Bilateral TKR Bilateral on Jan 20

KateLynn

Country
United States United States
Scheduled for bilateral total knee replacement on January 20. Doctors office very encouraging about outcome but anesthesiologist visit was a bummer! She was very negative about the fact that I was having a bilateral at 64. Anyone out there of my age with encouragement or comments?

Why was she negative? Did she think you were too young or too old?
There are many people on this forum that have had bilaterals at or close to your age.
I didn't have a bilateral, but looked into it. My left tkr was at age 65. Rightie is being replaced in 2 days at age 69.

@KateLynn Welcome to BoneSmart! We have plenty of members who had bilateral TKR! It's the way to go if you need both knees done and are a candidate for the surgery. One surgery, one recovery.

I'm not sure why that anaesthetist was so negative. Perhaps she could not imagine having BTHR. But that sounds like a personal choice!

My colleague @Roy Gardiner had BTKR and was delighted with the results. I've tagged him so that he can come and chat with you here.

She was very negative about the fact that I was having a bilateral at 64
What were her reservations?

One surgery, one recovery. If you have them done separately the time gap between them is simply added to your full recovery time.

See my BILATERAL TKR Recovery Diary

She said typically they only do BTKR on “young and healthy people”! I have no co-morbidities with the exception of mild controlled HBP. She also shook her head and told me I was going to have a few very bad days after surgery. I jokingly told my doc that if she was the anesthesiologist handling my surgery that day they were going to have to sedate me before they took me in!

Why was she negative? Did she think you were too young or too old?
There are many people on this forum that have had bilaterals at or close to your age.
I didn't have a bilateral, but looked into it. My left tkr was at age 65. Rightie is being replaced in 2 days at age 69.
I pray your surgery will go well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks