Bilateral THR Bilateral hip replacement, anterior

Rosalita

Country
United States United States
Hi. New to this forum. I am trying to find out peoples experiences with having both hips replaced at the same time. I am not sure what to do. Surgeon has suggested this. He does the anterior approach. I am scheduled for March 18, 2020. Pretty nervous about doing two at the same time, on the other hand, would like to get it all over at once!

:welome: to BoneSmart! We have some reading material to leave here for you. I hope you find it as helpful as I did when I first found this site and was anxiously making my decisions. We have a few members who have opted for the bilateral THR and they did very well.
One is our Senior Forum Advisor @Mojo333 and I'm sure she can give you some helpful points to consider. I am leaving you the hip guidelines below..good luck in making your decision. Whether you do them separately or together, you are on your way to getting your arthritic pain addressed so you can enjoy activities again!

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Last edited:
Hi @Rosalita
So happy you found the forum.
:) :-) (:
Finding out you need both hips replaced is quite the revelation, isn't it?
I believe I said I was mortified.:unsure:

Usually surgeons take many factors into account in deciding if you are a good candidate...overall health and fitness and motivation for recovery are among these.

The advantages of bilateral total hip replacement can include one trip to the operating room instead of two, one anesthetic and therefore one hospitalization. Patients who are employed may find that they need less time off from work overall than if they were to recover from two hip replacements on two different occasions. Often recovering from one replacement with one equally bad hip can be difficult.

Lots of recovering "Both at Once" folks on the forum now so hopefully you can see how folks are progressing.
One of our members @jwadds has left a recent update, and is loving her new hips.
I also did very well and am also back to my hip pain free life.
This forum was invaluable to me so you are definitely in the right place for getting the scoop from those who know!!:friends:

Thank you both for responding so quickly. I will definitely read the info in the links you sent, Cricket Hip! It is nice to know that there are other people out there who have gone through this. Thank you for your encouraging words Mojo33. It sounds like you are happy with having had both done at once.
I am very active and patience is not one of my strong points. It sounds like I will get an opportunity to learn patience with 2 hip replacements at once:spin:

@Rosalita Absolutely! It was our pleasure. I have always wished that I had opted for both at once, even though the Surgeon didn't think right hip was ready yet. One and done sounds good to me!

Thanks again for the support. I have been reading Mojo 33 's posts just postbilateral surgery. A little scary, but honesty so appreciated. My right hip isn't so bad, it is the left one that is really painful Are you going to get the right one done?

Oh, I already did! I am almost 5 months post op. If you look at the bottom of my reply here you will find the links to my recovery threads. Many of the member's have theirs linked to their signature so it makes it easy to look them up.
Your first couple of weeks will be the most difficult, then things begin to get better.

We will be getting a signature placed for you too. :) Should we post it as Bi lateral THR?

I have been reading Mojo 33 's posts just postbilateral surgery.
Keep reading...first days are a bit rough and I was an awful wimp because I didn't know what to expect.
Lots of "is this normal?!" pleas for reassurance. More anxious than unbearable.
If you do keep reading my story...you will see things get good pretty quickly.

@Rosalita It sure is a shock to be told you need both hip joints replaced, isn't it? :oyvey: I was 64yo when I saw my surgeon for the first time. I went in thinking I might have to whine and beg :tantrum: just to get one replaced but he strolled into the exam room and opened our session by saying "I've reviewed your xrays and medical records and the only thing I can offer is hip replacement. And I'd recommend doing both at once!" Totally floored me! :shocked: 6 months later I went into the OR and had both replaced and I am VERY glad that I did that! That was almost 8 years ago and still I'm delighted with pain free hips! :happydance::egypdance::yes!: I rarely even think of having artificial joints ..... until I log in here. I could not have gotten through the experience nearly as well without BoneSmart!!!

If you go over to the recovery side (as I see you've looked at Mojo333's thread) click on the green Bilateral tag and you'll get a list of all the bilateral threads here.. There are quite a few of us :) The link to mine is in my signature though it is old and has not been updated in a long time. Feel free to read any/all of the threads ... and we all love answering questions.

Best wishes to you on this amazing and life changing journey called hip replacement - bilateral!

Thanks all for your support. I waffle back and forth daily about whether to do both hips at the same time. I can't decide, but I have time. Meet with surgeon on December 12th. He has already said (through conversation with his surgical nurse) that both need doing and that he would do them both at the same time. The left hip is SO much worse than the right one that some days I think I should just get that one done. Then other days I am afraid that the added stress on the "good" hip from the recovery will wear it out much faster. Ugg. I know, I am the only one who can make this decision but all your experience is so helpful.

@Rosalita If your surgeon has suggested BTHR then you are a good candidate for this op. If I had been in your shoes I would have jumped at the chance to have both done. So nice when you don't have to think about facing another THR.

Hi @Rosalita, I had bilateral THRs last May and had a very positive experience. The first 3 weeks was pretty rough, I ain’t gonna lie, but by week 5 I was totally on the mend. You just have to prepare yourself mentally that it’s going to get worse before it gets better. But I think that would be the case if you had just 1 done too.
I didn’t have a choice as both my hips were end stage bone on bone. I was weeks away from being in a wheelchair and I did not want to live like that. Going bilateral gave me my life back. It’s been 7 months and I am 95%, just a bit of stiffness and weakness bending down, but I haven’t felt this good in 10 years.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Hi jI wadds, thanks for sharing your experience. I have for some reason been unable to log onto this site. Seems to be back working now. I am so glad to hear how well you are doing. I was wondering if you went to rehab or straight home after hospital. I live alone in remote area so I think I will go to rehab.
My surgery is March 18th. I can't wait to get it over with.

@Rosalita Do you have anyone who could come stay with you for a while - a bit before, during and after your surgery? I had my cousin with me and that was a great help. I did have a house mate too though he worked during the day. Once cousin went home (about a week after my BTHR) I was alone during the day and did just fine by myself. I did ask about rehab but my insurance said "NO - you are not sick enough to need rehab after having both hips replaced at the same time" :rotfl:

With some planning and getting agreed upon help (do errands, check in with you every day, come by to help with any chores you can't do your self, etc) from friends, neighbors, any relatives near by, you could probably do fine on your own. Though if rehab is an option for you make sure (ask surgeon and/or his assistant or nurse) that the rehab place really is rehab not just a nursing home that does nursing care and meals.

Hi Deb, Thanks for your input. I really do not have anyone who can stay with me. I live in a remote mountain area where I would have trouble getting PT, etc., so I probably will have to go to rehab. I am glad for your tip, though, about choosing a rehab that will actually do PT and not just feed me!

My had bilateral surgery and she lives alone ... So she went to rehab for about ten days ... They "trained" her really well by the time she was released. She knew exactly how to climb into bed, climb out of bed, how to use the walker and the cane in the best way ... how to stand ... how to use the bathroom ... how to get up from the toilet ... little things that actually add up and can be frightening if you stress over them. Well my sister had all these moves choreographed. It was impressive.

And if there is a rehab facility that simply has a great reputation for being warm and friendly, don't discount that. A lot of the time after surgery is when we're scared ... and unsure. Being around kind people ... whether they do special pt or not ... really helps ... my sister's mood was fantastic, and yes, she loved the workers at her rehab center. When I came to get her (I live three hours away) on her day of discharge, she left her room but couldn't get on the elevator because she was writing cards and notes to this worker and that one, thanking her. Felt like I waited half an hour for her to complete all the notes.

And yes, she had bilateral, as you are considering. Can't tell if you have made up your mind. I say go for bilateral and get it over with. But of course, it's up to you. I was so glad my sister got bilateral because both of her hips were in bad shape ... and she's a worrier ... and I was afraid that she'd have one hip rehabbing with the other hurting ... and then put off surgery on the second hip ... creating a mess. Her surgeon suggested bilateral, and she went for it. I was so proud of her, I told her. She was proud of herself as well.

I was wondering if you went to rehab or straight home after hospital.
Happy New Year @Rosalita ... sorry for the delay in replying, Christmas is such a busy season.
I was fortunate that I was able to stay in the hospital for 8 nights. They knew I was going home alone so they didn't let me go until I could get up to the bathroom and in and out of bed by myself and hit some milestones in physio. My daughter did stay with me for the first 2 days at home but she had to get back to work.
I managed quite well on my own. My daughter did come over to take out the garbage, change my sheets, and do some cleaning for the first 3 weeks home. I also had wonderful friends that brought food, but I had also stocked my freezer with homemade soup and stews so I really was fine. Also did my grocery shopping online and had it delivered. That's a wonderful service which I continued well after I could get to the store as it's so convenient.

Thank you so much for your response. It is so helpful to hear your experience as there are not that many bilateral hip replacement people. I am guessing that rehab will be the best place for me for maybe a week after hospital which I have been told will be 2-3 nights.
I will plan to get a lot of food prepared/frozen, etc ahead of time. That is a great suggestion.
I am going to put my big dog in boarding kennel because he is very rambunctious. Afraid his exuberance will knock me over. Online food delivery. Wow. Not sure it exists here in the remote parts of Blue Ridge mtns, NC, Will check it out.

I don't think you'll find Grubhub or Uber in your area, I lived on that side of the mountain years back now live on the TN side. Just a tip on rehab when you start walking the best bet is to find flat ground which isn't easy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom