Bilateral THR Bilateral hip replacement, anterior

I was told I could drive at 4wks since I was off narcotics for a while and if I could move leg easily and quickly for breaking as needed. With a posterior I had 90 degree restrictions and with my car I did not feel I could sit and see well enough or break quickly if needed ( live in the country and deer are rampant) till 6wks plus a few days. I felt that with such an investment in myself I did not want to push the envelope but practiced patience some more.

It is great that you have transportation available with planning.

I was told I could drive at 4wks since I was off narcotics for a while and if I could move leg easily and quickly for breaking as needed. With a posterior I had 90 degree restrictions and with my car I did not feel I could sit and see well enough or break quickly if needed ( live in the country and deer are rampant) till 6wks plus a few days. I felt that with such an investment in myself I did not want to push the envelope but practiced patience some more.

It is great that you have transportation available with planning.
Ahhh, PATIENCE....I am impatient already and I am 2 months away from surgery. You were so smart to
take your time getting back into your car to drive.

I've had both hips replaced but over 1 1/2 years apart. That's great that your county has a transportation option, most do now and at an affordable cost. $20 to go to Asheville and back is very reasonable considering the roads and distance. Doing 1 hip at a time I could drive at 2-3 weeks but I'm sure bilateral is different. The lifting of your leg to work the brake is the big factor along with comfort. With my right it was very uncomfortable to sit in the car seat. Just driving a few miles to town was very uncomfortable.
I heat with wood but have a gas furnace for more temperate days. Been feeding the stove steadily for the last few days.
Yes, so glad to find out about the transportation van. I really don't like asking people to do me favors unless I have to so this is a great alternative.
How are your hips now? I hope you are happy with the results.
Toren

pickme4-960x675.jpg

Oh, please ask me!!!:) :-) (:
I'm so very glad I had my hips replaced. No more hip pain and after working out all the minor ( in comparison) recovery niggles...double hippy happy. :happydance:

My hips had no where to go but up by doing a THR. The left is almost 2 years and I know it's had a THR at times but there is no joint pain which was the goal. The right is still in recovery mode so it's still weak and has it's pains but no joint pain. Overall it's great not to have the joint aches that would keep me awake or make me take OTC pain relief. I can also do a lot with no pain and increased ROM. I rode my lawnmower yesterday and before doing my left that was very painful just to sit on it keeping my legs apart.
So yes I'm happy with the results.

pickme4-960x675.jpg

Oh, please ask me!!!:) :-) (:
I'm so very glad I had my hips replaced. No more hip pain and after working out all the minor ( in comparison) recovery niggles...double hippy happy. :happydance:
Thank you!! I am so happy to hear it.....and happy for you!!!

@Rosalita It's been 8 years since my BTHR and my hips are terrific! I walk, run (occasionally), stoop, bend, squat, pick things up, swim, dance. And have been known to skip, hop, do a sort of chorus line high kick routine with some school friend :dancy: It took me a while to get to the place I could do all those things but well worth the time and effort!

@Rosalita It's been 8 years since my BTHR and my hips are terrific! I walk, run (occasionally), stoop, bend, squat, pick things up, swim, dance. And have been known to skip, hop, do a sort of chorus line high kick routine with some school friend :dancy: It took me a while to get to the place I could do all those things but well worth the time and effort!
So happy to hear of your success! That is encouraging. I can't wait to begin the road to recovery.

My hips had no where to go but up by doing a THR. The left is almost 2 years and I know it's had a THR at times but there is no joint pain which was the goal. The right is still in recovery mode so it's still weak and has it's pains but no joint pain. Overall it's great not to have the joint aches that would keep me awake or make me take OTC pain relief. I can also do a lot with no pain and increased ROM. I rode my lawnmower yesterday and before doing my left that was very painful just to sit on it keeping my legs apart.
So yes I'm happy with the results.
Thanks for your review of your hip replacement success. Are you riding that lawnmower in the snow?:)

I'm in TN, it hasn't snowed here at all this year. I was actually using the mower to clear some leaves. I learned from my last THR a few things about yard work and recovery. Using tools like a rake or even a leaf blower puts a lot of stress on the muscles in your legs. During the first months of recovery it's not what you want to do. I found the 2 things that really hurt me last time was a weedeater and a ladder.

I'm in TN, it hasn't snowed here at all this year. I was actually using the mower to clear some leaves. I learned from my last THR a few things about yard work and recovery. Using tools like a rake or even a leaf blower puts a lot of stress on the muscles in your legs. During the first months of recovery it's not what you want to do. I found the 2 things that really hurt me last time was a weedeater and a ladder.
I am in Bakersville, NC , not far from you. We have not had snow either. I have been worrying about how long it will take before I can drive my tractor and bushhog as that is how I "mow" my "lawn". Bilateral hip replacement on March 18th. I guess I better just get over having my grass grow up like a field, huh?

I can't tell you anything about bi-lateral. With one at a time 2 mos. was about the time for riding the tractor. I mow with a finish mower and bushhog and mowing was so much more comfortable after my first THR. I couldn't use the ride on lawnmower at all pre-op as it hurt too much to sit on it. I could ride the tractor since I could move my legs around enough to get somewhat comfortable, but I usually suffered afterwards. When getting on and off of the tractor now I am very deliberate with my movements. Don't want to slip off and get hurt.

Well since you have a bush hog, it will take it down without a problem.
1580935080028.png

I can't tell you anything about bi-lateral. With one at a time 2 mos. was about the time for riding the tractor. I mow with a finish mower and bushhog and mowing was so much more comfortable after my first THR. I couldn't use the ride on lawnmower at all pre-op as it hurt too much to sit on it. I could ride the tractor since I could move my legs around enough to get somewhat comfortable, but I usually suffered afterwards. When getting on and off of the tractor now I am very deliberate with my movements. Don't want to slip off and get hurt.
I can ride my tractor now but with great difficulty. For some reason, pulling on the brake really kills my left hip. The only thing I normally need the tractor for in the winter anyway is snow removal which luckily has not been an issue this year, so far.
I think I can stay off it for 2 months post op....that would bring me to May 18th:)

:wave:I think you should plan on some help and try not to set firm dates for when you will be able to take up the tractor.
At two months out, there was alot I COULD do, but 4 months out was twice as much healing time and the safest point for me to take up activities that might stress my new hips.
At 2 1/2 years out, I have ( :fingersx:) zero issues and live a very active life, reclaimed by this amazing medical technology.
The patience required to let this heal up right was hard to come by, but well worth the end results.

:wave: @Rosalita
Just popping by to see how preparations are going and hoping you are doing well (as can be, with bad hips)
I know as time crept closer to my surgery, I got nervous and I wish I had a crystal ball so that I could see how amazing BTHR would turn out to be.

So grateful to have my life back.:happydance:

Hope you have a great weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom