Bilateral TKR Bikinglynn's Recovery Thread

bikinglynn

Country
United States United States
Surgery went well on Wednesday. I just got home and am lying in bed with ice on both knees. Day 2 was rough, but once we got the dosage adjusted on the pain meds, things smoothed out. I'm looking forward to a quiet, dark room tonight, although the hospital really was very comfortable. I'm supposed to go for my initial PT evaluation on Monday. We'll see if I feel like leaving the house!

Hello @bikinglynn - and :welome: to recovery.

I've copied the above post from your pre-op thread and started this recovery thread for you.
Please continue to post about your recovery here, in this thread.

Here's your recovery reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. You should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you, Celle.

Wow! I thought I was doing well today until the very short ride home from the hospital. That exhausted me and caused quite a bit of pain. I'm settled in with ice, pain meds, and a cup of tea, and everything is calming down. The left knee is so much worse than the right. The Physician Assistant said that is not uncommon and the right knee may hurt worse tomorrow.

:wowspring: 2 knees done on the same day - that is impressive here in Portugal they wouldn't do a bilateral on the same day you would have to wait at least 6-8 months apart.
Plus side you get to have both knees recovered at the same time whereas by the time my left knee is fully healed- most likely my right will need doing :heehee:
Wishing you all the best, my advice is keep positive it really does get better, BoneSmart is a mine of information, great for making virtual friends whom are all so supportive and there is always someone online somewhere around the world which is great in the wee hours whilst all the non TKR's are fast asleep:sleeep:

I had one done on Wednesday and have had similar experience to you. Coming home has been exhausting and it is swollen and hurts since the blocks wore off. Hard day 2 . Going to bed. It gets better from here but I think it will be a few more days like this for me. Good luck

Glad it went well! Hope you have fast healing & an easy recovery.

These early weeks are tough, but everything improves. In the meantime ice and elevation, meds that work for you, favorite distractions (of which, I can share many), and allowing people to help you can make things better. Sometimes, I had to narrow my focus to just music on headphones and found I was dancing in my head while doing heel pumps.

So good to here from you and know that you time in hospital was adequate and comfortable. I am surprised they are not sending a PT to you home. I had home PT the first two weeks for my one TKR! Do as much as you can. If you feel you cannot make that appointment go for the next day. Everyday is a step, if not literally, in terms of healing. Listen to your body.
...I'm supposed to go for my initial PT evaluation on Monday. We'll see if I feel like leaving the house!

All normal I would say. One knee/ leg is going to respond before the other, then go hide in a corner when it wants to alternatively to let the other knee/leg come out and play I'd imagine.

You've braved alot to do both knees at once. Now it's time to be good and gentle to yourself. Marshall your support systems at every level you need, take your time, and know that we are here for you.
I thought I was doing well today until the very short ride home from the hospital. That exhausted me and caused quite a bit of pain.

Swelling, big time! Got up, went to the bathroom, walked a circle or two in the living room, then went back to bed. 2 pain pills, an apple, compression stockings, ice packs all around, and 3-pillow elevation. Sweet relief. I slept through my last pain med time, but the main discomfort is from the swelling. Couple of sausages ready to pop. I wonder if I should set an alarm and get up every hour to walk for the next 24 hours? The Physician Assistant said the worst swelling will be Sunday, and I want to stay on top of that. The meds are making me goofy, so I'm keeping a log of when I take them. My BF has been a fantastic caregiver.

Congrats to you, Bikinglynn and to you, too, Loneshark64. Wishing you the best as you continue to heal. Remember to baby yourself during these early days of recovery. Ice, meds and rest will be your friends. I had RTKR on 8/20/19 and will be having my LTKR on 1/21/20. Can't wait to join you in "recovery" and share experiences.

Me too I am full-on goofy with these medications. Skipped one and paid for it though so now I am logging everything and my wife is on the case.

I wonder if I should set an alarm and get up every hour to walk for the next 24 hours?
There is no need to wake up just to walk. You need your sleep, which can be very hard to come by, in this recovery! My surgeon’s assistant said to walk a bit every hour that I was awake. She emphasized the “awake” as they’d had a patient who came in and said how tired she was. It turned out she was doing just what you said, setting an alarm to wake up to walk every hour.

Swelling is going to happen, your legs are very upset with this surgical assault. Gentle foot pumps and short walks are good.

Formal outpatient PT, in these early days, is not as necessary as we are led to believe, as long as you walk around the house throughout the day. If you don’t feel up to going on Monday, postpone the appointment. @Celle ‘s surgron doesn’t allow any PT for the first month, so the knee can get a good start on healing.

Proper elevation with 3 pillows was amazing. I did not have that in the hospital. I was warned not to put anything to cause a bend in my knees. We were checking the photo on the Bonesmart site against my pillows. I got up for bathroom and a couple of circles around the living room just now. The swelling has eased up. I read that people lose weight after surgery. I've gained about 8 pounds, and am not eating much. I suspect it's fluid and hardware.

I lost weight... after the mass water they pumped me up with was lost. I don't suspect the hardware contributes much. I am trying to eat better to loose weight beyond. I figure less weight can only help implant work better.

Logging helped me with meds and sleep (not that I got much those early weeks). I continue to log now my PT and general exercise.
Me too I am full-on goofy with these medications. Skipped one and paid for it though so now I am logging everything and my wife is on the case.

Rest, rest and more as Jockett said you don't need to be walking about. You have your first full and second weeks for that. Even if your mind says different IMO, your body needs rest from this MAJOR surgery (dual in your case).

Per my one TKR, I slept no more than 3.5 hours a night for two weeks. I countered that by forcing myself to lay still and REST if lieu of sleeping.

I pumped my ankles, raised my leg here and that as I could alot those first days home if I was not up to counteract blood clots. Give your body time to restore and regenerate.

Well, I don't sell the stuff, so I'm not plugging it for money, but... a friend asked how the bowel situation is going. Of course, it isn't, much, with the pills and all. She brought me Smooth Move Tea, and swore it would help. I had a cup last night, and she was right. The tea was pleasant tasting and the results were excellent. My first helpful hint of my thread.

A nurse in my husband’s doctor’s office just recommended that tea to us, it’s on my grocery list! Hopefully I can get it at Walmart or Target, the two stores I go to most often.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom