Lounge Doctor

THR BigDon on the other side!

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
The other side.
Thanks to all of you for the well wishes and the advice. Every bit of it helped.
I arrived at 6:30am yesterday morning and was admitted straight away. I was in the waiting bay just after 7 and greeted by anaesthetist who administered feel good drugs and carted me into theatre. Spinal block was given and that was a breeze. The rest is all blurry from there.
I have spent the past 24 hours asleep due to the drugs administered in surgery and due to a morphine patch placed on my chest. A few vomits when trying to get up due to the above.
Physio has been to see me twice and I’m working on activation exercises. This is a good learning curve. The turtle won the race not the hare.
I’ll be in hospital for 3 nights.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@BigDon You will notice I moved your first post op post to a recovery thread for you in the hip recovery forum. Welcome to the other side!

I'll leave your guidelines here for you as well.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Howdy guys.

I’m into my third morning , second night in hospital.
So far so good. I’m about to get up with the physiotherapy shortly to take on my first real walk. I feel like I have purchased something cool and am eager to try it out. The hospital stay has had it challenges. Mostly due to the nausea I’ve had from the narcotics. Slowly getting on top of that now.
Prior to having the surgery I noticed a lot of “ log leg “ comments in other threads. I can say I totally understand this now. Engaging the legs muscles on the thr side is a battle.
The majority of time In Hospital has been spent asleep. My wife came to see me yesterday evening and we had a romantic hospital dinner. Small things like that make this process all the more easier.
I hope I can be discharged tomorrow, some fresh air is much needed.

DancerHips

Country
United States United States
Hi--Sounds like things are moving along. Hope the nausea stops soon--so many people have that. Though I didn't, the pain had diminished enough so I stopped narcotics after a week (no nausea but lots of fatigue from them).

It should be nice for you to be home tomorrow. Good luck on your recovery!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. Let us know how that first walk goes.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the healing side of the forum. Congrats on your new hip!
I‘m sorry you’re dealing with nausea...that‘s no fun. I hope you’re feeling better today.

Here‘s a little info on Log Leg -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

Another option to use as an assistive device is a belt from a bathrobe. Works well and since most of us have one, it’s FREE. :wink:

Best wishes as you begin healing!
@BigDon

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Howdy

I am home! Sitting in the recliner i borrowed from my in laws, balcony doors open looking out to the ocean. The fresh air after 3 days in hospital is great, somewhat peaceful.
I have had three days with the physio, walking with crutch assistance along with activation exercises. All seems to be moving well aside from the stiffness. I am under instruction from the surgeon to use crutches for 4 weeks. He is wanting the titanium to bond to the bone as best it can. So crutching around and dodging my big black Labrador it is for the next month. Mentally i have been good, aside from a flat spot yesterday afternoon where i felt a mountain of rehab is ahead of me. ( the old why did i sign up for this ). I expect that is a normal thing.
All in all I'm feeling stronger each day. Pain meds are minimal and fatigue is easing.
So far so good.

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
I thought i would share some thoughts now the surgery has come and gone. Innocuous the following may seem, however if anything i have to share helps anyone else like the stories of others have helped me, then that's ideal.

Day 2 at home. Slept ok last night, started on the back and rolled to the non operative side occasionally with a stiff pillow between the legs. Pain meds are paracetamol 3 times a day, 1 anti inflammatory, half and aspirin and something stronger before bedtime. I'm taking Endone which is 5mg oxycodone which i will wean off in a day or so. The leg is stiff and swollen. Although movement is a gradual curve, i can already get my pelvis to sit underneath my torso and engage my core muscles. This is great as prior to the surgery i could not, resulting in lower back loading and an increase in lower back pain.

Make no mistake, this is big surgery. Life changing surgery. It requires a strong mind as outcomes are not instant, they will take work, rehab and an outlook for the better. It's early days for me however what i have found in this time that help are small and subtle things. I get up, do some exercises, have breakfast and a shower. trying to keep as normal routine as possible. My wife and I drive to our local coffee shop for coffee. I wind the window down and feel the fresh outside air. There is a lot of downtime in rest ( tv, phone, laptop etc, ) so i put my phone down, enjoy our coffee and i chat about normal life things.
A sense of normalcy in daily routine takes away the notion that you're unable to function. You're not, you can manage most things with a little help.

8 weeks is about the time i can start getting back into golf. I look forward to that. Give yourself things to work towards and things to look forward to.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I'm taking Endone which is 5mg oxycodone which i will wean off in a day or so.
Big tip - take your prescribed pain medication until you start forgetting doses. You need your medication to increase your mobility. Most people start forgetting their midday dose when the body is ready to wean off.

DGrant

Country
BigDon, glad you made it over to this side!
Yeah it's different being post op for sure.
I hope you continue your progress until your feeling better than new. It's a very interesting thing when we rediscover our abilities, just amazing.
I'm about 48hrs post-op and already rediscovering many things.. like my height and posture has instantly returned. Standing at my sink shaving and realizing I'm actually straight and tall.. without even thinking about it. Now looking down at the floor occasionally and realizing it's a bit further down and I'm not hunched over with back pain.
It's just beginning. Keep up the good work and great reports... and congrats on your new hip!

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Hi guys

It's been 4 days at home. smooth sailing so far, although it is boring. Today I don't feel the need to take any pain killers.
The hip feels ok, however there has been occasion where it has hurt due to me moving under mild load, which seems to occur getting in and out of bed.
I have significant bruising around my leg and my thigh is corked from the surgery. The Corked thigh is my only daily battle. I have had a lot of these when playing football an movement is key to remedying this, so its a catch 22.
I have noticed that i cannot lift my leg all that much when it is straight. I can get good Quad muscle activation but when trying to lift the leg when straight, it is a battle. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have been instructed to non weight bear for a month. When did people start to manage walking unaided and confident in putting load through the operated leg?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
When did people start to manage walking unaided and confident in putting load through the operated leg?
This time frame is different for everyone. And if you are non-weight bearing your clock starts at 4 weeks out.

Don't be surprised if your muscles atrophy a bit during this time. Slow and steady!

DGrant

Country
Hi guys

It's been 4 days at home. smooth sailing so far, although it is boring. Today I don't feel the need to take any pain killers.
The hip feels ok, however there has been occasion where it has hurt due to me moving under mild load, which seems to occur getting in and out of bed.
I have significant bruising around my leg and my thigh is corked from the surgery. The Corked thigh is my only daily battle. I have had a lot of these when playing football an movement is key to remedying this, so its a catch 22.
I have noticed that i cannot lift my leg all that much when it is straight. I can get good Quad muscle activation but when trying to lift the leg when straight, it is a battle. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have been instructed to non weight bear for a month. When did people start to manage walking unaided and confident in putting load through the operated leg?
BigDon, from my experience and reading, each replacement is different for everyone, and even one hip to the other on the same person. I read alot of variables in doctors orders as well. I believe it's best to listen to your specific surgeon, as they know your case and history, and any particular conditions better then anyone else.
I will say in my case, my first LTHR in 2015 (posterior) I had major bruising on my butt/lower thigh area, but not much swelling other then incision site area with significant stiffness for a week. With my recent RTHR(anterior, May5th) I have very little if any bruising, yet my thigh is swolen pretty good, from the hip area down to near my knee, and it's slightly stiff.. yet no pain.
For the first few days this time I had very little lifting strength, and couldn't get my knee/thigh up at all, so I had to basically drag my foot. That's subsided greatly now though, and I have significant ability to lift my leg/foot for a normal step/stride.
I'm not sure what your stature is, but it might be big(hence BigDon), so maybe that has something to do with weight bearing restriction your surgeon put on you. I'm 6'1" and right at 300lbs so I'm not small by any standard, yet my weight bearing instructions immediately after surgery are "full weight/as tolerated"... so maybe your surgeon knows or believes you're best to not bear down on that hip. I'd definitely ask him why though if you're curious. It might be a part of his criteria he needs to follow by some standards.
I will close today by highly suggesting you take some kind of pain medications, even if it's two 500mg Tylenols every 4hrs. Those are basically a very safe and effective non-narcotic pain killer, and definitely work if taken as directed. You don't want to get caught behind the pain. I'm personally not a fan of heavy narcotics as they make me nauseous, but those do work very well for at least the first few days or when the going gets tough until you get a routine. I'm now only taking the narcotics at night because I get good rest using them, and then Tylenol through the day and my mind can work as it should... but it's up to you. I'll look forward to your next report. I hope it's a good one. Hang in there. :)

Eman85

supremo
Country
Don't know what a "corked" thigh is but swelling and bruising are normal and ice is the best thing for those and pain. Log leg is common too and no amount of forcing or exercise does anything, time is the only cure as it has to heal. I didn't have any weight bearing restrictions with both THR's, had them decades ago with other hip surgeries. We all want to compare recoveries and timelines but every one and every hip is different. My 2 hips had different recoveries and I also changed my recovery expectations with my second which made it easier on me and the outcome the same in the long run.

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
@DGrant Thanks for the feedback. Our Timelines are much the same along with the procedure. I share the same swelling and stiffness as you. My physio yesterday said the body will heal in its own time and expect to have some swelling for a few months. In regards to weight bearing, My surgeon has given the 4 week instruction as an over precaution. He said he wants to give the hip the best chance at migrating into the bone, removing any possibility of things becoming lose. Due to my age he wants the best outcome. I am very grateful for this.

Currently, no pain meds. Anti inflammatory with breakfast and half an aspirin. No joint pain. The continuing battle with a swollen bruised thigh is still with me, but that's easily managed. Ice is the real key. I ice for majority of the day.
I have a home visit from a medical professional later today to inspect my incision. All being well I hope the dressing can be taken down and I can shower without tape and garbage bag.

In summary to date, the worst of the process has been the 24 hours post surgery. I get nauseous to heavy narcotics and anaesthesia. Aside from that it has been reasonably simple and manageable.

OP
OP
B

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Howdy

Completed my first week at home. So far it's been non eventful. Plenty of rest, ice and more rest. I have had two physio sessions, basically a review of the exercises I've been given.

I would like to get some feedback from others in regards to walking after surgery. I am on crutches for another two weeks, however i have tried little steps unassisted. At times i feel fine, others not so great. My knee will collapse inwards slightly. I believe this is my body trying to protect itself. It might take a few goes when I'm allowed to trust my new hip. Well I hope that's the case.
Also, has anyone had any ( raw ) type pain on the inside of the hip ( high up in groin ) post surgery?

DGrant

Country
BigDon, glad you're gaining on things.. and uneventful recovery is good, as long as you're recovering.

I will preface my comment about walking after surgery with, "every person is different, as well as every hip is different(whether its on the same person or not)".

I'm now walking freely other then swinging a cane just because I should have one just in case. At this point the cane just basically helps my cadence, as I'm literally just tapping on the ground for rhythm and cadance as it just swings free in my fingers. When I'm at home in my own surroundings though, no cane today.

It took a few days to get to that point, but for me once I started working on muscle memory of my legs/feet, and focusing on deliberate placement, it just developed rather quickly into what I have today.

My surgery date was May 5th. Being a bilateral recipient(both prosthetic hips) I can probably honestly say this time around is way better then my first one(Nov, 2015).

I was on a walker for about 4 days then graduated in about a day(last Monday I think) from walker to cane, got up Tuesday grabbed the cane and put the walker away for good. After using the cane since Tuesday, I can say today I don't need it, but I'm not done with it. You can do so many clever things with a cane it's ridiculous. I'll miss it when it's gone just because it's handy like that.

I've had no PT, and I've just gone on what I know from the first time, as well as reading this site. Good diet, not sitting around for hours at a time(I get up once or twice and hour for a little bit), I drink water(no sodas or anything with heavy sugar). I ditched the narcotics about 5 days ago for good(they really messed with my balance)... and I take 1000mg's Tylenol about every 5hrs now.. so I'm able to spread it through the day without going over 4000mg max per 24hr period.

I also had to lose about 50lbs before surgery(that took me about 4 months), which I'm sure helped dramatically, as well as make sure my diet was conducive to healthy healing and living.. basically higher protein, lower carb, no sugars, low sodium, etc.

Really just a few drastic measures, but all doable, and my pain was my big motivator, and I want to be active as I used to be. I'd blame Covid and/or anything else, but the fact is I'm the ultimate responsible party.. and yeah it was tough... I'm not the big hamburger eating/beer guzzling guy I used to be in my 30's and 40's, as I'm nearing 60 I'm hoping to be around for my kids/grandkids as long as I can.

So this is just my experience, and we're all different, as was my first LTHR.. very different, and it shows that modern medicine/doctors have advanced even in the last 5yrs.

I wish you well.... and I hope you continue your reports... and please keep the hope... Your times coming and you're working hard on it no doubt. :)

Eman85

supremo
Country
Walking is different for all of us and it was different for both of my hips. With my second I was carrying the walker so I wouldn't make noise and wake my wife the first days home. Granted that was a short distance across the living room but walking came easy. But despite being able to walk easily good straight walking seemed to take longer with the second and I felt I used the cane more.
Pain? It seemed to move around, still does. Nothing overly concerning but I still get thigh or groin pains at times.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LisaM
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom