Bilateral TKR Bilateral Knee Replacement-Ups and Downs

@Taoquest , you and others that have btkr are rockstars! It sounds like you are making great progress and I wish you continued healing. I went to the acupuncturist yesterday and other than needling and red laser therapy, he used this machine that generates heat and ultrasound massage. He went around the outer areas of my knee with it and swelling went down dramatically, tissue loosened up and that outer left edge which has been numb started to come alive. I think you are onto something w heat and light pressure!

I am going next week for my 6 month check. Still hurts when I get up from a chair and when I use the stairs. Also still some numbness and heat off and on in the knee. I am going to ask about acupuncture for the knee. I started to do the side to side lunges again. It only is painful going from right to left? Nobody has recently mentioned magnesium supplements and magnesium gel. I think both are helpful

I think they do and you can get them from Amazon or CVS

I was just going to chime in and mention @BBCG but you beat me to it.

Hello @Taoquest Happy Wednesday!

Aside from topical agents there are supplements.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from the BoneSmart Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

My preference is Magnesium Glycinate, meaning the Magnesium is bound to glycine, elevating it’s absorption level, helping our body make the most of it once ingested. In this form, it’s less likely to cause laxative effects than in other forms.

Best Wishes for a happy, healthy holiday season! :)

Thanks, Layla and group for chiming in regarding use of magnesium… I went to a highly regarded massage therapist after my first TKR for help with lots of pain from the so-called zingers, nerves that are rebuilding following being tweaked during surgery. She used the gel on my knee as well as on the areas where the nerve zingers were happening and I got much relief. So, prior to this surgery, I got a bottle of the stuff and I used it only for a short time, as I didn’t really need it as much this time. It seems to calm the nerve zingers, probably due to low magnesium levels in those tissues perhaps triggered by the surgery, I’m guessing… since I’m not a surgeon or doctor, I’m not quite sure of why it helps, but some of what was said above may answer that…

Almost 6 months out and my constant general fatigue is gone! And I am now doing volunteer work and I am so glad that I am now feeling almost “normal“. Still no knee pain and that’s a nice surprise. I have learned to cope with my back spasms by consciously not twisting and using my arm muscles when getting up. What a long journey this has been but totally worth it. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are doing well @Taoquest! Early recovery is tough but pain free knees are amazing.

That milestone when you're so glad you did it is The One, isn't it?

6 Months Out of Bilateral TKR

@Ghostpipe said This recovery really does take a year, but I found that things start to speed up from five months, and at six my strength really started to flood back.

This also happened to me. As I stated last week, my dreaded Energy Drain is mostly gone now, and my stamina is slowly returning. I can do most things, although a little more consciously and slowly. The volunteer work I am doing certainly keeps me active and I feel that I am getting in shape again. My Lower Back Muscle Spasms- I’ve kept them in check by not torquing my back and also using my arms to rise. I will see my Back MD next month, so we’ll hopefully get a clearer picture of what it going on.

So at 6 months, I am feeling that having Bilateral TKR to be the best decision I’ve made. There were certainly some bumps in the road, but I am so pleased with these knees and my progress. A lot of that had to do with preparation, work, patience, and all the help and advice from those at BoneSmart. This site was like a guiding light, giving me direction and keeping me sane.

Great update @Taoquest! I'm looking forward to the day you post about diving again!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom