Bilateral TKR bilateral knee replacement

Tman

Country
United States United States
Hello Iam new to all this iam having bilateral knee replacement 11/19/19
Any advice? Iam having second thoughts and a lot of anxiety with all that could happen

@Tman Welcome to BoneSmart! Of course you are anxious. We were all in that space pre-op. But the good news is once you get those knees replaced you won't look back. And since you are obviously a good candidate for bilateral - that is certainly the way to go. One op and one recovery.

Perhaps you could share what you are worried about. Those of us who have been there might be able to reassure you.

My colleague @Roy Gardiner had BTKR. I've tagged him to come and chat here.

Thank you for replying most of my anxious thoughts are of fear of dying I have a young family , mostly what ifs like not waking up , blood clots and a whole lot of other what ifs FYI my implants are going to be Stryker

@Tman the incidents of any TKR patient dying are extremely rare. These days they do a significant amount of pre-op assessments so any "hidden" health issues are identified and addressed before you proceed.

Do you know what anaesthesia you will be having? Please know that the anaesthetist will be at your side through the entire procedure monitoring you very closely.

And blood clots will be prevented as you will most likely be given a prescription for blood thinning medication. If you are moving around regularly post op the chances of blood clots are very low.

Thank you no I do not know for sure but I believe spinal plus light general if that makes sense I have not got to talk to the sleep doctor yet. I live in casper Wyoming but I am having it done in Laramie Wyoming with premier bone and joint the same doctor repaired them in 14

spinal plus light general
Yes that's what I had. You'll not notice a thing!

BTKR the way to go, especially if you're as nervous as I was. Everything just once.

Tman

I know exactly how you feel. I had the same thoughts prior to my bilateral knee replacement on Oct 23. So far my recovery has been good. After one night in the hospital, I went to a skilled nursing facility. Though the facility was a little rough around the edge, I am glad I went there. They had pt and ot people to get me started on my recover. One still has to be committed to do the prescribed exercises on your own. After three week, I am able to do pretty much most things around the house though I limit myself.

Good luck with you surgery. Just tell yourself “I am going to do this”.

Tman - I’m right there with you! Hoping for bilateral bionic knees but terrified at the same time. I’ll be watching your recovery & cheering you on. Mine is hopefully in Jan or Feb

Thank you both it’s my first time on this sort of blog thing

So, you are put on a blood thinner? I am with Tman about some of the fears. How long are you on a blood thinner?

Yes xeralto after surgery for 10 days then aspirin but had a blood test to see if Iam a clotter and haven’t found out yet surgery is tomorrow at 3pm

Something to keep in mind with prescribed exercises is, if it hurts, don’t do it. Pain is a signal that you are doing something your knee isn’t ready for. Working through pain will keep your knee inflamed, creating more pain and swelling. Your new knee needs gentle treatment so it can heal. Too many of us are subjected to too many painful exercises. They are not necessary.

Mobility is important, short walks and very gentle knee bends will take care of that.

We will be thinking of you tomorrow! Let us know how your journey goes and I am sure you have read the information given. That is such good information to have on hand!

May you have smooth sailing and positive vibes sent to you!

All the best today @Tman ! See you on the other side soon!

Thank you all for the encouragement and information just letting the nervousness come and go it’s 8:45 Am here in Wyoming , going to hospital at noon still scared but I know I can do this

Good luck today! Being scared is normal, but you'll soon have everything behind you and be on your way to taking your life back.

Best of luck! Will be watching for your updates

Well I ended up getting a total on both knees
Doing ok can’t seem to find that right pain med yet hurts pretty bad and can’t sleep I hope I can get turned around

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom