Bilateral TKR Bikinglynn's Recovery Thread

I had PT yesterday with a different therapist. She was a pusher. I told her how I felt about it, but she was pleasantly persistent. She kept telling me to try a little harder and hold it a little longer. When she measured my ROM, she said I should go as far as I could, then she would push a little. I questioned how valid that number would be if she was pushing. She said to tell her when to stop. She pushed gently, but then held it and told me to breathe through the discomfort. Shame on me for allowing this! I was very uncomfortable last night and my knees seem more swollen today. I see the nice therapist tomorrow and am going to ask if I can see her from now on. I'm scheduled with the pushy therapist for the following 3 visits. If I can't change therapists, I'm going to cancel PT after tomorrow. My DH thinks I'm exaggerating, but they aren't his knees.

My PTs did the same thing but I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet, so I believed that they had to do that.

Now I know better and things will go much differently if I have another knee done!

It’s your knee and you have the final say what happens to it.

Agreed 100%! You have to have your own 'voice' in the PT process. I have allowed my PT to apply some pressure 'about' my implant area, along with guiding me thru extended stretching. I want the help - I get that from time around gyms/ coaches. I get the concept of pushing beyond some discomfort, to some extent; even at home, learning to relax and going a bit further/ incrementally.

But NO Forcing and NO Boss-Talking. Nope. I will not allow it. I've declined a few over-bearing techniques - and we then tried other options for my specific TKR and per my recovery time-frame.

Last edited:
Physical therapy with the nice therapist went well today. I was not in pain afterwards. I managed to make very slow complete rotations on the stationary bike!!!

I was able to switch my remaining appointments to the nice therapist. I have now lost my sense of dread for upcoming therapy appointments.

My 90 year-old father went to the ER today for an issue, but was able to go home. While there, I mentioned to the ER doctor that I just had bilateral knee replacement and cannot help my parents at this time. She immediately told me about her knee replacement a year ago. We compared incisions. She bent her knee all the way back and sideways. It was amazing. She credited vigorous massage therapy after her healing process. Interesting.... I wonder if others have found massage therapy to be helpful.

My PT does great massage stuff. It’s definitely helpful to me.

How cool Bikinglynn! Glad you get the good PT & made a complete rotation on the bike. I hope I do as well as you have in 6 weeks when I have my bilateral TKR. I got a new stationary bike last week as my old one could not set tension to zero.

I have been thinking about knee /leg massage so following your post with interest.
Take it easy on the static bike I was told by the assistant surgeon to do 30 minutes everyday on a static bike, I initially found it easy whilst doing it but "oh boy " did I pay the price that night and following day...I have since decided that my 4 month old knee isn't yet ready for such a punishment and am sticking to walking for the time being :)

30 minutes everyday on a static bike
That is training, not recovery. This is how to gain ROM using a bike as an aid to stretching.
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

Yesterday was an eye-opener. I was feeling good and decided to do a few of the exercises recommended by the physical therapist. I also walked around the house quite a bit more than usual. Everything felt good, until it didn't. Later in the evening, I started hurting and continued to do so through the night. I have planted myself in the recliner today with my ice packs.

My lesson from this has been that I must stick to the number of reps or time spent with an activity recommended by PT and not keep going because I think I can handle it. I can't expect my knees to tell me when to stop at this early stage.

I can't expect my knees to tell me when to stop at this early stage.
Yes you can, cos they did. But they don't say 'Stop this now' they say 'Nyaaaah nyaaaah that'll teach yoooooou-oooooooooo!' :rotfl:

Always do just a little bit more than last time, stop, wait 24 hours.

@Roy Gardiner Thank you for clarifying- yes I too thought 30 minutes excessive and my knee certainly didn't appreciate it. Walking for the time being will do me just fine plus I have a mini floor peddler which works well for me too.

I'm at 5+ weeks post op and wondering if anyone else has had a problem with being cold. I wear sweat pants, long underwear shirts, fleece jackets, wool socks and keep my thermostat pretty warm. I get so chilled sometimes, I have to cover up with a couple of small blankets to get warm. I thought it was because of the ice packs, but even with using them less, I still get very chilled.

Is this a normal part of the healing process? My knees are the only part of me that stays warm all of the time.

I froze the first 8 weeks! Under covers with jacket, hat, mittens and ice machine. I think it is normal. I think it affects some folks more than others. Finally figured out I could use a heating pad to warm me up a bit. Wish I figured that out weeks earlier.

Many of us are cold in the early part of recovery.

Glad to hear this is normal. I'll just put on more clothes.
I thought it was just me. Cold as well. I wonder if your body pulls energy from the heat to help with healing? I never sleep in sweats and am currently, even with the weather nice in MO right now.

My TLKR was on 1/21/20 and also cold most of the time. I, too, started using a heating pad a few days ago since adding layers of clothing wasn't helping.

Always cold. The icing makes me colder. I wear more layers than I ever did before.

I had my replacement in June, a hot time for Virginia. I stayed wrapped up and would have to go outside and sit on the deck in 90+ degrees to warm up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts