Bilateral TKR Bikinglynn's Recovery Thread

@bikinglynn I just have to tell you, every time I see your username, I don’t see the word biking right away, I see the word bikini! Then I look again and see biking. (Maybe I spend too much time on here! :heehee: ) Anyway, it gives me a chuckle.

Last night fit the roller coaster I was told to expect. Kind of a long, uncomfortable night. I slept in bits, and counted the minutes to the next pill. Even though I wasn't doing anything like exercise yesterday, I was up and down with no real rest for the entire day. It was good, but my knees must have felt ignored. (spoiled babies!)

I'm going to continue avoiding bed during the day. The recliner is plenty comfortable and encourages getting up and down more often.

83521749_2671882789563034_2541232832219447296_n.jpeg

I’m slammed with a cold today, so my sinuses are trying to get me to put my spoiled knee in time out so I can spoil them instead.

Bad nights stink; they take forever to get through. Have I mentioned that I listen to audio books when I can’t sleep? Even when they don’t put me to sleep, they keep me company and sometimes I actually learn something so it feels like time well spent. If I fall asleep, I just back up the recording next time I listen. I love non-fiction for listening or an old favorite novel that I know well. Let me know if you want recommendations.

It’s funny how those bad nights can sneak up on you. Just when I get two good nights then I have another sleepless one. Funny before this surgery I was thinking of sleeping in and catching up on sleep while off work...something no one warned me to expect. I have been up earlier everyday than I would if I was back to work. I read and use audiobooks. Not sure I retain much, but it helps keep my mind off not sleeping! @Helizabug...That cold is going through my house and I am trying hard to keep from getting it! Feel better.

Yesterday was OK. Last night had slightly longer stretches of sleep, which was good, and bad. I had some nasty dreams last night. No nightmares about violence, but dreams that made me very sad. I think my mood is now affected by them.

I've been questioning whether my pain medicine is as effective as it should be for me. This morning I added one Tylenol along with the Norco. I was told I could take up to 1,000 mg of Tylenol per day without problem. This is my first time to try, but my knees are hurting pretty bad today. I'm still waiting for the drugs to kick in. If I see a big improvement, I may start the switch to Tylenol only.

Today will be my first real PT session. After my pitiful evaluation visit, I'm hoping they will have low expectations, and not give me a hard time. I dread going.

So, I think I am progressing just fine, but my mood is a little dark today. The weather is matching my mood. Some sunshine would certainly be welcome.

Today will be my first real PT session. After my pitiful evaluation visit, I'm hoping they will have low expectations, and not give me a hard time. I dread going.
You need to stay in control of everything at PT. It's your knee, not there's. They might stress that you have to bend so-in-so by this certain time. That's is not true. Your knee is different. It's yours, making it different from everyone else's. Stay firm and not let them hurt you or depress you. Gentle movements is all you need to recover from this surgery.

If it turns out you don’t like this PT group there are lots more to choose from.

I will do my own rehab at home next time around. I look back and can’t believe what I endured, all because of their opinion of how to recover. Not all PTs and not all surgeons agree on how this recovery should go. Therefore, our opinion counts the most.

The PT visit went fine. I hurt so bad the day of the evaluation, I was in no mood to be there. Today, the therapist was kind and gentle. It was a bit of a workout, but only what I felt like doing. She never told me to try harder or touched me to increase the ROM. The therapist I saw the other day came over to see how I am doing. He was very worried about me the other day, and was happy to see that I'm feeling better. I'm glad I went into therapy with the information I got from Bonesmart. I think it is making me a more active participant in the direction and extent of my therapy.

Wonderful news that the PT appointment went well!

This evening was the first time I could focus on reading a book. I have quite a few borrowed from friends. It was an entertaining mystery, and I lost myself in it. What a pleasure to not be thinking about my knees for a while!

I discovered a new pain at PT yesterday. My right IT band is acting up. I've never had this problem before, ever. The therapist gently isolated the source of pain. When she pressed on it, it hurt all the way to my knee. Has anyone else experienced this? It bothers me most when my leg is elevated on the 3-pillow tower. It zings me now and again, even if I'm still. The therapist said ice, rest, and elevation. Does anyone know other things to relieve this, or will it pass in a few days?

I have some of that myself. I am not sure what about this activated it. In yoga classes in the past they would have you use a foam roller to loosen that up but I found that very painful to do and could not tell if it helped, so I dont do that. Not sure what else helps.

I've heard of the foam roller business, and that it really hurts. I read some articles on the internet that said the roller is not an effective treatment. If I don't have a good reason to hurt myself, forget it! Maybe if I ignore it, it will go away. :bored:

Thank you, Sistersinhim. I'm trying the acupressure from the link, and it feels pretty good.

Just got home from post-op visit. Staples were removed with slight discomfort. Dr. was happy with ROM and general state of recovery. It's amazing how exhausting an outing like that can be. I'm now snug in my recliner with my blanket, books, and laptop. Lunch is being prepared by my DH. I just took a pain pill, so everything is looking up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom