Bilateral TKR Bikinglynn's Recovery Thread

It will be 10 weeks for me on Wednesday. Things have improved quite a bit over the past week or so.

Both knees are now able to straighten all the way. I credit careful walking with lengthened strides. It feels so different when I stand with my knees straight. I couldn't do that before the surgery.

I'm now able to walk 2 miles without feeling like I've overdone it. I ice and elevate my knees afterward, since that really helps prevent the evening stiffness.

Sleep is much better. I am able to go to sleep on my side. I wake up in the night, switch to my back with a pillow under my legs, and finish out the night.

Sheltering at home through the coronavirus (I'm in Illinois) has contributed to a regular routine of rest and exercise. I don't go out and get too tired, since that is not an option. But, I sure look forward to getting that opportunity again.

I just want those of you who are in the very early stages to take heart. I am so glad I had this done.

OH also gets cold easily post op. His knee can be fiercely hot and his hands and feet are like ice cubes

12 weeks today. I had a little backset after my 10 week posting. I think I may have hurt my left knee while trying to sleep on my side, who knows? It hurt so bad, it felt like it did right after surgery. After 5 days, the pain settled down, and I could bend it again.

I started back on Celebrex a few nights ago, with my doctor's permission. That has helped a lot. I was hurting in my feet, neck, shoulders, etc., and they now feel better. I think it also helped with the inflammation in my knees. I know they feel looser, and I'm more comfortable walking than I was.

I'm back to walking two to three miles per day, and feel like I could go farther. The weather is nice and I'm missing my bicycle. Maybe I should break down and order a trainer for my bike, so I can start getting in shape. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced trainer? I've never used one.

It was such a beautiful day today, I couldn't wait. I got my bike out and rode up and down the street around my house. My knees were stiff, but loosened up after a few minutes. I felt like I could ride longer, but decided to be cautious and stop. Woo hoo!

Yay on your bike ride. You've had a good start. You were smart to stop after a little bit. I hope your knee behaves OK. If so, you can do it again.

How exciting is that!?! I can hardly wait for that day for me! It’s beautiful weather here as well & I am 7 houses down from the entrance to hundreds of miles of bike trails, many along the river. I will have to buy a new bike tho so my day is awhile off. Good for you for stopping before you overdid it!

We had to put my dad in a memory care nursing home 2 days ago. He's 91 and my very healthy mother is 90. I have been at my mom's house talking to her, making phone calls, and searching financial files for insurance, Medicare, Medicaid information, which meant several days of sitting. Because of the coronavirus, we have not been in the facility and cannot visit him. He doesn't understand what has happened, which is heartbreaking.

I have not been taking my daily walks through this. This experience has made it clear that I have to keep walking. The stiffness has made it harder to get up and down and my knees and mood just don't feel the same without my walks. Plus, I've gained 2 pounds in 2 days. Stress eating!

So, taking my walks has to be a priority for me, not treated as something I do if convenient. I'm suited up and heading out the door to get my walk in before I go to my mother's house today.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of your healing. Walking is an excellent exercise for a healing knee. These things like to move and not sit still. I think putting your walks first is the best thing for your knee and your mood. :console2:

I’m so sorry to hear of your parents’ situation. Stress can also make your knee bother you more. :console2:Hopefully the walks you love will help you de-stress.

4-month update. I now walk an average of 10,000 pleasurable steps a day. I have a beautiful area to walk in and my knees have no pain. I have a pair of good trail shoes and am convinced they help a lot. My sneakers are old and broken down and offer no stability at all. I'll be glad when the stores open up again, so I can go shopping for new sneakers.

I sleep on my back comfortably. No pillows under my legs are usually needed, unless I wake up with some aches.

Stairs are getting easier to ascend and descend. There are outside steps on my daily walk that give good practice. I'm slow, but moving more and more toward normal.

The biggest problems I have are related to inaction. It is uncomfortable to stand still for a while; I have to keep walking in place or pacing back and forth. I get stiff after sitting for long, and it takes a bit of movement to loosen up again. My right leg has a position while driving that causes some pain down my thigh. I assume it's an IT band issue. It feels like a nerve has pressure on it. I use my cruise control as much as possible, so I can shift my leg's position.

Those are the highlights. I wish I could have peeked into my future when I was 2 weeks post-op. This surgery has been such a gift.

Good to hear your update. I'm basically at the same place you are and my surgery was on Jan. 21, 2020. Walking is getting better every day and I am feeling much more stable and sure footed. Standing in one place is still a little bit of an issue, just like you said. I guess we are just where we should be. I, too, am happy with my decision to have the surgery. I feel I'm already better than I was before.

Yep. My surgery was Jan. 27th and I am at the same place. No pain, just occasionally some stiffness and soreness after a long time sitting. Standing is problematic after a few minutes. I can go down stairs finally with just a tad of tweaks— that was my last big challenge, as there are a lot of steps in my house. I can hike over three miles with no pain at all. How far we have come!!
I can relate to your stress with your dad. My sister is 74 and in a dementia unit and I am her only caretaker and her legal guardian and I cannot visit her. Walking is our saving grace and isn’t it wonderful to be able to do that again!

Happy Birthday to my knees! One year ago today, I got a new lease on life. If I had known how I would feel now, I would have been a lot more excited and a lot less scared before the surgery.

2020 was a horrible year, but the one bright spot was getting my new knees. I stand and walk with no pain. I'll repeat, I stand and walk with no pain!!!

I do have stiffness, which is probably because I am lazy about stretching and loosening exercises. However, the stiffness does not affect my daily activities.
So, for those of you who are in those terrible early weeks post-op, take heart. The best is yet to come. Here's to a better year!

Pain free, that is awesome!

Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Hey @bikinglynn
What a great post! It gives encouragement to those of us who are either scared and waiting for a date (me)! or in the early weeks of recovery. So pleased for you, carry on enjoying those knees!

@bikinglynn Thanks for sharing your story. This gives me hope that when the day comes that I have BTKR I will be pain free and feel "normal" again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom