell back in love with grapes, easy to nibble and I kept my large hospital sippy cup so I could stay hydrated without so many refill requests.

You will soon be on your way to getting well and back to your life.
I am ever so glad I had this done!:happydance:

Last edited:
Wishing you the best tomorrow, a smooth recovery and we'll be looking for you on the other side. You've got this!
:yes:

Sat waiting to be drawn on by my surgeon & to meet anaesthetist it all seems real now. So nervous but happier now I’m going to sleep through it!!
See you on the other side

Bye bye hip pain!:thumb:
See you on the healing side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member