Bilateral THR Bilateral hip replacement

Jad26

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi new member here. Due for bilateral hip replacement in 4 weeks 2/9. Im only 32 but recently my knees swelled up again so i went to rheumatologist and he advised aspiration of both knees and steroid shots in both. Now after reading online it says you shouldn't have surgery within 3 months of a cortsone shot. Im confused does this mesn only in the joint being replaced or will steroids in the knees affect my hip surgery. I been waiting months for this surgery and im mentally ready i would be devasted if i have to wait another few months and not be happy with my rheumatologist suggesting this when he knows i have surgery in 4 exactly 4 weeks to the day which was friday 5/8. Please any advice would be great im really scared now that im going to get a infection as my immune system is compromised. Has anyone had the same experience i have literally been stressing the last 2 days constantly on my phone searching and its driving me madd!! I just want to put my mind at rest thank you

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you're stressing as you are. Rather than continue to worry yourself with this, please contact your surgeon and have a conversation with him over your concerns. IF he has good reason to advise that you wait, accept that he as your best interest in mind. If you haven't already, consider researching how to ramp up your immune system which will benefit you in general as well as in recovery from major surgery.
Stay in touch, we'll be here to support you through both surgery and recovery. :)
@Jad26

@Layla thank you for responding. My surgeon is not easy to get hold of there is no contact only through his secretary or the orthopedic centre. I have tried to find info on boosting immune system like taking astragalus and eating a healthy diet which i do anyway. Im just loosing sleep over this ive waited so long and i know if he says wait its the best for me but im so mentally geared up waiting another few months will just be devastating. Do you know of anyone on here who had steroids shots in other joints that are not being replaced. Why would my rheumatologist do this i even mentioned it to him.about the healing and he said it wont affect me and the knees not being swollen and stiff will help my helps when healing and mobility. Im just stressing out since yesterday just trying to find awnsers but so much different information

I have tried to find info on boosting immune system like taking astragalus and eating a healthy diet which i do anyway.
I had the same concern pre-op my spinal surgery. Also lost sleep due to the concern. So I met with the head of surgery (I was working in a hospital at the time). Her tip was to drink one of those probiotic yogurt drinks every morning. Apparently they do boost the immune system. Also, avoid crowds.

Regarding the steroid injections, yes there is a 3 month wait between having an injection and being able to have surgery. Please speak up and advise the rheumatologist this is not a good plan. Or have the rheumatologist call your surgeon's office. Wait times are already too long here in the UK. You don't need the extra delay.

I have tried to find info on boosting immune system like taking astragalus and eating a healthy diet which i do anyway.
I had the same concern pre-op my spinal surgery. Also lost sleep due to the concern. So I met with the head of surgery (I was working in a hospital at the time). Her tip was to drink one of those probiotic yogurt drinks every morning. Apparently they do boost the immune system. Also, avoid crowds.

Regarding the steroid injections, yes there is a 3 month wait between having an injection and being able to have surgery. Please speak up and advise the rheumatologist this is not a good plan. Or have the rheumatologist call your surgeon's office. Wait times are already too long here in the UK. You don't need the extra delay.
Did you still have the surgery after having the injection? I repeatedly said to the rheumatologist that i have surgery in 4 weeks and he said it will not cause any problems but after reading stuff online it seems to differ. Most of it is to do with the joints being replaced rather than steroid injections in joints that aren't being replaced. Ive waited so long for this and im mentally prepared even if my suregein goes ahead il still be worried. Some reports say after the 4 weeks its ok like this one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-214515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-214515_Chrome.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 57
Im also already taking probiotcs, plenty of ccoonut yoghurt with probiotcs and coconut kefir drink. Also eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits vegetables and pastured meats and wild fish for protein. My knees feel so much better able to go for walks my last steroid lasted 13 months in the knees i thought sorting them out before surgery would be a good thing i just wanted them aspirated but the rheumatologist was so persistent on having the steroid in them i made him lower the dose he spread one dose over 2 knees. I do feel more pain free but at a cost of worrying about surgery now and the stress doesn't help my inflammatory arthritis. Can never win with this disease i

I repeatedly said to the rheumatologist that i have surgery in 4 weeks and he said it will not cause any problems but after reading stuff online it seems to differ.
Call your surgeon's office and discuss this. You are now saying you had a half dose of the steroid. Only your surgeon can make the decision to proceed. Best to get this identified now versus waiting until the day.

I repeatedly said to the rheumatologist that i have surgery in 4 weeks and he said it will not cause any problems but after reading stuff online it seems to differ.
Call your surgeon's office and discuss this. You are now saying you had a half dose of the steroid. Only your surgeon can make the decision to proceed. Best to get this identified now versus waiting until the day.
Well half a dose in each knee what would be equivalent to someone getting a full dose in one knee so i dont know if that makes any difference. I wall call tomorrow first thing i just wanted to see if anyone has had the same issues and had surgery with no problems from what i have read it seem infectuon goes up just under 1% but th studies are probably on more older patients as i am younger at 32 it might be different. I have a top surgeron already had my previous date postponed in may due to a loose tooth from a sports injury years ago which i had to get removed i dont want to lose my surgeon as he is a top surgeron who specifically went to see private and then he kindly put me on his nhs waiting list. All this is playing on my mind its hard to relax at the moment

Hi @Jad26 I am sorry that you are worrying and fretting over the steroid injections..

I was told that I couldn't get a hip replacement until after three months following my last hip injection, but have heard several of my friends commenting on getting an injection in their shoulder or other joints prior to their hip replacement. When I asked about it, they said their Dr. assured them that it only applied to the actual joint being replaced. The theory being that the injection itself could introduce harmful bacteria into the joint which isn't ideal if looking to have it replaced shortly.

It's a good idea to clarify this with your surgeon, however. There is time to get a note to him or some sort of message. It's best to be cautious and get this information directly from him. It's been a long wait but you want to have everything working together in your best interest.

Good luck and I wish you the best in finding the answer.

I have seen 4 weeks to 3 months.

The main concern is the fact that your immune system may be compromised which can affect your body's ability to fight off infection.

Following a single intra-articular steroid injection, serum cortisol is significantly suppressed for 1-4 weeks ... and in some cases can be much longer.

Back to, as mentioned by the others, you need to check with your surgeon now.

Hi @Jad26 I am sorry that you are worrying and fretting over the steroid injections..

I was told that I couldn't get a hip replacement until after three months following my last hip injection, but have heard several of my friends commenting on getting an injection in their shoulder or other joints prior to their hip replacement. When I asked about it, they said their Dr. assured them that it only applied to the actual joint being replaced. The theory being that the injection itself could introduce harmful bacteria into the joint which isn't ideal if looking to have it replaced shortly.

It's a good idea to clarify this with your surgeon, however. There is time to get a note to him or some sort of message. It's best to be cautious and get this information directly from him. It's been a long wait but you want to hav
I will try tomorrow hopefully i get a awnser this week and put me out of misery. All the studies are on joints that have been injected that are due to be replaced so i will have to wait and see what the surgeon says or his team.

I have seen 4 weeks to 3 months.

The main concern is the fact that your immune system may be compromised which can affect your body's ability to fight off infection.

Following a single intra-articular steroid injection, serum cortisol is significantly suppressed for 1-4 weeks ... and in some cases can be much longer.

Back to, as mentioned by the others, you need to check with your surgeon now.
It will be exactly 4 weeks from when i had the shot to surgery so i maybe ok i dont know. Im trying to boost my immune sysyem so its not compromised and affects healing but i suppose it all relys on what my surgeon thinks if i have to wait then its for the best but im so mentally prepared for the 2nd sept will be a super blow

I'm sorry you are worrying so. Surely someone on your surgeon's medical team can answer this for you.

Let us know what you find out..

Update: orthapedic department has got back to me after speaking with other consultants (my surgeon is currently on holiday) and they seem to think that its safe to go ahead with surgery as it will be 4 weeks from injection and it wasnt in my hips. Still waiting for official confirmation from my surgeon to say he wants to to ahead so if i dont hear anything in the next couple of weeks to say to push back a few more weeks it looks like its going ahead on the 2nd. I calmed down after stressing out before this news as i come to terms with having to wait as i know it will be best but so far its looking good for the 2nd

Glad no delay!
Another Double Hippy Pal:chuckmarch:

Glad no delay!
Another Double Hippy Pal:chuckmarch:
Im getting more nervous as the time is approaching very quickly. Any pre op tips and post op tips would be appreciated thank you

Work on your upper body & core strength if you can - you’ll need it to get thru the first week or so of two post op log legs.

Ice and elevate! (As in, make sure you are stocked up on ice packs etc and have a good way to *really* elevate to help w swelling)

Good luck!

@Jad26 Here are some articles to help you plan for your surgery:

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

Also feel free to read some of the bilateral threads over in the hip post op section. Those will give you some ideas of how others have managed this life changing surgery. The link to mine is in my signature though it is quite old.

Agree with cold_brew... upper body strength was very helpful and Ice will be your bestest friend.:ice:

Other thoughts are ...
Make sure walkways are clear (rugs and cords taped down)

Make sure you have some constipation meds on hand (stool softeners, laxatives)

I am short, so I had family members help put frequently used items in lower spots so I could get to them easier.

I balked a bit when told I would need a toilet riser:umm: but pretty much a necessity for early weeks.

Get that patience muscle toned...you might find, as I did, after the first few weeks...you will be more mobile than you might imagine but you need to edit yourself so you don't overdo.
Slow and steady makes this journey much easier and it definitely is worth the results!:egypdance:

Best Wishes for tomorrow!
Soon you'll be in recovery healing and on your way back to engaging in all that you love.
As you can see we have a few members on staff that experienced Bilateral THR's, in addition to other members currently active on the forum who are great at offering support. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. We're all here to help. See you on the bright side soon! :SUNsmile:
@Jad26

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks
Back