Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Hah - my first real cycle! Today was a nice, if rather cold day. I decided to give cycling for real a go and actually succeeded! Not very far - just a 3 mile round trip, gently undulating. Knees felt good and it was amazing to regain one of my previous favourite things to do!☺️

IMG_4057.jpeg

IMG_4058.jpeg

Last edited:
Yippee! I'm so glad you were able to get back on and ride your bike. I know you were thrilled!

Oh YES!!!! A great update!!!!

Wow :thumb: I think a three mile round trip sounds like a great accomplishment so early on.
Getting back to the things we love is so rewarding and gives us a new appreciation.
Happy Tuesday!
@penliniaupoenus

Wow :thumb: I think a three mile round trip sounds like a great accomplishment so early on.
Getting back to the things we love is so rewarding and gives us a new appreciation.
Happy Tuesday!
@penliniaupoenus
Thanks! New appreciation for sure! Recovery is so slow from this procedure that sometimes it’s difficult to believe you’ll get back to your former self. But - at least today- I feel it’s coming

You’re a brave soul to do both at once. I guess it has its pluses and minuses.
Bless you and keep at it. You make me feel like a wimp complaining about a single partial.

You’re a brave soul to do both at once. I guess it has its pluses and minuses.
Bless you and keep at it. You make me feel like a wimp complaining about a single partial.
Hah!!! That’s what the anaesthetist told me as I was going down for surgery - well, she actually said that I was nuts! Funny thing is, it wasn’t my choice, after a series of X-rays, the surgeon told me that was what what going to happen….I had no choice! Glad I did it like this now though …. Just one recovery!

When was your surgery? How you doing?

Charleyhorses/spasms/cramps!

I’ve used Mendogal’s term but I feel it describes today pretty well. At least I feel I’ve been kicked by a horse.

After some 15 minutes on the exercise bike followed by some gentle stretches, my left quad just went into a ridiculously painful cramp. It’s done it before, and a hot bath relaxed it effectively. Not this time though…. It lasted about 5 hours. Had to take some tramadol and lie down with a hot water bath on my leg. The pain lessened somewhat after about an hour but has not gone!

How do others deal with these nasty episodes?

Charleyhorses/spasms/cramps!

I’ve used Mendogal’s term but I feel it describes today pretty well. At least I feel I’ve been kicked by a horse.

After some 15 minutes on the exercise bike followed by some gentle stretches, my left quad just went into a ridiculously painful cramp. It’s done it before, and a hot bath relaxed it effectively. Not this time though…. It lasted about 5 hours. Had to take some tramadol and lie down with a hot water bath on my leg. The pain lessened somewhat after about an hour but has not gone!

How do others deal with these nasty episodes?
You can buy a topical spray on magnesium. I take supplementary oral magnesium but every now and then a foot, calf, or inner thigh muscle will just GO on me.
The spray on has been my first aid for this for many years. It's a little pricy, but I bought it in 2008 and still have half a bottle left - minerals don't really expire.
I spray, massage, and gently manually stretch the muscle.

Ugh! That spasm was a long one! If you are getting them often and still struggling with sleep you may want to try Magnesium and see if it works for you. It promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep) and also supports muscle relaxation and nerves. You can also try 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic (water that contains quinine) before bed. My mom swears by it.
Wishing you a spasm free weekend of restorative rest. Take good care!
@penliniaupoenus

Thanks @Layla and @mendogal. Muscle still in spasm this morning - although not as bad as yesterday. Knee is swollen and difficult to move:gaah: . Found some old vitamin pills that have Mg in them; took some about two hours ago and magically my knee's feeling a little better! Going to get some tonic Q water later.

So glad this forum exists to get advice like this :friends:

I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this. Thankfully it's improved some. Hopefully it feels better as the day goes on.

If you purchase the Q Tonic, or something similar, make sure it contains quinine as an ingredient, some only contain quinine flavoring.
@penliniaupoenus

Oh my, that sounds awful. Do you have a heating pad? The heat will last longer with one of those than it will with a hot water bottle. Sometimes standing on my toes would help it go away. If you try this, make sure you are holding on to something!

So …. I went to my physio session with my ridiculously swollen knee. My PT got a second opinion from a senior PT who in turn sought another opinion from his superior! None had any firm idea about why my knee behaved like it did:shrug:. As it was a Friday afternoon, they couldn’t do much apart from telling me to watch out for increasing heat from the joint.

I’ve continued with Mg supplementation and drinking q-tonic water. Not sure it’s directly because of this, but my knee seems to be getting better at quite a good rate - phew :) :-) (:

I went to my physio session with my ridiculously swollen knee. My PT got a second opinion from a senior PT who in turn sought another opinion from his superior! None had any firm idea about why my knee behaved like it did
Normally, swelling like this is an indication that you are doing too much for your knee at its stage of healing. Try backing off and doing just your daily activities for a couple of weeks. That should allow some of the swelling to come down and allow the inflammation to lessen, which causes the swelling.

my knee seems to be getting better at quite a good rate - phew
This is really good news. Now, to get that swelling down!

I went to my physio session with my ridiculously swollen knee. My PT got a second opinion from a senior PT who in turn sought another opinion from his superior! None had any firm idea about why my knee behaved like it did
Normally, swelling like this is an indication that you are doing too much for your knee at its stage of healing. Try backing off and doing just your daily activities for a couple of weeks. That should allow some of the swelling to come down and allow the inflammation to lessen, which causes the swelling.

my knee seems to be getting better at quite a good rate - phew
This is really good news. Now, to get that swelling down!
Thanks! Weirdly it was on one of my ‘down days’ that it happened, where I’d not done very much at all :shrug: . In general though, I have been doing a lot so maybe it was a cumulative thing? I’ve really backed off today and it feels much better…2 mile run planned for Monday (Just a joke!)

Well, my swollen knee seems to have resolved itself nicely. It’s feeling absolutely fine again☺️

So …. I went for an about a mile and a half walk on undulating terrain to my local beach. Walking downhill is getting easier and my pace has increased. The only downside was looking at the waves…. There was a lot of swell today. Still think that returning to surfing is a fair way off

IMG_4071.jpeg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
sophiawilson
Recent bookmarks