Bike riding post op

lgruberg

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone..Im new to this site. I'm wondering if there are any serious bike riders out there with hip replacements? My surgeon gave me the go ahead at 8 weeks..all was going well until I had a fall right on my operated hip! I didn't clip out on time and lost my balance..the bike was not moving and down I went. :( (11 weeks post op) I think I'm ok..just bruised and shaken.. and now scared to ride..

• Agree
Reactions: REM
Hi @lgruberg
I don't blame you. I'd be afraid to ride after that incident also.

I know @REM and also @mcopt have bikes. Not sure if either has ridden since THR but I know they plan to.
@Irish Joe who experienced bi-lateral THR replacement does ride, post surgery.
I'm sure a couple of these guys will weigh in.

Please provide your surgery date so it can be added as your signature.
A great weekend to you!

I've not rode yet. Wanted to be at 3 month's on my March 20th replacement before trying it because I lost alot of muscle in my legs. Worried if it leaned to far over and it fell I'd not be able to pick it up. Rain chance this weekend is only 30% and if the love bugs are gone by then it's getting a bath and polish and we're going for a ride.

Hi All

I am / was a very keen road cyclist and a couple of years ago, before the hip pain got too much, I was averaging 150-200 miles per week. I continued riding a gym bike right up to 3 months before surgery but then transferred onto the cross trainer. In my experience 'serious' cycling in a racing position puts a great deal of strain on the hip flexors and can over-develop the quads at the expense of all the other muscles around the hip. The PT in my local gym pointed this out to me and I got much less OA pain and discomfort when I transferred to on the cross trainer. I also worked on adduction/abduction machines, to balance the muscle development.

I would personally not contemplate going back onto the bike until +10 weeks from surgery, and then taking it easy (which is really hard if you've been keen!!). I am more or less resigned to missing the rest of this year from an outdoor cycling viewpoint, and will let myself in gently in the gym in due course.

Also I raised the 'what happens if I fall off?' question with my surgeon. He said first, he would swear at me, second I'm unlikely to break the new hip but third, I could break my femur - bone tends to break before metal. To be honest, that makes me quite apprehensive about continuing with road cycling. I fell off very heavily 3 years ago at 23 mph on my right hip and shoulder and I'm pretty sure that, more than anything else, was responsible for accelerating the decline in the right hip joint. I'd be very sad to hang up or sell my road bike, but the longevity of my new hip comes first.

Hope that helps.

The instructions my OS surgeon gave me after 6 weeks was Don't Fall Down!. Anything you do has a risk factor, just depends on how risky you are. I don't ride a road bike any more, and I'm not going to ride my motorcycles but the biggest reason is traffic. I will however get back in my racecar and ride my scooter at the track.

You could be right, @REM, because HE is a SHE :heehee:
I DIDN'T check the gender on the avatar and just assumed - Motorcycle / Male
So you're probably right......but really only partially right, because you didn't catch the gender either. :rotfl:
At least I'm in good company! Thank goodness you and I aren't running this show :loll:

So sorry @lgruberg I'm gonna go hide now.:bolt:

@lgruberg Yup. OS gave me the go ahead at 3mos. I will ride 50mi this week. I have a habit of overdoing things so I have been carefully managing my recovery with respect to cycling.

Officially I am in 25-miles shape at 12 mos. Going to ride at least 25 on Saturday as my 1st anniversary present to myself.

I had trochanteric bursitis last month that reminded me I'm not 18 anymore. It put my training on hold for 2-wks.

I post on my thread and the cycling club page occasionally.

Saw physio yesterday for 3 week appointment on second THR first is now 4 months old I asked about cycling I have a static spin bike and a step through e bike also a Triumph Thunderbird motorcycle her advice was spin bike ok with light load and reasonable cadence no standing though and good idea to use cleats to exercise legs on upward pull as well as push down also keep as upright position as possible to avoid I think she said impingment and use every other day increasing effort gradually with the e bike just short journeys it is upright anyway and don't fall the off ! The motorcycle feels comfortable to sit on and I can work brakes and gears no problem can get feet down on ground comfortably which I couldn't before THRs might try a very short ride next week but dont tell @Mojo333 :whistle:

Hey guys ,
So to complete my bio, my surgury was March 20 , the on right side. And I'm female if that matters. Ice beenbike riding for 40 years, it' my passion ! (Road bike)
Went to get an x ray after my fall.. I'm very grateful I'm ok. . Just cut and bruised. Doc was advising me to switch my clipped to some new kind of pedal that lets' your shoe stick but your not locked n ..i had no idea what he was talking about..time to do some research!

• Agree
Yikes! A fall...that had to be scary.
Glad you're okay. Well, you're in good company. A few cyclists here as you can see.
Thanks for the surgery date, it will be added.
Hope you have a great week!
@lgruberg

I switched to a recumbent trike about 10 years ago, when it became impossible to straddle an upright bike. There's adjustment - you're slower, it takes a while to get your "recumbent legs", hills will always be more challenging than on an upright - but even with the option of riding an upright in my future, I have to say I'll probably stick with my recumbent. It's far more comfortable on long rides of 60+, it's a LOT of fun, and it may help protect my investment in replacement parts.

Last edited:
@lgruberg.
We have the same surgery date. You on your right me on my left. Only difference is the only time I peddle my bike is when I'm backing it into a parking spot. Lol.

Wise advice from your surgeon about not locking in! You need to be able to catch yourself if you may have a fall. Better safe than sorry.

Get back on that bike and enjoy your new hip. These implants are pretty tough. A bit of modification on your current set up and you are good to go again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back