• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Bilateral THR Bilateral hip replacement, anterior

Rosalita

Country
United States United States
Hi. New to this forum. I am trying to find out peoples experiences with having both hips replaced at the same time. I am not sure what to do. Surgeon has suggested this. He does the anterior approach. I am scheduled for March 18, 2020. Pretty nervous about doing two at the same time, on the other hand, would like to get it all over at once!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:welome: to BoneSmart! We have some reading material to leave here for you. I hope you find it as helpful as I did when I first found this site and was anxiously making my decisions. We have a few members who have opted for the bilateral THR and they did very well.
One is our Senior Forum Advisor @Mojo333 and I'm sure she can give you some helpful points to consider. I am leaving you the hip guidelines below..good luck in making your decision. Whether you do them separately or together, you are on your way to getting your arthritic pain addressed so you can enjoy activities again!

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Rosalita
So happy you found the forum.
:) :-) (:
Finding out you need both hips replaced is quite the revelation, isn't it?
I believe I said I was mortified.:unsure:

Usually surgeons take many factors into account in deciding if you are a good candidate...overall health and fitness and motivation for recovery are among these.

The advantages of bilateral total hip replacement can include one trip to the operating room instead of two, one anesthetic and therefore one hospitalization. Patients who are employed may find that they need less time off from work overall than if they were to recover from two hip replacements on two different occasions. Often recovering from one replacement with one equally bad hip can be difficult.

Lots of recovering "Both at Once" folks on the forum now so hopefully you can see how folks are progressing.
One of our members @jwadds has left a recent update, and is loving her new hips.
I also did very well and am also back to my hip pain free life.
This forum was invaluable to me so you are definitely in the right place for getting the scoop from those who know!!:friends:

OP
OP
R

Rosalita

Country
Thank you both for responding so quickly. I will definitely read the info in the links you sent, Cricket Hip! It is nice to know that there are other people out there who have gone through this. Thank you for your encouraging words Mojo33. It sounds like you are happy with having had both done at once.
I am very active and patience is not one of my strong points. It sounds like I will get an opportunity to learn patience with 2 hip replacements at once:spin:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Rosalita Absolutely! It was our pleasure. I have always wished that I had opted for both at once, even though the Surgeon didn't think right hip was ready yet. One and done sounds good to me!

OP
OP
R

Rosalita

Country
Thanks again for the support. I have been reading Mojo 33 's posts just postbilateral surgery. A little scary, but honesty so appreciated. My right hip isn't so bad, it is the left one that is really painful Are you going to get the right one done?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Oh, I already did! I am almost 5 months post op. If you look at the bottom of my reply here you will find the links to my recovery threads. Many of the member's have theirs linked to their signature so it makes it easy to look them up.
Your first couple of weeks will be the most difficult, then things begin to get better.

We will be getting a signature placed for you too. :) Should we post it as Bi lateral THR?

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I have been reading Mojo 33 's posts just postbilateral surgery.
Keep reading...first days are a bit rough and I was an awful wimp because I didn't know what to expect.
Lots of "is this normal?!" pleas for reassurance. More anxious than unbearable.
If you do keep reading my story...you will see things get good pretty quickly.

djklaugh

post-grad
Country
@Rosalita It sure is a shock to be told you need both hip joints replaced, isn't it? :oyvey: I was 64yo when I saw my surgeon for the first time. I went in thinking I might have to whine and beg :tantrum: just to get one replaced but he strolled into the exam room and opened our session by saying "I've reviewed your xrays and medical records and the only thing I can offer is hip replacement. And I'd recommend doing both at once!" Totally floored me! :shocked: 6 months later I went into the OR and had both replaced and I am VERY glad that I did that! That was almost 8 years ago and still I'm delighted with pain free hips! :happydance::egypdance::yes!: I rarely even think of having artificial joints ..... until I log in here. I could not have gotten through the experience nearly as well without BoneSmart!!!

If you go over to the recovery side (as I see you've looked at Mojo333's thread) click on the green Bilateral tag and you'll get a list of all the bilateral threads here.. There are quite a few of us :) The link to mine is in my signature though it is old and has not been updated in a long time. Feel free to read any/all of the threads ... and we all love answering questions.

Best wishes to you on this amazing and life changing journey called hip replacement - bilateral!

OP
OP
R

Rosalita

Country
Thanks all for your support. I waffle back and forth daily about whether to do both hips at the same time. I can't decide, but I have time. Meet with surgeon on December 12th. He has already said (through conversation with his surgical nurse) that both need doing and that he would do them both at the same time. The left hip is SO much worse than the right one that some days I think I should just get that one done. Then other days I am afraid that the added stress on the "good" hip from the recovery will wear it out much faster. Ugg. I know, I am the only one who can make this decision but all your experience is so helpful.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Rosalita If your surgeon has suggested BTHR then you are a good candidate for this op. If I had been in your shoes I would have jumped at the chance to have both done. So nice when you don't have to think about facing another THR.

jwadds

Country
Canada Canada
Hi @Rosalita, I had bilateral THRs last May and had a very positive experience. The first 3 weeks was pretty rough, I ain’t gonna lie, but by week 5 I was totally on the mend. You just have to prepare yourself mentally that it’s going to get worse before it gets better. But I think that would be the case if you had just 1 done too.
I didn’t have a choice as both my hips were end stage bone on bone. I was weeks away from being in a wheelchair and I did not want to live like that. Going bilateral gave me my life back. It’s been 7 months and I am 95%, just a bit of stiffness and weakness bending down, but I haven’t felt this good in 10 years.

Hope you have a good weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LIFELADY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom