Bilateral TKR Bilateral knee replacement

Mamamoe

Country
United States United States
I am having Bkr on June 30 and I am pretty scared. I have done a great deal of research but you still do not really know what to expect. One thing that is a given is the Pain. I have had so much pain over the years that I’m not really worried about that. In the last few weeks it has gotten so bad it’s difficult to make it from the bed to the bathroom. Some days I am in bed all day because I just cannot walk. I should have had this done years ago but did not want to take time away from work, but now I cannot wait any longer.. I just want my life back, I want to be able to walk on the beach and just be able to walk without pain.

@Mamamoe You are one day before me. This will be my 2nd PKR. The first week or so are the worst. Just resolve yourself to that fact, you will be fine. Listen to the advice on BoneSmart. Ice. elevate, and rest the first week or so. Slow and steady. You will be SO happy once you are on the other side!!!
Good Luck!

@Mamamoe
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Most of us are nervous and scared facing joint replacement, what you are experiencing is normal.

Here are some articles that may help you prepare for your upcoming surgery.
New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I’m having bilateral knee replacement on July 14 and I’m also very scared...

@Mamamoe
You will notice I moved your post in the July Sparklers to your pre op thread will you will receive more responses to your questions and concerns.
Your welcome to the July Sparklers was on the first page, post #18.

Being scared and nervous is normal before a major surgery, at least you will be one and done. I will tag @Roy Gardiner to come and talk to your about his bilateral TKR's.

I’m having bilateral knee replacement on July 14 and I’m also very scared...
I was too petrified even to look at the recovery side. I did BTKR largely because I thought that the experience of doing one would make me too chicken to do the other. I was a gibbering wreck.

Take heart. Gibbering wreck or John Wayne, the knees are the same afterwards, and it's So Much Better.

Best of luck! I had bilateral TKR on Mar 16 & my only regret is that I didn’t do it long ago! My pain was never very bad ( I did my pain meds On schedule & used the ice machine constantly). I had read all the horror stories & made the mistake of watching a video.....mine was the day before the shut down & I suspect had they cancelled Me I would not have gone through with it. I try to get on here every so often to post as I suspect most people with a good result move on with life & so there are more posts with problems - you can read my recovery thread if you like. . Best wishes for a great recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @Mamamoe . Being worried about a bilateral is totally normal - and wise. You have the time to think about how you want your home to be set up for the least interference in recovery, who you want around to do what for you and when, and as Roy said, accept the first week or so will be painful ... but you will be so much more able to enjoy and live your life on your terms again afterwards! :spin: I had hoped to have a bilateral knee replacement - my body had a different plan. But my hips were bilateral and I am so glad we did it that way. You have no choice to fully accept all your new parts and the amazing technology that got them for you and you will be fully balanced in all your recovery. I remember so many "little ol' men" in PT after my hips who kept leaning on the "good" leg and never really stood up tall and balanced.:yikes: This will be good! We all wish you well!! Keep us posted - we are here to support you in this journey.

Thanks for all the good advice. 5 more days until the Bilateral surgery and I am ready to get this behind me. I have a portable commode and the hospital will supply me with a shower chair. My husband will be here to take care of me. I was wondering if I need to purchase any ice packs for my knees. If so what do you suggest. I’ve looked on line and there are so many different kinds..

wondering if I need to purchase any ice packs for my knees
You can, but it's perfectly possible to use large packs of frozen peas to achieve the same effect, and pretty cheap. Hi-Tech is not always needed :) :-) (: !

Sounds like a good idea or either I guess you can just put ice in some baggies.

@Mamamoe you might also want to look into a Lounge Doctor leg wedge. You can do the same thing with pillows. The Lounge Doctor is very handy.
You will be going through a lot of Ice / bags of peas. I have found that keeping my knee cool has been VERY helpful with reducing pain and swelling!
Good Luck!!
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also want to check with your OS's office. They will sometimes prescribe things that will be delivered to you in the hospital, especially with a bilateral. I loved renting an ice machine and not having to worry about running (well, wobbling) to the fridge to change out bags of ice or peas every 20 minutes the first couple of weeks.

Mamamoe;
when I had my first tkr , after they put the bandage and ace wrap on they put a large velcro ice wrap with 2 gel packs in it on me. they worked very well. they would change it out about every hour for me. they let me have both of them when I was discharged. when I got home I would put one on my knee, and put the other in the freezer. they worked really well that way. they were good size.they covered the entire knee, and part of the thigh. they will probably do you the same way. that way you will already have ice packs when you are discharged. hope you have a great recovery

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much about the information with ice and the leg wedge. I looked up the leg wedge and I think I will order that, I think it will work better then pillows... I will email everyone after my surgery, I’m sure I will need all the support I can get.

Thanks for being here and responding, it’s nice to know there are others going through the same thing...

When shopping for a leg wedge, make sure you get the correct style, as they are not all created equal. There are several that are appropriate.

@Mamamoe - my ice machines were my most helpful item in recovery from my bilateral TKR on Mar 16. My surgeon said I could just use ice packs but I had heard so many good things about the ice machines that I was insistent on getting one. It turned out that my insurance covered it & I got 2- one for each knee.

Best wishes for tomorrow, @Mamamoe .
I'm sure you'll find that once you get to the hospital, everything will go smoothly.

Relief is on the way! We'll be looking forward to hearing how you are doing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back