Bilateral MoM heading for revision

Glad you are getting somewhere so hopefully you can get healthy .
A double double hippy. :chuckmarch:
You will be a super hero!

Wishing you All the Best as you go forward!:friends:

@Triker, great to hear you seem to connect with the new surgeon. On your first surgeon's reluctance to revise ... you know ... there seems to be some kind of emotional block that a lot of surgeons have to facing up to problematic surgeries. Time after time on this board, it seems people have to go to a different doctor than the original to get help.

Yesterday i reported my problems with the Biomet M2A to the FDA. These implants are no longer used in Europe or Australia but so far haven't been recalled here in the US.Go figure. Maybe, if enough people report there issues something will be done. There are so many problems with this device I just can't believe nothing has been done to stop their usage here. Below is the response I got from the FDA.

Dear Reporter:

Thank you for submitting your report to MedWatch, the FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.

This acknowledgment confirms that your report was received. Reports are added to a post marketing safety database with similar reports and reviewed by the FDA's post marketing safety staff. Voluntary reports are essential for ensuring the continued safety of FDA-regulated products. One or two well documented case reports may provide an early signal of unexpected problems and lead to additional evaluation. This may result in FDA regulatory actions that improve the safety of the products used in patient care each day.

You will only be contacted for follow-up by FDA if additional information on this report is needed in our evaluation process.

Again, thank you for taking the time to submit your report. If you have any questions, please send them to: [email protected] .

Sincerely yours,

MedWatch

Ugh for FDA response...blah, blah, blah.
I mean, I know it's a stock answer but it IS nice to know they keep up and hopefully others who have concerns/issues down the line will add their voices.
Maybe, if enough people report there issues something will be done.
Very important to make your case known.
I'm glad you did it!!

Last edited:
Hi @Triker
Wondering if you had a date for surgery?
I hate that you have to deal with this and hope that they will also address the issue with the other hip before it gets as bad.
Wishing you all the best on this journey.

As of right now I'm looking at the beginning of May. I'm back to work full time but I'm on light duty. I'm trying to be real careful and not cause a repeat of what happened in January. I still feel like something is moving down there that shouldn't be and when I lift anything over 30 pounds, I feel a dramatic increase in pain. So, I'm just trying to gut it out till then. I've been given my pre-surgical replacement class materials. The scheduling nurse said I can pass on the class as long as I call her Monday and discuss the material on the phone with her. I did see something new in the material that I do want to clarify with her. The last time I had surgery I was told to eat a light diner the night before and no fluids after 10pm. The new guideline in the booklet said a light diner the night before and clear liquids up to 2 hours before surgery. That's new. Anyway, maybe I'll have a firmer date tomorrow.

I hope the time passes quickly and do take care at work.
I think they like people to stay hydrated anymore before surgery.
I've seen the change in presurgery protocols.

Hope you have a relaxing Sunday.

Just saw your story! I am glad everything seems to be straightening out surgeon wise! Hate that you have to wait so long being in pain. Hope you get your finalized date soon I know waiting on that can be frustrating.
Keep us all updated! Everyone is rooting for ya! :loveshwr:

@Triker I am sorry to hear about your experience. I can relate to what you mean as I am currently 6 weeks post op from a revision TLHR due to metallosis. I was implanted with a DePuy acetabular system back in 2009 and I had high levels of cobalt and chromium. I started developing symptoms a few months before my surgery and had intermittent groin pain, muscle tingling, and confusion. When my surgeon (who I am truly blessed to have!) went inside, he confirmed a big pocket of fluid build up.

I know a revision surgery isn't something we want and it does take a toll on our emotional and physical health. However, since the long term side effects of metallosis are unknown, a revision is really important to eliminate the source of metal ions. I too was worried before going into surgery with all of the things I have read online about success rates of revisions vs. primary and metallosis related issues. However, in reality, this is something we need to get better and you have to stay strong! My recovery experience has been fairly similar to my primary one. Please feel free to DM me if you have any particular questions.

Stay strong and I wish you the very best!

On a side note, If you haven't come across it, I recommend watching "The Bleeding Edge" documentary on Netflix. It's an interesting watch...

Tapan,
I'm hoping it won't be too bad, I guess I'll find out when the doctor gets in there. I'm not looking for a miracle . I'd be happy if I can walk to the back of the store to get a gallon of milk without the dull ache. I was told to call Monday for a date for the first hip.

Ah! I still don't have a date! The doctor is having a problem assembling a team for my special needs. They promised to get back to me this week.:(

:fingersx: you hear something very soon.
Wishing you comfort as you wait for word!:console2:

Ok so, I was called by the doctors office and was told that my surgery will be moved out to June. My surgeon wants to have a cell salvage machine available for my surgery and is having difficulty finding a nurse with the certification to run it. He has tried to reach out to other hospitals but hasn't had any luck finding anyone. This is central NY state, Rochester to be exact, and I can't imagine why finding someone should be so difficult. Can anyone explain why this is the case? This machine is used for open heart surgery and all sorts of bloody surgeries and I can't imagine they are being put on hold for lack of a certified nurse. Geeze! We're talking about another 100 days.

@Triker Aw man that's still 3 months away. I can completely understand your frustration! I really hope you get something much sooner than that. Have you asked the doc for chelation therapy? This should make sure your metal ions stay at a minimal until you have your surgery.

Today I received two calls from Zimmer Biomet for additional information concerning my M2A implants. They would like me to send additional reports, x rays and whatnot that I have on hand. I wonder what this is all about? I gave the FDA permission to share my report with Zimmer already.

:what:
You have Someone's attention!
Please keep us updated.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back