THR Bilateral changed to Single

Thank you @Mojo333 .... just to clarify, the Dr. who said "don't worry...." was a Dr. they connected me to that works in Pre-op Testing. Also, I forgot to mention that the day after this culture was taken, I came down with a cold. I was wondering if that caused my positive MSSA result?

@Lea61 Please don't worry about your test results. They will just take all the precautions on your op day to make sure all this is controlled.

Not long now!

Gosh, @Lea61, it's always something, isn't it? I, too, tested positive for staph, although not the MRSA variety and was totally freaked out before surgery. But the nurse assured me that this is very common, lots of folks are carriers (although I've never had a staph infection) and they'd prescribe something for it. I had to get some ointment which I used 5 to 7 days in advance of surgery. I just put a small dab in each nostril and then squeezed my nostrils together. It felt sort of nasty for a few minutes, like I had a stuffed up nose, but it wasn't that bad. I wouldn't worry about it (yes, I know--fat chance!) but I'm betting that this shouldn't be a huge concern for you although I'm certainly no medical expert. Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I am sure you're nervous but I am hoping that this time it will all go so smoothly and you'll be back on the full recovery path quite soon. Cheers to you, and try to have a good, relaxing weekend and days leading up to surgery.

:wave:Hi @Barbaraj .... thanks for sharing your experience. The culture I came up positive to was also not MRSA (it was MSSA). I wasn't told to do anything prior to surgery, but I have read that, as well as some people having treatment on the day of surgery either with the nasal ointment or antibiotics given intravenously. I am going to call my surgeon on Monday and see what his protocol is for this. I was definitely surprised to see the result and felt like "here I go again......"! As if normal (?) worry and anxiety to surgery isn't enough, I need something else to worry about (and another dislocation is never far from my mind)! :unsure: So, I'm keeping myself busy until I speak to Dr. on Monday. Thanks for checking in. And, how are you doing? Since I had gone back to work, I really haven't been on the site much to catch up. I hope all is well with you and your hip is treating you kindly....:yay:

Hi Lea,
I'd really try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. I think you're wise in contacting your doctor on Monday for reassurance. I have read of others dealing with the same and do remember BarbaraJ going through this as she mentioned above.

I was never tested but part of my OS's pre-op protocol was for me to swab the inside of my nose with Mupirocin twice daily, for 5 days prior to surgery. My understanding is it's done as a precautionary measure just as showering with the Hibiclens (topical antiseptic) the evening before and morning of surgery. I was also instructed to sleep on clean sheets the night before surgery. They're all different though in what they advise.

Let us know what you hear on Monday. Tuesday will be here in a blink. Then you'll be on the road to recovery. We'll be here cheering you on all the way.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort as you await the 5th.
@Lea61

Wow, one more day before surgery, @Lea61! I hope you had a good weekend and that today you'll do whatever you can to relax and ready yourself for Big Day tomorrow. I hope your surgeon is able to reassure you today that the positive result for staph is really no big deal and put your mind at ease. I also hope you have an early morning check in at the hospital tomorrow so you don't have to spend part of the day worrying about it. If it's early enough, you'll still be half asleep by the time you get there, get put back to sleep quickly and then it will be over and done! Be good to yourself today, whatever makes you feel as relaxed and cheerful as you can. Maybe chocolate with your dinner tonight? Or a glass of wine? You deserve to go into this surgery as calmly and relaxed as you can. Yup, that's a tall order but do what you can to soothe those jitters and believe that this surgery will go so much more smoothly than last time. Lots of family and friends will be rooting for you! Take care.

Hi Lea,
Assuming you're still on for tomorrow. Stopping by to wish you all the best.
We'll look forward to your first update...once you feel like posting.
Sending a hug your way. :friends:
@Lea61

Last edited:
:hi: Will be sending all my best in the morning.
See you on the healing side...last one and done!:loveshwr:

@Layla @Mojo333 @Barbaraj @Mersada :thankyou:for all your well wishes.
It is 1am and I am not able to sleep.:bored: Of course I'm feeling hungry and thirsty and can't do anything about either one LoL ! Surgery is scheduled for 11am, so I need to be there by 9am. We plan on leaving at 6:30 which should give us enough time since we'll be in the middle of rush hour traffic into the city. I'll let you know how it all goes.....:fingersx:

Hi there :hi:
Thinking of you this morning...wishing you comfort.
Double hippy Lea on the way! :happydance:
@Lea61

I think that only your surgeon can answer this.

@Josephine ... Thank You for your response. From what I have learned from reading others on the forum, surgeons seemed to have their own protocols concerning treatment. I was given a nose swab before surgery (Benadine?) and was given intravenous cefazolin in OR and still getting it today.

Hip hip Hooray!
:happyfeet: So happy it's done!
Double hippy at last...hugs Lea.
Hope they have you as comfortable as possible, friend.

Hi there :hi:
Thinking of you this morning...wishing you comfort.
Double hippy Lea on the way! :happydance:
@Lea61

@Layla @mojo. Hi.... so far so good. I have some (normal) discomfort but staying ahead of it with tramadol oxy and Tylenol on schedule. Pain never seems to go away completely but is tolerable. I was able to walk to the bathroom yesterday with a walker and also got into and out of bed unaided (was not able to do that after the prior two surgeries... what a little experience can do LoL) . I think I slept less than a total of 2hrs last night. Although I am feeling very tired, I am unable to sleep. I thought the pain meds would help but so far no. Maybe I’ll be able to nap this afternoon.
Thank you again for all you well wishes and support.

This is the tough part, for sure.
But you sound well.
Rest all you can when you can.
We will be sending good healing vibes your way.:console2:

Oh, @Lea61, it is DONE and even though it sounds like you're absolutely exhausted (on less than 2 hours of sleep, I think anyone would be!) you can breath a sigh of relief that you've come through it and you're still standing (well, at least enough to totter with your walker to the bathroom!) Sorry to read that the pain medications aren't controlling the pain completely, or allowing you to sleep. Did you mention this to your nurses? Maybe your dosages aren't correct? I think I was lucky that the pain medications I received both controlled pain very well, and certainly allowed me to sleep well. But hang in there--you're going to get through this. I hope you are able to go home soon, if that's what you want, as I found my own home a much more pleasant place to recover. You're a double hippy now, and once things sort a bit, I'm betting you'll be moving ahead on the recovery path with a positive attitude. You had such a rough time for hip #1, that you absolutely deserve a much easier recovery with your FINAL hip #2. Hope you're feeling better soon--and hurray for getting this over and done!

Last edited:
Hi Lea, it's nice to see your update.
Thankfully your meds are keeping your pain at a tolerable level. I'm sorry you're tired and unable to sleep.
Hopefully you can sneak in a nap or two this afternoon. It's difficult to sleep in the hospital with all the noise and distractions of nurses coming and going. You'll be able to catch up once you're in the comfort of your own home.
I hope the rest of your day is peaceful and relaxing.
Hugs to you.
@Lea61

Just to say :hi: and send summed healing vibes your way before I head out for my Friday.
Thank goodness..there have been some "interesting" characters I have had to contend with this week. :umm:
I remember very well these early days:unsure:
Healing hugs and a flower for you :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie