Toes Big toe pain

Harr6302

Country
United States United States
i have had pain in my big toe for several years. I saw a foot dr about ten years ago and found out I'm bone and bone and have bone spurs. He quickly recommended toe joint replacement and I ran as fast as I could. Since then I've suffered and gone to a walk in type clinic and asked for cortisone shots about twice a year, which only last so long.
So what are my options? I had double knee replacement in February 2017 and I don't have funds or lots of time off for this, but it's becoming so painful. Any advice???

@Harr6302 Sorry you are suffering. Foot pain is just not fun!

Unfortunately if your toe is already bone on bone there is not much left to do except replace the joint. I had debridement done on my big toe years ago. But I still had cartilage in the area. I never did get a full range of motion back.

Short of long term pain killers and injections that are already not working there aren't many options. Perhaps our members will chime in with their experience.

Yes, Jaycey has it right.

What is the recovery time for toe joint replacement? Is there PT or just self therapy by walking. Why don't I hear about toe joint replacement like you hear about other joints?

There are two things they do for big toe arthritis. One is they fuse the joint. My stepdaughter had this done and she is not really happy with it. Her big toe is stiff and since they removed the old joint, it is shorter than her second toe now. The doctor recommended to my husband that he have his toe joint replaced. I guess the problem with them is that they are not long lived if you are very active and so sports. Since Bob was ill, he mostly was in the house and did very little. So, the doc did recommend an artificial joint. In some ways it would be good to do it while you are laid up anyway. But, i think there are probably some infection risks that you would need to discuss with your doctor.

Also, Bob had the doctor go in and clear away the arthritis in his toe joint---he had a big bone spur there. There are also paritial replacements and metal resurfacing of the joint.

You obviously need a doc who specializes in toes and feet to look at your joint and tell you what he or she recommends. I think Bob spent about a month in a boot thingy.

Last edited:
Just curious if you have tried a spring plate, foot plate, or turf toe plate? They stabilize your great toe, reducing the stress on your joints.

no I've never heard of those. Guess it's time to make a serious Drs appt
Thanks!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom