TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

I've been a week and a half without pt and managing on my own until I start the new therapist. I feel pretty good, doing heel slides as described here. No one is measuring my Rom but I've been using a yard stick to measure from my butt to my heel and the distance has shrunk considerably. And no excruciating forced bending that left me too swollen to bend much for a day or 2. I'm doing the exercises he gave me but just one set of 10, 2 or 3 times a day rather than 3 sets in a session as he had instructed. I'm really enjoying bike riding. Generally not causing swelling except when I increase the amount. I rode with some friends the other day - the first time with anyone besides my patient husband as I didn't want to feel a need to keep up. Just 12.5 miles with a break half way for a snack. It felt great though the next day I was a little more swollen. But just cutting back the next day and icing and it is back.

Bikeknit,
I am curious if you can ride your bicycle, you ROM must be fine. Why are you pushing for ROM?
You are healing well, the cycling you are doing is enough to naturally increase your ROM.
Here are the ROM numbers needed to do functional activities.
These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.

ROM (range of motion) information, will help you estimate your ROM.

@pumpkin. I think you are right. I can ride my bike comfortably and the heel slides are helping me get beyond that. I have only been measured once in the time since my surgery. Not sure why my pt wouldn't do it more often but he wouldn't. That was at 6 weeks and my extension was 4. My flexion was 105 and my knee was somewhat swollen. I think my extension is probably 0 and my flexion may be approaching 120 since I took things into my own hands. My doc wants me at 0 and 120 before he does the surgery on my second knee, scheduled for Sept. 22nd - I think because he is a big believer in the window of opportunity. I still feel he is a good surgeon even if he can't let go of this idea and I ended up having my first surgery postponed twice. I really want the surgeries behind me and if I can satisfy this without doing myself harm, I'm willing to do it. I'm finding that doing things at my own pace is working well. Way less swelling. Way more progress. I really didn't like my physical therapist as I could not get him to explain the reasons we were doing things or talk to me about my goals. I think the new therapist will be much better. Not ideal I know but my knees have been bone on bone for awhile and I want to be able to hike again which takes 2 knees. .

Thought I would report how things are going with my new physical therapist. First, she evaluated my issues specifically and felt that I was very close to where I need to be. She identified 2 issued holding me back: continued swelling and the instability of my other knee.

For swelling, she encouraged me to continue icing, did a massage on my knee that definitely reduced the swelling and taught me to do it, and since her techniques are less aggressive, that also helps. She also dropped the exercises focused on strength til we solved the swelling and Rom issues.

She encouraged me to stop walking for exercise and to use a cane and knee brace to support the right knee (still needing repair) when I do walk. She felt that the compensation for the bad knee was keeping me from getting extension in the repaired knee. I am continuing to use my bike to help loosen my knee and get flexion.

On my third session, after her magic massage, I measured 0 for extension and 120 for flexion. Yeah! I can get my second knee done and now have a wonderful therapist for this knee.

For anyone making decisions about having physical therapy, I'd say it can be helpful. IF you find someone with good commnication, some talent at diagnosing what is holding you back, and non-aggresive techniques. Your issues will not be the same as someone else's so your theraspist needs to see you as an individual, not just a generic knee replacement. If you are unhappy, change. I asked my doctor for 3 places to call when I decided to change, then called with my questions.

My opinion is that physical therapy is an art informed by science. Various practitioners will be more skilled at diagnosing problems and communicating with you.

Happy tp hear you found a PT that understands what each individual needs for recovering from a joint replacement.
Great advice on choosing a PT that works for you!

see you on the other side for the second knee.

Very happy that you found someone who understands and will work with you and be there for your second knee. Great job advocating for yourself. Onward to no knee pain and two strong knees.

Tuesday I will have my second knee replaced. That is assuming that my covid test is, as expected, negative. I had some magical thinking going into this that I would get one knee done and would find that I didn't need to have the second done. Nope. Having one functioning knee only made me realise how bad they both were and that I won't be going on long hikes without both.

The good news is that 3 months out I am feeling pretty good about the first knee. 0 degrees extension, 122 degrees flexion. Riding my bike up to 13 miles on mostly flat terrain. Switched to a much more communicative physical therapist.

I'm curious if there are others on here who replaced their 2 knees about 3 months apart. How did managing the two knees at different stages of recovery go? Any advice or things to think about?

I am going into this second operation less frightened and more certain that this is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Hey, Bikeknit,
I see you are down for surgery Tuesday. Me, too. Left Hip. At least we will have a chance to get a lot of knitting done while icing. I’ll be thinking about you and wish you a smooth operation and a bump-free recovery.

Howdy @Woodstockhip Thanks for the good wishes. Just returned from getting my nose tickled for my covid test. Best of luck to you and your soon to be new hip.

I had mine yesterday! It did tickle, didn’t it. At least it was the short, self-administered one and not that monster that goes up to your brain stem!

Last Friday I told my online Spanish class that I got a new rolling pin (rodillo) over the summer - when I, of course, meant to say that I got a new knee (rodilla). For some reason I find this particularly hilarious since people sometimes use a rolling pin to massage their tight band after knee replacement.

Well you should have another shiny new knee. I hope you are nicely iced up and have great pain medication. have a peaceful night.

Well you should have another shiny new knee. I hope you are nicely iced up and have great pain medication. have a peaceful night.
Yep, laying here in my post surgery drowsiness. Pretty comfortable except when I walk on it. Working with the staff here to deal with that. Hope you are doing well also

Congratulations on your new shiny knee. Just think in a few months there will be no pain coming from those knees.

Congrats on your brand spanking New knee- I had Both of mine done around 3 and a half months apart and I am glad I did- They have their good days and their bad days. It is a rollercoaster, but I have never once regretted doing them close together. The pain that I ever have now is only healing pain, which if I was not on this site and did not know any better that it takes a year to heal up, I would be extremely worried that they still felt stiff and swollen some days, but after my right TKR in january, I really stressed out lefty , by making it my anchor knee, it started going south a few weeks after surgery number #1 and I really didn’t have a choice anymore. Best wishes on a great recovery!

Thanks all. I had my surgery early yesterday morning. All went well and I don't hurt much in bed but putting weight on this 2nd knee is much more painful than the first. I can't take oxycodone or hydrocodone due to nausea. While I was still under the nerve block I had 5 degrees extension and 115 flexion. No way can I do that this morning! I'm a little worried about getting through the first few days without the hard stuff but my nausea was intense. My pain is very low while lying in bed but hurts quite a bit when I put weight on the knee or during some moves. Otherwise I feel good and looking forward to having a matching set.

@Bikeknit Welcome to the other side again! Can you ask for anti-nausea medication? Works well for me. Be sure and work with staff to get that pain managed before you leave the hospital.

Hey, we did it! I had my new hip installed yesterday. I’m sure you’re thrilled to be on the other side of this. I asked for anti-nausea medication and it seems to be working well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom