Bilateral TKR Bilateral Knee Replacement-Ups and Downs

OK I have a question and hope that the wonderful kneezies out there may have an answer or suggestion. After my procedure for bilateral TKR 2 weeks ago, my blood pressure has been low since surgery. It was 103/52 at time of discharge 2 weeks ago, and today at the surgeon’s office it was 112/57. Prior to surgery it was a little high and controlled by Lisinopril. I feel fine, no dizziness or other symptoms. My surgeon’s office didn’t seem concerned. Will this go away? Should I call
my PCP? Thanks!

Tao, sounds like a great report! BoneSmart works! Keep up the good work.

Do you have a blood pressure machine at home that you can check it throughout the day and see if it is always low? If it is, I would give my PCP a call and see if he/she wants you to stop taking the lisinopril for a while.

Yes,,call your GP. Same happened to me. My cardiologist said the likely culprit was Tramadol. It lowered my BP to 104/60 and I did have a few dizzy spells. It also raised my heart rate from 60 BPM to 80! I have been off Tramadol for 4 days and things are back to normal. This may not be the case with you. I decided I could get by with some Tylenol and Advil and ice packs. Definitely a bit more pain, but it’s getting better. Good luck!

Agree. Call your PCP and run it by him. May be the meds as Flutter said.

Today marks three weeks with my new knees, and the changes are opening up. I can now walk, and in PT I walked the perimeter of the facility. I ditched the Walker and now use a Drive 4-wheeler With ability to carry stuff! I can make my tea in the morning, and have started Physical Therapy. My Rom was 100 on my left knee, and 90 on my right. He said that the surgeon wants my Rom 120 in 2 weeks, but I am going to ignore that-my knees are still swollen! I still use the ice machines overnight, and ice packs during the day while using my Lounge Doctor. The pain has been about a 2 after exercise, and I use Vicodin before bed. My sleep has been good- I nap during the day, and can rotate my bike petals for a few turns. So I am pleased with my progress so far, although I am glad to be retired- recovery is a full-time job!

i forgot to mention how walking on my new knees feel different. Sometimes a little wobbly but no pain and my center of gravity is different. After many years, my knees are straight, and my gait has changed. This will take some getting used to, and I want to focus PT on that. I plan to tell them that tomorrow.
PS- I bet I am at least an inch taller.

I also noticed how different it felt to walk and I only had one knee done. It was almost like unlearning and relearning which is why I’m considering having my other knee done so they can learn together. Great progress!

You’re doing great @Taoquest! And Sister Pat is correct, numbers don’t matter. Don’t let someone one else hurt you so they can say their patients “met their numbers”. Gentle stretching, maybe light massage, and help with your gait is all the PT that is helpful this early.

Hi, my bilateral was 5-5-21 and my surgeon corrected my bowed legs and I gained 1/2 inch! I am pleased about that.

After our first assessment session where my PT (who is one of the owners) seemed annoyed at my hesitation for pain, well he has passed me off to an associate Rachel, who is great! She had been watching me last week, and asking questions about my bilateral surgery, which is very rare at this facility. Gentle massage, trigger points in the leg, stretching exercises, and then ice for ten minutes on my knees.
She has agreed not to inflict pain, and is actually encouraging me, unlike he who shall not be named. So I will continue PT twice a week, focusing on my gait, muscles, etc. I am one happy camper.

The problem is it doesn’t hurt when I’m doing it so you think it’s fine
Today I am exactly one month out from Bilateral TKR. I was feeling good after PT on Thursday, stood with my cane way too long in my yard talking with neighbors, walking around the house, picking things up, Downplaying my sister’s concern- I felt great! What was I thinking?!!
Well, went to bed with my ice machines, woke up yesterday, and couldn’t put weight on my right knee- the outer part was a sharp pain! Used the walker to just go to the bathroom, and have retreated to my Lounge Doctor and Ice Machines, with Vicodin/Tylenol for pain, and Gabapentin for those zappers. Today the pain has lessened, but I will continue to follow this regimen through tomorrow, to calm everything down. The Knee-Gods have spoken, and I will obey.

Last edited:
The Knee-Gods are somewhat finicky, aren't they? Sometimes I can definitely remember why they are angry (vacuumed the whole house, sat in the car for too long, etc.) and sometimes I can't figure it out at all (wake up and my knee is totally stiff and sore).

OK, this is day 3 of sharp pain on the outer side of my right knee when I stand or move my knee to straighten it. Push my knee to its side on my lounge Doctor and it goes away. I have been resting with only necessary trips to the bathroom, and am now using my ice machines nonstop. I am supposed to go to PT tomorrow, and plan to call first, to see if they can look at this, instead of the round table of exercises.
I have been reading about Outer Knee Pain in ‘Search’ and the IT Band keeps coming up. Not sure what else I can do. I am disappointed that I seem to be getting worse, and may have to put in a call to my surgeon’s office. or should I just keep using RICE for a bit longer? I’m sorry, just having a Pity Party here.

@Taoquest , You're still only a month out from very major surgery. Complete recovery takes a full year.
You still need to be careful about how much activity and exercise you do.

It's still normal to have aches and pains in your knees and everywhere else, as your body adjusts to a new way of walking.
Take several days of decreased activity and increased resting, icing and elevation, and see if that helps with the outer knee pain.

By the way, I've changed your thread title, as you requested. You can post in this thread if you'd like a change to your thread title. Any of the Moderators or Senior Forum Advisors will be able to do it for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts