BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Big Ronn

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Bigro_nn, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Has any one had their leg put back, twisted after a TKR

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Tags:
  2. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Do you mean a manipulation under anesthesia, where the surgeon bends the leg while your out?

3. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Having your leg misaligned after a knee replacement is extremely rare and not something you need to worry about.
    Can you tell us why that concerns you, @Bigro_nn ?

4. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

My right foot now is turned out by about 25 0/0. I can no longer climb the stairs without holding on to two banister rails

I can no longer ride my Motor bike. I have now lost my Job as I can't do it any more. I now have hip pains Lower back pain and neck pain. I've been of work for 14 months now. And the hospital are saying it's because I have Flat feet. And you say this is nothing to worry about. ????

I'm told insoles in my shoes will correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

5. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

Celle, this is the first time I have managed to put any thing on here. Please look for further comments I have put

6. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

Celle, was it you said my twisted leg was no need to worry

7. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

How do you use this site for some info and help please

8. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

No they put my leg back together so my foot goes to one side. I walk like Charlie Chaplin on one side now. Cost me my job. I've been off work for 14 months now

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator Staff Member

Here is an entire forum with guidance on using BoneSmart. You'll find it under the How To Use This Forum link under the HELP & INFO tab at the top of the page. Mouse hover over the tab and you'll see the link in a drop down menu.

How To Use This Forum

Is it possible for you to post a photo of your leg so that our forum's Nurse Director, @Josephine, can see it? She's in the UK as well and it may help her to know where you had your surgery done and who the surgeon was.

Has your surgeon taken any xrays following surgery? If so, it would also be very helpful to have those posted.

When exactly was your knee replacement surgery? And has this been a problem from Day One? Or did the issues develop later on after the surgery? How are your pain levels.....what causes pain and what can you do that relieves it?

10. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, that was me. You didn't say you had already had your operation.
    So, Ron, @Bigro_nn , I take it that you have had your knee replaced, some time ago? You didn't say that here until your last post, and you posted in the Knee Replacement Pre-Op area, not in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area. I thought that you were preparing for surgery and someone had mentioned the possibility of a leg not being straight. Based on that, I said it was a rare occurrence and not one to worry about.

Please will you now clarify this and tell us your surgery date, if you have already had your knee replaced? We can then move your thread to the appropriate area, so there is no more confusion. It's really rather hard to give appropriate advice when we don't have the full story, you know.

Have you gone back to your surgeon and told him you aren't happy with the result? If you got no help there, you should consider getting a second opinion, from a surgeon who specializes in fixing problem knees.

11. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

Bigro, you are doing fine just posting. However, you're not giving us enough information so that we can visualise what you've had done. Please answer Celle's questions and then give us more information about your knee.

I am supposing that before surgery your leg was deformed similar to this chaps knee, yes? Is that what you mean?

varus deformity.jpg

I'd also be interested to know where you had your operation done, which hospital? And which surgeon if you know his name?

12. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

Hello. I had the knee surgery done on the26.th or 28th October 2015. My op was done by one of Professor Harvey's team at Bournemouth Hospital. Right from the start I said that it was not put back straight.

Even riding the bike in the gym during physio I could not have both feet pointing forward as you would. My physiotherapist said he would give me more exercises and it would turn to the front on its own. I did everything I was told and returned to work after 3 months, but I found it too painful to carry on and was sighed off in April 2016.

I went back in July were I was sent for X-rays by Mr Harvey then again sent me late July for a CT scan. In August I went back for the results and was told by one of his team that the knee must have twisted when put back together and was to dangerous to operate.

So I was given a further 4 months of work and was told it will turn back in this time. On the 12 12 2016 I saw Mr Harvey again. When he enters the room the first thing he said was, 'you don't have to be an orthopaedic surgeon to see that's not right'.

He then sent me to see a Mr Professor Barlow at Dorchester Hospital on the 11th April 2017. I was kept waiting 2 hours wile he sent for my X-rays and CT scans from Bournemouth then I was sent for a further 14 X-rays of my right foot, again my right knee and my right hip. I have always explained that since the knee op I get a lot of hip pain and lower back and neck pain on the right side. It took him a further 2 hours to explain that I have flat feet (that I have had all my life) and that he will make an appointment with Bournemouth hospital to have a insole made for my right shoe and that this will correct my foot.

13. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

14. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

I have as From today lost my Job , had to sell my motor bike. Because the angle of my foot can't apply the brakes. I have been given morphine and paracetamol to take for the constant pain I'm in

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

15. Josephine

I find this an atrocious second opinion! Even I can see by looking at your photos, that your knee replacement is wrong. I checked out Mr Barlow's experience and he's not done very many knee replacements never mind revision surgeries.

But you have a legal right to be referred to another surgeon of your choice (well, my choice/suggestion I suppose!) and this is clearly stated in this legal document Patient's Charter and your right to choose. So if I sussed out another knee surgeon for you to see, would you be interested?

16. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

Yes I would please. I did see my GP last week and told him I would like get another opinion. Even he agreed it was wrong He said he would write to mr Harvey and see if he would let me go to Southampton hospital. I'm afraid I have lost trust in all of them, I think they are covering each other's backs. I will go where ever you want me to go and thank you.

17. Josephine

Ron I deleted your post with your email as it's not a good idea to publish it on the open forum.

You don't want your GP to refer you just to 'a' hospital because if he does that, the appointments people will assign you to just any orthopod.

I will sort you out some very experienced surgeons and you can make a choice and ask your GP to refer you to that man.

But it's late and this search will take me some time so I hope you will forgive me if I leave this till tomorrow.

18. Bigro_nn

Bigro_nn New Member

No that's fine and thank you again for this. Kind Regards. Ronn

19. Josephine

Jolly good! But you know, you don't have to quote a post to reply to it. Specially not if it's one immediately before your response. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page to where it says "Write your reply" and start typing!

20. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

@BigRo nn, Ronn, Josephine will do her best to help you find the best doctor to help you. You have come to the right place.