BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Bilateral knee replacement muscle pain

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by maggie, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggie

maggie new member

I had bilateral knee replacement surgery 8 weeks ago and have been progressing excellently. In the last few days, I have been having muscle spasms/pain/cramps in both legs in both the quads, hamstrings and calf muscles. I almost fell in a store yesterday when this happening. It is scary. Does anyone have any ideas if this is a normal part of recovery? Thank you.

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you discussed this with you PT? If not, I suggest you do so. It might possibly be do do with the way you are putting weight on or using you legs in walking. I say this because when I had my arthroscopy last year, I started getting strange pains in my leg. I visited the PT and she watched me walk across the room, gave a few simple instructions on how I was placing and lifting off my feet improperly and - hey presto - I walked out of the department like a youngster! I couldn't believe it! I really hope it is something as simply for you.

3. maggie

maggie new member

Thank you for your reply. I talked with my PT today and she thinks it may be that I am over exercising at home. I am using a treadmill and bike plus doing other exercise she has given me. So I am going to back off some of the exercising and see if this helps. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.