BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Bilateral Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by KHill, Feb 11, 2018.

1. KHill

KHill junior member

United States United States
    Good day everyone.

Has anyone had both hips replaced at the same time? If so, what was the recovery like? Would you recommend it? Also, was your surgeon open to doing it? Or did it take some convincing?

When the time comes, I'd really rather do both at the same time. Just want to get it over with.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @KHill We have plenty of members who have had BTHR. My colleague @Mojo333 had her hips done on May 1 last year and she is back to living life again. Not everyone is a candidate for this. But if your surgeon agrees that you are a good candidate I would go for it. One op and one recovery.

Go to the hip recovery area and look for the green Bilateral THRs label in front of the thread title - then click on the green label. You will get a list of all threads about BTHR recovery.

3. KHill

KHill junior member

oh ok thanks. I knew there had to be some bilateral replacements posts here, wasn't sure where to find them though

And yes, you're right. One surgery one recovery. I'd much rather that.

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @KHill. My surgeon was on board from the jump. It took quite a while to narrow down that all my problems were due to end stage degenerative osteoarthritis so he said hip replacement was in order. Naturally, I assumed one at a time, so I asked which was worse? He said flip a coin.
    I said well, what would you suggest. He said bilateral.
    He said I was a good candidate for bilateral. I was so shocked I have to admit I didn't really ask what that meant but I now take it that other than horrid hips, I was healthy...no other underlying medical issues...and my age may or may not have played into it. I was 53.
    Surgery went very well...scared silly and didn't do alot of prior research. Surgeon used anterior minimally invasive approach which was his preference and skill set.
    First two weeks, I thought I must've surely been out of mind for doing then BOTH AT ONCE. Pretty rough stuff, formal PT was a bust...miserable first attempts mainly because it was too much too soon. Hips get well by themselves if you let them.
    Fortunately, I had found Bonesmart just prior to my surgery. Things got better and better and that hip pain was gone from Day One!
    Lots of other stuff to deal with, but simply temporary.
    I had to return part-time to work at 5 weeks...not recommended, but took extra rest after each day was done to take care of myself.
    Now at 9 months out, I'm in better physical and MENTAL shape than I have been in a decade.
    Truly life changing surgery for me.
    Main thing is to have an OS that feels you are a good candidate and that you have faith in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. KHill

KHill junior member

Thanx so much Mojo for the details . That gives me some hope that its not impossible to have a good recovery after bilateral. I'm no surgeon but I do believe that would the best option for me. I'll make sure I discuss this at my appt this week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. newhip126

newhip126 member

@Mojo333
    @KHill

That’s a great, concise story. I’m going to your thread and read your whole story. I only had one hip done and am scheduled for the other next month, but I would have done a bilateral if my OS had given me that option. I’d rather hurt a lot for a short time than hurt less for longer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

I'm guessing it's because it's MY experience, but I was glad to be ONE and DONE.
    Definitely need help first weeks, but I was much more independent than I thought I would be after the first month.
    However you and the surgeon decide, getting rid of hip pain will change your outlook on life!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MammaT

MammaT supremo

It wasn’t brought up as option to me and I was in so much pain with left, I just wanted it out. I had been hoping to be several years out from second. Had I known it would be this soon, I would have investigated bilateral, just to be done. But each case is individual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. djklaugh

djklaugh post-grad

@KHill Welcome to BoneSmart :) This really is the best place to get accurate information and wonderful support

I had bilateral hip replacement 6 years ago ... and it was my surgeon who recommended it! His reasons were: 1- both hips were very damaged from arthritis and both did need replacing (though I experienced right one being more painful and dysfunctional than the left one); 2- he felt doing both at once was actually less risky for me than doing 2 surgeries (I was 64yo at the time and in generally good health) - one surgical session, one course of anesthesia, one hospital stay; 3- he said if he did one at a time it would take longer for me to resume a normal gait as I'd be still limping on bad leg between the surgeries; 4- he'd be better able to make sure both legs were the same length and avoid any possible leg length differential problems (that does occur some times). And my own reasons were - one nervous waiting period going up to surgery rather than 2, one recuperation period rather than 2, one period of worry/stressing/ for friends and family.

The post op time was awkward for about 6 weeks as my surgeon insisted on hip precautions (certain movements & positions of legs that were no-nos for that time- some surgeons impose these, others do not). But it was doable - I had my cousin with me for about a week after surgery and was very glad of her company and assistance but after she left I was pretty much on my own during the day. Had a housemate (renter) who was very helpful but he worked during the day and was only home at night.

I did do physical therapy for several months after BTHR as my muscles in legs and hips were seriously out of shape and needed help regaining strength, flexibility and range of motion. But hips themselves generally do not need PT other than walking.

As suggested above do read some of the bilateral threads! Link to mine is in my signature (it has not been updated recently as there's not much to say - just living life and having fun with 2 pain free hips)

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @KHill
    You have two great stories in Mojo333 and djklaugh up above.
    Also check out @gaulsuerou who had bi-lateral with a great recovery.
    Wishing you the best as you research options and move forward.
    A great week to you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gretel

Gretel graduate

Australia Australia
    I had bilateral replacements last October. The surgeon asked me to choose which to do first and it was hard to pick! He said there would only be six to twelve weeks between ops and I didn’t much like the thought of that. I’m glad I had both done at once. I’m still struggling a bit with walking much distance but I think I’d still have trouble if I’d had separate ops. I’m so glad to be sleeping again rather than the nights of pain and my walking is improving slowly. The first week post op was the worst.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Toddlermom

Toddlermom senior

I originally wanted bilateral, but my OS wouldn't do it. Said recovery on a second hip is easier when you have 1 stable one. Once I had the first THR, I got almost two years before it was time to return. Lots of folks do them a few weeks apart too!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Mojo333

Don't forget @Irish Joe .
    He is another bilateral hippy.
    Toddlermom is right. You want your surgeon to be comfortable with your individual situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. KHill

KHill junior member

Thanks everyone. Lot's of great success stories. Hopefully i'll be contributing mine very soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2